It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forced Drug & Alcohol Testing to get Unemployment Benefits

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
In a shocking amendment to the 2010 Unemployment Extension Bill, lawmakers now want to force drug & alcohol tests on the unemployed to qualify for benefits.

The amendment to the 2010 Unemployment Extension Bill not only insinuates that the unemployed are a bunch of drug addicts and alcoholics, but that they are also addicted to getting paid while doing nothing. This argument pushes the idea that the unemployment benefits magically appeared and that hard-working Americans had nothing to do with those funds accruing over the years. And although there is little doubt that a few of those hard workers have substance abuse problems, it is hardly an epidemic that requires cutting off the only funds many of those unemployed need to maintain their households.

www.associatedcontent.com...

Ironically the argument here is to protect freedom for those hard working Americans that contributed to unemployment benefits, and to get people off of government hand outs. So now we go from a country that does not allow invasive searches and seizures to a country that allows searches and seizures under forced taxation of the employer (paying into an unemployment fund) and forced search and seizure (for the employee to collect from the forced taxation unemployment fund).

[edit on 20-6-2010 by ExPostFacto]

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I think that this is a good thing. I don't want somebody spending my hard earned money on drugs while they are on unemployment.

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

You say that like those on unemployment are somehow druggies and alcoholics. We can't even fund unemployment benefits, let alone a nation wide drug testing program.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I don't think this is a totally bad idea. I personally know plenty of drug addicts who collect unemployment. As, a taxpayer, it kinda ticks me off.

Although, I am against drug testing, as I don't feel the government should regulate what a person puts into their body. The fact remains, a lot of people do take advantage of the system, and that can make it harder for people who really need the help.

A complicated matter indeed.

Although, if the Government is gonna make everybody take a drug test, for those benefits, are they gonna foot the bill, or will the people have to cover it themselves?

Will it be covered in the new US Health Care Plan?

Drug testing costs money, and quite frankly I wouldn't want our tax dollars going towards that, and even if it doesn't, it creates more revenue for the drug testing companies.

A conspiracy... quite possibly!

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
actually, that's fascism.. sounds about right
huh? what a world , what a world, these days

+13 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SUICIDEHK45
I think that this is a good thing. I don't want somebody spending my hard earned money on drugs while they are on unemployment.

So you're assuming ALL unemployed people are drinking or on drugs?

Also being unemployed is a VERY depressing time, so why can't they have a LEGAL drink?

+59 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I think we should make congress pee in a cup before they get paid. That should level the playing field.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

That is an excellent point. Congress gets public money too. Shouldn't they be drug tested? Shouldn't they get tested for alcohol?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I don't think that every unemployed person is on drugs I know several unemployed people who would never think about doing drugs and I also know many employed people who do a sh*tload of drugs. I don't think down on people who do drugs but I just don't want people talking about how they don't have any money cuz they can't find a job while they pass the meth pipe around. I also don't want my tax dollars paying for drug tests.

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Yep take all their money/benefits away, then watch the crime rate sore by 1000%. Most of them would be unemployable so where does this leave them? Coming to rob your place,or mug ya granny when she walks to the shops.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
I think we should make congress pee in a cup before they get paid. That should level the playing field.

Now there's an idea.

+17 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I just don't understand if someone is on drugs / not on drugs or drinking / not drinking how that made them get laid off from their last job? You can't get unemployment if you were fired for shooting up in the bathroom of your workplace.

Too many people in this country love to pry into the lives of others for some reason. Everyone loves to regulate what others do in the privacy of their own homes. I just don't get it.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

If they brought that into uk, i would be ok, do not drink or do drugs,a nd i think this sort of testing would be good, as people on the dole should not be able to afford those luxaries, lol.

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Who cares if they spend their money on a double qtr. pounder with cheese at McDonalds or a 6 pack of Busch? Who are you to say what others should do with their money?

And really, which is worse for you? That is debatable.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

That is absolutely correct GreenBicMan. People terminated from work for reasons of breaking company policy or breaking the law are not entitled to unemployment. They are already excluded. That leaves the less like people in the workforce, or the least conformist that become victims of lay offs (unless extreme financial distress of the company).

I would venture to say, this bill targets unemployed people who are not supporters of the status quo who speak up and report problems in the work place, who are interested in the truth and rub their boss the wrong way.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

A star for you! They should also have to blow the breathalyzer every time they come back from lunch. I do not think they should be legislating laws upon us while impaired.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I don't agree with this for unemployment. Those people actually had to work a set amount of time and not be fired to qualify for it. They paid into the system so they do deserve it, regardless of behavior.

Welfare on the other hand.......

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

It's just more bull# from rightwing America.

It is also just more bull# from congress who probably gets paid by lobbyists from the companies that do all this drug testing in the states. It is a pretty big business.

Companies like..

1.) Labcorp

2.) Quest Diagnostics

On a side note. I used to actually go to a school that required we pee in a cup. This was a private school by the way. Anyway, long story short, there are ways to beat the system. Although, IMO, you shouldn't have to even be subjugated to that in the first place.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Well i have had gov trying to run my life since i was at school in uk, and destroying it all the time.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
So its Fathers Day
Your kids bring over a Bottle to Celebrate.
Bamm you loose all you Unemployment Rights.
Fourth of July Have a few drinks Celebrate American Freedom.
Get Invited to the White House have a beer with the Prez.
This list could go on all day!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join