It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forced Drug & Alcohol Testing to get Unemployment Benefits

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Hmm .. many of you have valid points, but I'm still seeing a point that many of you are missing. Lemme try one more time and then I'll give up.

Suppose you have accidental injury insurance paid for by your employer. Like AFLAC or something. You get hurt, can't work, you get the money. But then you heal up and, instead of going back to work, you pretend that you're still hurting in order to keep collecting the money. Now it's fraud, and eventually and collectively it will cause everyone who has that type of insurance to pay more for it.

Unemployment insurance .. same deal. You lose your job, you collect the benefits. Great. But then, instead of actually looking for another job, you decide to get drunk or high every day and enjoy yourself instead of actually looking for a job. Now it's fraud, and ultimately everyone will end up paying higher UI rates ...

If you have life insurance and fake your own death to collect it (via a spouse or family member), it's fraud!

If you claim tornado damage on your house to pay for damages that weren't really caused by the tornado, it's fraud!

If you are collecting unemployment insurance and aren't really looking for employment, it's fraud!

And if you are drunk or high during the workweek when you should be looking for work, then it isn't benefits that you are "entitled" to any more - it's fraud.

Now do you get it?

Everyone who is eligible to receive unemployment benefits due to having had funds paid into the system either by their employer or by them, should definitely receive the benefits when they lose their job. But that doesn't mean they are entitled to KEEP receiving them if they aren't actually trying to find employment.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I think it's a violation of our civil liberties to be drug tested like that.

Can we require mandatory drug and DNA testing for all of our politicians and wealthy, powerful people?

I want to know who is human and whose not.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

I am all for it! Cant very well get a job when your stoned off your rocker anyway. Whats the difference whether an employer tests you or the state gov't tests you ?? They are paying you arent they?? Either way you would get fired. Bring it on!!

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Good. If I'm paying for your roof over your head and your food and other bills, why should you be able to drink, get stoned, and enjoy yourself on my dime?

You wanna do those things, you get a job and throw your own money away, not mine.

Many employers require drug and alcohol testing, why not unemployment benefits as well?

Kudos to the government on this one!

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by hhott

You are assuming getting high or getting drunk would detour you from getting a job? Why? Unless you are a straight alcoholic and drink when you wake up I don't see how any of this could keep you from getting a job.

Lazy people = lazy people.

Lazy people are the type that play video games all day and generally are under the age of 20. Not many adults with families at least just sit around and get #ed up all day.

Lazy people != people that do drugs.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

*sigh*

Most jobs these days require a pre-employment drug/alcohol test. Even Walmart does! You fail the test, you don't get the job. Duh. How simple was that?

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I can't believe people actually think this is a good idea. It's the same as telling obese people they cannot get health care because of all the unhealthy food they keep shoveling into their mouths Get on the scale, if you're at the acceptable weight limit you can have insurance too! These people are causing a lot more burden on the average taxpayer. But we will never do it as we all probably know more obese people than drug addicts.

Drugs have and will continue to have it's part in society regardless of what is done to prevent it. In my hometown drug testing is mandatory for almost any job. Did this make an ideal society? The answer is no. Sure most people stopped doing the drugs that they were being tested for and instead found a different drug that doesn't show up on these tests or easily detoxed in the form of different drugs manufactured by drug companies like vicodin, oxycontin, etc. The result is many of them changing from good people into the typical crack addict who will sell out, cheat, lie just to get their fix. This new semi legal addiction is enveloping the nation, take something away and people will always seek comfort in other ways, most times not for the better. Oh and by the way the crime rate jumped higher since drug testing for jobs became mandatory. The ones who wouldn't quit doing the drugs that prevent them from getting jobs are to blame for the increase in crime seen in my area. In short there is no quick fix for mankind's desire to get "high". Make something illegal and it goes from having standards of quality and regulation to enriching the black market.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by Rezwar]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by hhott

Think outside the box. If you need to pass any test but a blood / hair test it is possible.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Its not ur money. It was stolen from you before you had a chance to defend urself now ur complaining on how it is spent?

Hell if i had money stolen from me the least of my concerns is how they use it to make some bum piss in a cup.

I think you lost the complaint rights when you let the thief get away.

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join