It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctica home to the legendary Atlantis ?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Hmm . . .

After looking around this morning, I came across this link, and I might be swaying more to the Minoan thing . . . interesting.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

---According to Plato, Atlantis was in existence 9,000 years before Solon. That is around 9600BC. This does not jive with any Minoan time lines.

Nor does it jibe with any other timelines. in 9600BC the entire Athenian army (which defeated the Atanteans according to Plato) considered of 2 cave men a goat.

Oddly, Plato describes both Athenians and Atlanteans as being Bronze Age cultures identical to his own time.

Maybe he just made up the date

oddly enough the neolithic starcevo had metal weapons so bronze age, copper age, neolithic... who knows. there were mountains of metals on the surface of the ground where the earliest men lived.

didn't know from the literature that the balkans were so barren. seems like every place they've looked they have found something. of course they don't look very much. its not exciting stuff.

athens certainly did avoid gravettian occupation, epigravettian occupation, starcevo occupation and vinca occupation at least so they did pretty good considering all around them fell.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

The 200 years, is a guestimate on my part. I wouldn't plan on living to SEE the results- but, it WOULD be nice:
1. Knowing that my descendents, would get to see!
2. Thinking, that I might help prevent a REAL extinction event- a major crustal shift, with the accompanying global tidal waves and earthquakes.

Given my druthers, I'd be researching stem-cell technology, to help repair my spine- so I could get back to the life that I enjoyed so. But- while my simple mechanical designs (artificial discs and replacement vertebrae), have been praised by orthopaedic surgeons, I've been assured, that such a radical procedure, would NEVER be approved in the US, by the FDA.
Such is the power, of Big Pharma. AMA- Pay or DIE!

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Patriotgal

Crustal shifts have not occurred in 200Ma. There is a heated discussion going on about a possible event 84Ma. In any case these events are geologically slow and do not lead to tsunamis.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Skara Brae is my vote for Atlantis!

it is very old - one of the oldest Neolithic sites in Europe.

The monuments at the heart of Neolithic Orkney and Skara Brae proclaim the triumphs of the human spirit in early ages and isolated places. They were approximately contemporary with the mastabas of the archaic period of Egypt (first and second dynasties), the brick temples of Sumeria, and the first cities of the Harappa culture in India, and a century or two earlier than the Golden Age of China. Unusually fine for their early date, and with a remarkably rich survival of evidence, these sites stand as a visible symbol of the achievements of early peoples away from the traditional centres of civilisation.

it has a drainage system and a type of toilet in each house.

the houses are all identical except for one which seems to be more of a communal workshop, perhaps.

the following is rather intriguing, i think, and very likely misinterpreted:

The original site was further from the sea than it is today, and it's possible that Skara Brae was built adjacent to a freshwater lagoon protected by dunes. Although the visible buildings give an impression of an organic whole, it is certain that an unknown quantity of additional structures had already been lost to sea erosion before the site's rediscovery and subsequent protection by a seawall. Uncovered remains are known to exist immediately adjacent to the ancient monument, in areas presently covered by fields, and others, of uncertain date, can be seen eroding out of the cliff edge a little to the south of the enclosed area.

eroded, maybe. or this could be the outer edges of a very large community that was lost into the ocean in a catastrophe rather than a slow slide of deserted buildings.

but THIS, this is what really hooks me - the layout of this place!

do an "images" google or bing search, with the search term "skara brae"!

sk ara brae google image search

there are possible ties with Egypt, too, as far as pottery and hieroglyphics and there is amazing astrological alignment evident in the position of the buildings, it seems.

another link
nice pages and pictures

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Just wanted to add that I saw a news article the other week regarding Antarctica and the known 8000 ft Mountain range. It stating scientists recently proved (or made public)there was a 1000ft of ice glacier with at highest 7000ft of warm weather under it with running rivers and water.

It reminds me of Ice Age- dawn of the dinosaurs movie LOL but real

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Good find! **One of the articles I originally read is at this link:
www.domain-b.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
While I don't believe Antarctica to be Atlantis, some may be interested in my discovery of Antarctica's Siple and Carney Islands on Schöner's 1524 World Globe and its significance in further validating ancient maps of the Antarctic continent appearing at the turn of the 16th century.

You can find the initial discovery detailed in the article:

[size=4pt]The Discovery of Carney and Siple Islands on Schöner's 1524 World Globe
www.atlantismaps.com...

Here are some comparative images of modern day Antarctica and Fine's 1531 depiction of the continent:

Modern map of Antarctica.

Finé's 1531 depiction of Antarctica. The Unfortunate Islands (Carney and Siple Islands) have been added in from Schöner's 1524 depiction of the continent to create a composite demonstrating the extent of uncanny similarities these maps share with modern Antarctica. (Click HERE or on images if you wish to see an enlarged side-by-side view of the above images.)

======================================================================

If these ancient maps are authentic, I believe that Schöner, who introduced the design with his 1524 globe, instead of inventing it from thin air, used a more logical approach of referencing antiquated maps of unknown lands to reconcile to new discoveries. In this particular instance, an ancient map of Antarctica was aligned with Antarctica's Atka Bay positioned at the newly discovered Strait of Magellan to comply with a southern branching bay that was reported there.

The remainder of the map was then scaled to his globe by extending Antarctica's Siple and Carney Islands high into the Pacific to correspond to two lone islands also discovered during Magellan's voyage, the Unfortunate Islands. The utilization of this method would explain why Schöner's depiction of the islands far closer mimic Carney and Siple Islands than the actual Unfortunate Islands. According to accounts of the discovery, the Unfortunate Islands were located at separate latitudes of 9° and 15° south and 600 miles apart east to west. Schöner's placement of the islands on the same latitude at only 100 miles apart renders them very accurately in both scale and alignment with his depiction of the Western Antarctica coast.

This method of scaling also addresses one of the biggest arguments by critics, why Antarctica is rendered 2-3 times the continent's actual size. You can find more detail on this discovery HERE in an article titled The Magellan Effect.

In order to prove this procedure was used, it would be necessary to find at least one other instance in which Schöner used the same methodology. And indeed, I have and in the process discovered the only existing copy of Agrippa's 2,000-year-old Orbis Terrarum affixed to the bottom of his 1515 world globe.

Agrippa's Orbis Terrarum. (Click on image to enlarge.)

My discovery of Agrippa's map and how it was similarly scaled to contemporary discoveries is detailed HERE in an article titled The Map At The Bottom Of The World.

And for what it is worth, I believe that the most likely site for Atlantis is [size=4pt]South America.

-Doug

[edit on 6-27-2010 by Doug Fisher]

[edit on 6-27-2010 by Doug Fisher]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Doug Fisher

I took a look at the maps and the size and position of Antartica is very wrong. The continent of Antarctica lies almost completely inside of the Antarctic circle. The Oronce Fine map shows a Southern continent nearly up to Zanzibar. It has the continent right up to Latitude 30S.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

I took a look at the maps and the size and position of Antartica is very wrong. The continent of Antarctica lies almost completely inside of the Antarctic circle. The Oronce Fine map shows a Southern continent nearly up to Zanzibar. It has the continent right up to Latitude 30S.

Exactly. I noted this above.

Charles Hapgood, who ran the first analysis on the map, made a very poor attempt to explain this error:

Yet even if this were at all possible there are still the issues of the continent's orientation and overscaling which demand an explanation. Finé's Antarctic continent is rotated roughly 20 degrees counterclockwise from its actual alignment with South America, but much more troubling is the fact that Finé renders the continent 2-1/2 to 3 times its actual size. Hapgood attributes the error of overscaling to a copyist confusing the 80th parallel on the source map with the Antarctic Circle. It would seem that Hapgood spent little time investigating this particular theory. Had he done so he would have realized how flawed this idea actually was. If the copyist confused the 80th parallel with the Antarctic Circle—66.6° latitude—and the source map was inscribed with additional latitudinal delineations as Hapgood also suggests, this would mean that the source map had very little resemblance to Finé and Mercator's rendering of the continent and in turn have very little resemblance to Antarctica.

The error that Hapgood is postulating would have the copyist overscaling the continent's interior by enlarging it 13-plus degrees latitude in all directions, but maintaining latitudinal scaling beyond the Antarctic Circle with the aid of latitudes marked on the source map. The result would actually be a major distortion or shortening of the continent's perimetric features. This would be similar to an artist doubling or tripling the torso of a model, but maintaining the limbs at their normal size. In the case of both the cartographer and the artist, there is absolutely no possible way that they could overlook the fact that their resulting images in no way resembled the original subject. No, if we intend to validate these maps as ancient chartings of Antarctica, the overscaling of the continent requires a much more reasonable explanation. - Source

In my attempt to determine the reason for the overscaling, I assumed that Schöner's source map was not delineated by latitudes in which case there had to be at least two geographical points stretched across his globe to fit recent discoveries made by Magellan just a year or two earlier. I soon found Schöner was provided two discoveries from Magellan's voyage, the Strait of Magellan wherein was found a a southern branching bay which he reconciled to Antarctica's Atka Bay and a pair of islands in the Pacific which matched Antarctica's Carney and Siple Islands.

From there he upscaled the continent to fit both discoveries.

As a verification of this technique, we find Schöner scaling Agrippa's map in the same manner. In 1508 there were false reports that a strait existed over 350 miles north of Magellan's strait. Schöner was only provided one scaling point at that time along with a misrepresentation of a vast southern continent below this purported strait.

It would appear that Schöner responded to this discovery by aligning and using the British Channel to represent this strait. The second point used in the process was the center-point of the map's large circular center.

Agrippa's map (left) ancient map of Antarctica (right)
(A) The British Channel, (B) Atka Bay, (C) the center of a concentric Mediterranean, and (D) the islands of Carney and Siple.

-Doug

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Sorry to bust some balls but Atlantis was in the Atlantic ocean. Take some time and see the obvious connection.. This continent, along with Lemuria (which was centered in the Pacific) sunk into the oceans after a series of devastating thermonuclear wars. To my understanding this was around 10,000 years ago, maybe more.. because of the immense destruction caused by the weapons at that time, which were so powerful the foundation of entire continents were effected.. nearly no artifacts remain. Although the radiation still exists, as noticed in the gulf recently..

Still, you need to go beyond the mind to unlock mysteries of the past, present, and future...

"Don't think; Feel..
It is like a finger pointing away to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory." -Bruce Lee

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

That still doesn't explain how this oversized or rescaled continent was scaled outward to lie in part at 30S. Zanzibar is in the wrong place. It also has the Straits of Magellan too small. There are islands marked off the west coast of Africa. Are these errors or out of place islands?

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Mayura

Lemuria was in the Indian ocean and was a "land bridge" suggested to reconcile fossil locations before plate tectonics was conceived.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Plate tectonics was conceived..? All I can say is there were advanced civilizations of all kinds in the past and scientists today pale in comparison to ancient knowledge.

Break free of society's programming.. maybe even learn to meditate.. at least look into the Expanding Earth Theory, my friend.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Mayura

Lemuria was Just a Hypothetical Island visualised by Philip Sclater to link the presence of Lemurs in both the Indian Sub Continent and Madagascar, but not in Africa or elsewhere.

The anomalies of the Mammal fauna of Madagascar can best be explained by supposing that... a large continent occupied parts of the Atlantic and Indian Oceans... that this continent was broken up into islands, of which some have become amalgamated with... Africa, some... with what is now Asia; and that in Madagascar and the Mascarene Islands we have existing relics of this great continent, for which... I should propose the name Lemuria![2]
Link

Now, you mean to say the Hypothetical monkeys played a game of thermonuclear wars on a hypothetical island??

Cool thinking.

[edit on 28/6/10 by coredrill]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Mayura

The expanding earth theory was dropped a long time ago. It was proposed for a number of reasons and has been shown to NOT reflect the structure of the earth.

Ancient advanced civilizations? Really? Where are the devices? Where is the civilization? Where?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist

That still doesn't explain how this oversized or rescaled continent was scaled outward to lie in part at 30S.

Actually it very much does.

If you were to overlay an image of Antarctica onto a map or globe and enlarge it so that Carney and Siple Island sit high in the Pacific at the Tropic of Capricorn and simultaneously position Atka Bay at the Strait of Magellan while avoiding distorting the map's overall shape and proportion, portions of the map would indeed lie beyond the 30th parallel and the map would of course remain looking like Antarctica.

Am I explaining this okay, or am I somehow missing your point?

-Doug

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I tried to bring some illumination to this forum.. now I see it is dead like Antartica.

I know what I know through research along-side spiritual development and first hand experience, these things are beyond simple internet analyzing techniques.

Take heed of the things I have mentioned in my earlier posts and perhaps do some research relating to them.. that is my advice to you.

If you seriously think Lemuria is an explanation for Lemurs.. well, TPTB did an excellent job with you!

Mmmmooooooooooo!!!

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   

I still don't see how a map with such major mistakes such as the location of Zanzibar, which should have been well known at the time, can be trusted to any degree to show that there was a southern continent.

The Magellan expedition of 1519-1522 should have encountered the southern continent if it had its claimed position. No such land was found.

I am curious if you can tell us how you created your maps, how you alter the images or remap the images of the maps to show your overlays. I see differences between the old map and your reconstructions you use in overlays.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join