It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whales 'can feel and suffer as humans do'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Whales 'can feel and suffer as humans do'

www.telegraph.co.uk

Whales are smarter than previously thought and can suffer like humans do, scientists have claimed as the future of the giant mammals comes under global debate at IWC talks in Morocco on Monday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Wow wow wow... News flash. Seriously? Something alot of people have known for a long time, of course now that science has gone someway to confirming it, it can be accepted by everybody yay! (sarcasm)

I sincerely hope this is some hard evidence that can be used to ban whaling world wide, not just make it frowned upon. What do you great folks at ATS think? I would love to hear also some of the uses of whales currently, and if there are adequate substitutes available.

If this has been posted already feel free to close!

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-6-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
How is this a news flash? It's common sense.

Where does suffering emanate from? Sensory organs.

Therefore it is safe to assume, anything with sensory organs has potential to suffer.

Common sense. I am surprised anyone considered otherwise.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner

I sincerely hope this is some hard evidence that can be used to ban whaling world wide

Why would we ban it at all?

Have we banned the wholesale slaughter of Human Beings yet? No.

Last I checked war still happens and no one banned that.

If we kill each other for ideological reasons, why the hell would we stop killing a non-human for actual economic reasons?

If I wake up tomorrow and whaling is banned worldwide, yet war still goes on; I will need some schizophrenia medications.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I was being sarcastic I will add that in edit
but your right though common sense for sure, I just like how a team of scientists has to confirm things before they get the time of day!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I was actually just 'talking' with someone the other day who wondered if dolphins could feel pain like we do.

I just don't get it, like, did millions of people just grow up ignoring dolphins like they were some kind of jerks?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

How many more studies will it take before we stop ****ing about with whales and dolphins?! Their sentience has been tested, demonstrated and proven time after time. Nothing changes.

Recent studies indicate Right Whales have distinct cultures. No BS.

Whales and dolphins communicate with body language, echolocation and sonar. It's conceivable that they can share 'images' of places they've been by repeating the same returns/sounds to others. I'm speculating, but they could share a collective 'mind map' of places they haven't seen.

Blue Whale Song mp3

Humpback Whale mp3

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

Ha ha yeah, I think that Simpsons episode where the dolphins take over Springfield left a bad taste in the mouth for millions.

As mentioned above, although these whales are amazing creatures, and I would love to see an outright ban, as long as we are blowing each other up around the globe, there's probably not much chance of protecting a 'lesser species.'

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
now im not a tree hugging kind of guy but what living thing dosnt suffer. from trees to animals we all suffer. heres a news flash "humans biggest contributiors to world suffering!"

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
If they only had thumbs!

If they could talk as we do, they'd be telling us how stupid we all are, and how we are destroying the world.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

I think there is a severe lack of imagination in most people which is part of the problem. Anything outside of what is confirmed for them by mainstream science is just plain ridiculous. Then there are those of course who know the truth but choose to ignore it, because, hey there's good money in whaling! Or what can I do about it really.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
In case others haven't been following along...

www.upi.com...

WASHINGTON, June 6 (UPI) -- U.S. President Barack Obama is breaking a campaign promise as his administration backs an effort to lift a 24-year ban on commercial whaling, critics say. Environmentalists, already unhappy with the administration's allegedly lackluster response to the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, say the president is going back on his campaign pledge to end the slaughter of whales, FOX News reported Sunday.

www.foxnews.com...

[edit on 20-6-2010 by alaskan]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Of course they can.

They're LIVING creatures.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

let me get this straight, unless it scinetificaly proven or published that other living creatures can feel pain and suffering, we should assume they dont

which ass came up with that?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
So? My dog will set at the front door and cry, every single time, if im not home on time. Happens literally every day that i'm late getting home from work.

That doesn't make her more human. She's still just a basset hound.

Does that mean Dogs are just as smart as whales?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by illusive man

Eh... The point I was making is that for some people, unless things like this are spelled out to them by say mainstream science, they simply aren't bothered or don't believe it. Say for example there had been no consistent scientific study into the matter, yet people who had interactions with these creatures were telling the world these are intelligent and sensitive beings, for alot of people this would be considered gibberish or totally out there. It is not until a study is done that 'proves' the concept, they even consider it.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

Ok not sure what to do with that... your dog might be as smart as a whale I'm not too sure. It's not about these creatures being more human, it's that they perceive pain in a more intelligent and emotional way, therefore we should reconsider how we treat them.

Please don't eat your dog or any whales.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
So? My dog will set at the front door and cry, every single time, if im not home on time. Happens literally every day that i'm late getting home from work.

That doesn't make her more human. She's still just a basset hound.

Does that mean Dogs are just as smart as whales?

No.

The Intellectual ability of the animal is not what this is about.

There are always animals of different intelligence.

This was discussing the animal's sensory abilities, thus leading to suffering.

Even ants feel pain, although they are comparably "dumb" insects.

If you don't believe me, try this expierment.

Go find a ant outside (or other insect for that matter), and stab it or cut off one of it's legs or something.

Watch it's other legs twitch.

You can say "Oh that twitching is just a nerve reaction" and I would say "Yes I agree, but it is also PAINFUL."

The nerve reaction you get when your body is damaged is what we refer to as painful. It hurts.

Now do plants have feelings? This is a good question. We can debate plants feeling all day long.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
So can cows and chickens and we mass kill them with no problem.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Even if they didn't "feel" quite as we do, whaling should come to an end. It's just disgusting how people can go on with their lives knowing these people slaughter these poor creatures for sport, and not care until science proves it. Save the Whales!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join