It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Africans perform kidney transplant between HIV positive patients.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
The first thing many newly HIV diagnosed people hear is that they should destroy any blood or organ donor cards.
However, in South Africa, which has 5.7 million estimated cases of HIV/Aids, doctors have just performed a kidney transplant between an HIV positive donor and recipient. Kidney disease seems partly genetic in SA's population segments, and dialysis is costly and in high demand.
Anti-retrovirals can prolong lives, perhaps even to normal lifespans. So if an HIV positive person needs an organ, why not have it donated by another HIV positive person? Yet, the proceedure seems banned in the US?
I wonder why?

In fact, if an HIV negative person really needs an organ fast, they should have a choice to rather get HIV, rather than an immediate, assured death.

Source:blog.taragana.com...

I would gladly donate blood for other positive people, or my organs, and in an emergency I'd be grateful to get theirs. There may be risks of co-infection with new strains, but it's a chance I'm willing to take.
I'm sure most HIV negative people would also take HIV positive organs, if nothing else was available - or am I wrong in that assumption?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

South Africa, which has 5.7 million estimated cases of HIV/Aids

are you sure ? this number is huge. that would be more than 10 % of the population.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

It's an accurate number. It's about 11% of their population, making South Africa the highest per capita for HIV.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

Absolutely, I've been reading on HIV/Aids now for 6 years now and that's the official number, and many now think that's too low!

Of course one gets minor variations like 5.5 million. We've also abosorbed significant amounts of immigrant populations from other African states, significantly Zimbabwe, which have similar rates, although their public health has been destroyed by African despots.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
You are making a wrong assumption

Why would one want to go through all the suffer and get high medical bill after getting infected with HIV which is supposedly incurable.

I know is I am HIV negative and need an organ, and what is available is HIV positive, I would not.

I speak with experience.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by thepathoverseer

Thanks for that, but since I'm asking a question I'm not sure which assumption you mean?
I'm also not sure of your vantage point or "experience".
I'd love to hear more...

top topics

join