It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whales 'can feel and suffer as humans do'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I think we should save the whales as in preserve them as a natural resource, and let me just underline this:I do not want whales to become extinct, they need to be preserved as all wildlife..

And I would agree that it is somewhat hypocritical to differ between whales and for example cows because the quality of life of a bred cow is imo poorer than that of a whale and the method of slaughtering the cow is also much more traumatizing.
I mean, what would you prefer, beeing put on a bus to the executioner waiting in line for the bullet with hundreds of other terrified people or unexpectedly take a shot to the head while doing what you love?

Allow me to quote my father: "I hope I go out from a massive heart attack just as I catch a big trout instead of dying slowly in my bed".

I for one feel I have a clearer conscience eating whale or non-bred fish than I have eating any farm bred animal.

Seems to me people are thinking with their feelings instead of their brains when it comes to whale hunting.

BTW: In Norway whale consume 2/3 as much fish as the entire fishing fleet, so hunting whale does not only give the first hand resource, but also helps to maintain the rest of the resorces of the coast.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
reply to post by Gorman91

Ok rats reproduce like crazy and I suspect, although I admit I don't know for sure, they don't have an emotional pain response.
[edit on 20-6-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

This is just so naive.

How many experiments have been done - and does it take - to show that all creatures react to pain. And if those creatures show learning derived from pain - as in don't touch that object because it hurts - then they also have an emotional pain response.

Animals pain response is the same as humans. What differs is an animals ability to understand the reason for the pain. If you train a dog not to jump on something by giving it a swat with a rolled up newspaper, it LEARNS through emotional pain response that a certain behaviour is linked to the pain. Exactly how is that different from the way humans respond?

The answer is obviously that it is not any different.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Hello sorry for the late reply. I have stated on several occasions throughout the thread I believe that all animals experience pain. Is a humans experience of pain different from a rats? Eh.. yes big time.

Living in the real world, it is simply not practical to not kill animals to some degree, that is simply ridiculous. I am trying to do my own part by eating organic produce, free range, and locally sourced meat as much as possible. How many here claiming that it is wrong to kill any animals actually eat meat regularly?

[edit on 21-6-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

It is tasty murder. I know its wrong, but I'm not the one who will be eventually caught for causing such disgusting scenes of destruction.

I will re quote my response to the whole situation

Pain is define by a response to a bad stimuli. Weather you feel the human equal of pain is irrelevant. If you are hurt and run away, you feel pain. Everything alive does this.

Just because it does not say owe or growl, does not mean it feels no pain. Just because it is not based on electro chemical nerves, does not mean it feels no pain.

The rule is simple. Responding to stimuli is a rule to be alive. To respond to stimuli is to feel pain. Therefor, all things feel pain.

What you are stating is a homo-centralist view on things.

You're not the only thin gin the universe. Just because its alien, doesn't mean its not pain.

Cells have biochemical circuit systems. When one cell dies, it signals others to run/defend, etc etc. This interaction of single celled organisms is the first step towards multicellular evolution.

Without it, you would not feel human pain.

What do you save? decency. Common sense. Humans are worth more. We should not eat or kill each other. And animals are going extinct we should preserve them. Saving animals preserves biodiversity.

That's really the truth. Just know it.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

It doesn't matter. Cows still feel, chickens feel... what does that have to do with humans mass breeding them?

The whole point is all animals feel, why do people see more in a whale over a cow?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SkurkNilsen

We could also stop our own breeding out of control so that we dont need more than our fair share as a species of the worlds resources, couldnt we?

Although, personally, I dont care. As far as I am concerned, human beings should go right on ahead and make as many new humans as they want, and burn through the worlds resources just as fast as they want, and drive as many other species extinct as they want.

It only hastens our own extinction, which would be better for the surviving species in the long run.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

Hey sorry for late reply folks haven't been keeping an eye on the thread. Here is a documentary which may help dispel some attitudes towards our normal food sources. I haven't had the chance to watch yet, I fully intend to give it a go and from the reviews it's supposed to be quite an eye opener.

topdocumentaryfilms.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
reply to post by SkurkNilsen

We could also stop our own breeding out of control so that we dont need more than our fair share as a species of the worlds resources, couldnt we?

There are enough resources, they are simply not distributed right.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join