It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Upcoming G20 - Canadian Police Training with Plastic Bullets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

They're also practicing with tear gas.

Not to get alarmed, but these so called "less lethal" plastic bullets have been used by police in Northern Ireland for decades, and have caused many deaths during protests, particularly of children.

A better link to the actual weapon: en.wikipedia.org...

From its spec sheet:

High Accuracy - Rifled barrel ensures accurate flight of projectiles
Safety Features - Double action trigger plus fully ambidextrous manual safety
Light Weight - The ARWEN 37 is made from light weight aluminum and polymer materials
Reliable, Light Weight Rotary Magazine - with minimal rotational torque
Semi-Automatic Function - Each round is automatically indexed at top dead center
5 Rounds in 4 Seconds Rapid Fire
Fires all original 37mm ARWEN and ARWEN compatible ammunition types
Easy to Reload - The ARWEN 37 has a rotary magazine with a 5 shot capacity. The ARWEN 37 can be instantly topped up or exchanged with different ammunition types while being held in the firing position
Instant Ability to Check Magazine Status - The ammunition in the ARWEN 37 is visible from the outside of the weapon and the number and type of ammunition can easily be seen
Easily Field Stripped - The ARWEN 37 can be field stripped in seconds for thorough cleaning and inspection
Fully Ambidextrous - Can be fired from right or left shoulder without modification
Telescoping Butt Stock - Suited for any build or height operator
Minimum Maintenance Required - Certified Armourer courses available
Made in Canada

At least it's MADE IN CANADA - the Canadian Government is aactually using Canadian Weapons for the Canadian Military to train the Canadian Police Force with to supress protests by Canadian Citizens.

Let's keep it all Canadian, eh?

Personally, I'm gonna kick back with a Kokanee Beer

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I work at pearson so i'll let everyone know whats going on at the airport

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Yup G20 in Toronto is going to be intense this year I think.

I know they are expecting a lot of protesters, the Canadian Intelligence Bureau began harassing activist groups two months ago.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Excellent - let us know what's going on as all those moronic puppets (otherwise known as WORLD LEADERS) arrive.

So YOU'RE the reason we're spending over a BILLION dollars on security. lol.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
They were stupid enough to host a G20 meeting in the most populous city in the country. Of course there will be large protests.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
A friend at school brought one of these plastic bullets in to class one day. They are like thick candles and weigh bout half a kilogram, apparently he had found it in the street outside his house after a riot. If one of these hits you in the head you are a gonner. The security forces are supposed to bounce them off the ground so that they strike around knee height, but obviously in the heat of the moment things can go wrong, and there are plenty of horror stories from Northern Ireland of people being killed or seriously injured because of these munitions.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Safety Features - Double action trigger plus fully ambidextrous manual safety

Oh sure. Make it safe for the people firing it, but let it be potentially deadly to the protesters.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
In Northern Ireland, the British Army and RUC used to say that these plastic bullets were "non lethal". These bullets are the same ones that were designed specifically for the British to use in Northern Ireland.

Now, they've been reclassified as "less lethal" rather than "non lethal" simply because of all the people in Northern Ireland (and I believe South Africa and Israel use them too) that have been killed during so called "non lethal" crowd control.

Other forces (such as those in the USA) prefer to use Water Cannon and Sound Blasters (big speakers with ear splitting noise, not the old PC sound card!) to "persuade" crowds to disperse, as these have been found to be a lot less lethal than the "non lethal" plastic/rubber bullets.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
The security forces are supposed to bounce them off the ground so that they strike around knee height

Yup, they were. However, the biggest problem with this technique is that knee height for an adult is generally bang on head height for a child.

Lots of children at peaceful protests died in Northern Ireland as a result of this "technique".

There will be a MASSIVE public outcry Nationwide in Canada if a child dies during a G20 protest after being shot with a plastic bullet by police. It won't be pretty, but I can see it happening. If anyone reads this and is planning on attending a protest, PLEASE leave your kids at home, for their own safety.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by babybunnies]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Your unfortunately spot on. A particularly horrifying case of misuse was that of Emma Groves who was shot in the face in her own home by a British soldier. You can see footage of the aftermath on Youtube.
Such cases are obviously incredibly rare, and children should be nowhere near a riot situation as you mentioned. You do have to question the decision to use such weapons though, given the presence of children. I can't see things getting this bad at the G20 I suspect there will be a very close eye on all concerned after what happened in the UK.

top topics

join