It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt oil spill threatens Red Sea marine life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Egypt oil spill threatens Red Sea marine life

news.yahoo.com

An oil spill off the Egyptian Red Sea coast of Hurghada threatening to damage marine life in the area has prompted environmental agencies to demand tighter regulation of offshore oil platforms.

Large quantities of oil have appeared in recent days around the resorts of Hurghada which draw millions of tourists who come to dive or snorkle, according to the Hurghada Environmental Protection and Conservation Agency.

"It started four or five days ago and the companies responsible didn't notify anyone. It is catastrophic,"
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Yet another oil spill... and this time the companies responsible didn't notify anyone.

BP would have done the same if it were not for that pesky explosion of the rig that could be seen from over 90 miles...

After all, why would you want the public to know your screw ups? The politicians certainly don't...

But those oil companies, when they hide something, they destroy or potentially destroy wild life, while when a politician lie, war starts.... oh wait...

Maybe this whole US-Israel armada going to Iran isn't really going to Iran, but they are going to fix this uh?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-6-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Unless posters use absolutely no oil products of any kind (and you'd have to be living in a log cabin with no electricity or running water and no insulation, with absolutely no plastic), then posters have absolutely no right to be hypocritical of oil drilling.

If oil went up in price by even 50 - 100% to account for a massive decrease in drilling and exploration, there would be massive protests in the streets. And trust me, if all offshore drilling were to stop, the increase in price of gasoline and oil would be MUCH more than 100%.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by babybunnies]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Wow, how interesting. They know where the source of the leak is coming from, an oil platform, but why is it leaking? The article didn't say.

Makes you wonder if there wasn't a problem in the Gulf, if we would have even been made aware of this other spill.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Which companies are involved, that is what I will like to know, any American ones?.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Can we have a forum all of its own dedicated to this terrible disaster where we can sit all day and lambast any one with any vague association with the country from which the company responsible came

DAMN I hope it's a american company.

Yeah bad about the wild life though right!!

As LONG as we can make those damn Americans pay for what they did here and compensate all the poor Egyptians. and make the CEO stand before a committee in Cairo.

............Sarcasm

Will we see the same reactions on this on spill, or the one that happened in Sweden, of the ongoing one in Nigeria, or the Amazon Basin.

..?

no.

I think I am just going to go off and cry now.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFoggDAMN I hope it's a american company.

This. The hypocritical position of the U.S. Government just appals me.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Smokersroom

I am quite sure that I am a private citizen of the UK. and not the american government.

Not sure what the context of you post was there mate!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Are you kidding me?

If a nuclear power plant explodes because of the negligence of the people operating it, we have no right to complain because we use electricity?

We use what they make us use, how else would you be able to go to work if you lived in an area where the only transportation is your car?
Don't tell me "you should move near your job or get a bicycle".
When "they" allow us to use other fuels and other forms of energy and we are able to chose what we can use, then we are at fault and even then, the negligence of some does not make everyone guilty.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
inside job?

is that common to happen in this time span at least 2 explosions ?

just asking

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Red Sea Governor Magdi Kobeisi announced on Sunday that an oil spill off the coast of Hurghada had been successfully cleaned up after only four days.

www.almasryalyoum.com...

"The shoreline is clean now and local diving centers have reopened," he said.

The ministries of environment and petroleum have reportedly begun estimating the damage to marine life caused by the spill and determining its source, with a view to taking legal action against those responsible.

Meanwhile, a number of hotels in Hurghada -- a center of resort tourism on the southeastern coast of mainland Egypt -- have raised lawsuits against the two ministries for material losses incurred as a result of the disaster.

The Beach Protection Authority, for its part, stated that there were no traces of pollution in the area, pointing out that the spill involved no more than between 30 and 40 barrels of oil.

Perhaps not as bad as first anticipated.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Who killed the electric car? The oil companies.

Oil companies

Fearful of losing business to a competing technology, they supported efforts to kill the ZEV mandate. They also bought patents to prevent modern NiMH batteries from being used in US electric cars. The film also used the crash of oil prices in 1980s as an example of non-US governments and oil companies trying to keep customers from moving towards independence from oil.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by marmitenews

Red Sea Governor Magdi Kobeisi announced on Sunday that an oil spill off the coast of Hurghada had been successfully cleaned up after only four days.

www.almasryalyoum.com...

"The shoreline is clean now and local diving centers have reopened," he said.

Thank you for the positive update.

new topics

top topics

join