It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctica home to the legendary Atlantis ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by crichton13

You should also read the replies you know.

In my experience there are often a lot of things that gets told outside of the OP.

The Minoans are of course a good candidate for Atlantis and that is why I also mentioned lost civilization.

Unless you know if the Minoan culture traveled the globe and started spreading their flood story and building pyramids ?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AngelHeart

Hmmm i suspect that we will not know until further research is done, the drift is speculated to have been roughly 2000 miles, in one direction, so I'm not sure if this would register on those samples.
As to whether Atlantis was warm? i have no idea, we only have Plato's account.
According to Norse mythology, the book of Enoch and Sumerian mythology and a few others we are talking about a land of fire and ice in the mountains and a Geo-thermal paradise on the plains, so who knows.
What i would like to see is a deep radar scan of the co-ordinates given in the book The Atlantis Blueprint by Rand Flem-Ath and Colin Wilson.
Several satellites are capable of doing this but none of us have a spare million dollars or so to pay them to do it.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Agreed.
The evidence for some form of Global Civilization called civilization one is everywhere.
This Antediluvian civilization was Maritime and just as today they built their cities on the coast.
Unfortunately for us the coast of 12000 yrs ago is now 450 ft below the present waterline.
Until the Archeologists obtain some submarines we will have to wait for those golden statues to emerge.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Well consider this: Native Americans in North and South America did not cross the Bering Straight. There were of course Humans that did, but genetically no ethnicity is related to them today. Natives today are descended from northern Asians who came here somehow, unknown, perhaps across the bering, perhaps not.

South and Central Americans come from a mix of different South East Asians ... no one has a clue as to how or when they made the trip .. some would say perhaps they island hopped over generations, but regardless it would take uncommon shipping skill to navigate the Pacific.

Antarctica is closer to South American and South Africa than any major connecting island chain from Asia to North America. So imo, it's highly plausible that at some point humans thousands of years ago lived in Antarctica. Whether it was the city of Atlantis I cannot say, it'd be possible of course. The natural resources on the continent are extensive.. possibly the largest coal, oil, iron, gold, silver etc deposits in the World.. perhaps that have never been touched.
If this global warming kicks up a notch, I'd move down there for the Gold Rush alone.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   

we should call Richard Dean Anderson Aka Gen Jack O'neill
he will send an expedition to recover the stargate inside atlantis
SG1 will be formed to go through to it and recover alien intelligence artifacts
but ofcourse it will be covered up never the gov will allow the news of that to the public

atlantis is perhaps not on earth... we should start searching in the Pegasus galaxy
the wraith have probably discovered atlantis long ago to rule the universe

maybe its only a outpost in antartica not atlantis
but it will help to find atlantis with this outpost

so in conclusion we still can hope to recover atlantis one day

TOPIC NOT CLOSE

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic4life
reply to post by AngelHeart

The theory is that 12000 or so yrs ago the crust slipped over the mantle.
This theory was proposed by Professor Charles Hapgood in his book The Path of the Poles.
The forward to this book was written by Albert Einstein who was in complete agreement with Professor Hapgood.
Now Antarctica is a very large continent and has never been completely ice free.
Only a relatively small portion of Antarctica was ice free and it is in this portion that Atlantis is suspected to be.
The ice samples you speak of come from the deep interior of Antarctica.
Even now there are areas in Antarctica that are completely ice free.

Kind of goes with the Nibiru theory that would cause this crust to slip or move. Just remember one time Russia was tropical and the Sahara desert was tropical as well.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

There is no 'Nibiru theory' that causes crusts to move. What the hell is that?

OP, some links that may interest you, I believe they're of relevance:

Antarctic Forests Reveal Ancient Trees

A quarter-billion years ago, forested islands flashed with autumnal hues near the South Pole — a polar scene unlike any today, researchers say.

Unique fossil discovery shows Antarctic was once much warmer

A new fossil discovery- the first of its kind from the whole of the Antarctic continent- provides scientists with new evidence to support the theory that the polar region was once much warmer.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

One thing is for certain is that the world was flooded not too long ago and many coastal areas including islands were completely submerged.

The hopi say that this is the 4th world.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta
reply to post by dragnet53

There is no 'Nibiru theory' that causes crusts to move. What the hell is that?

OP, some links that may interest you, I believe they're of relevance:

Antarctic Forests Reveal Ancient Trees

A quarter-billion years ago, forested islands flashed with autumnal hues near the South Pole — a polar scene unlike any today, researchers say.

Unique fossil discovery shows Antarctic was once much warmer

A new fossil discovery- the first of its kind from the whole of the Antarctic continent- provides scientists with new evidence to support the theory that the polar region was once much warmer.

This will cause the thread to go off topic. But I advise to search on ATs about Nibiru. Nibiru can be destructive and causes changes in climates and extinction of animals. Just search on ATS. LOL you change avatars more than I change shirts it seems.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by dragnet53]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
i want to say i love this post
lots of great information
going to refrence this one once
i can make a thread

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Top Hat Boy
Its my first post on ATS so please be gentle. I’ve followed the search for Atlantis for over 15 years now and particularly with regards to Atlantis.
Piri Reis has some radical ideas about Atlantis. I have my own of which I will share. Its my belief that atlanteans / Arian race are in a stasis until the
pole change and Atlantis “defrosts”. I believe that we live in Symbiance with them! Its a bit radical but maybe just maybe??!!

it is pointless to plead/ if some slithering angel is harsh to you, dont pay any heed to it. that you have researched the atlantis subject fo 15 years, you may have an extensive knowledge of atlantis. now is your belief of pole shift and thawing of the antartic
based on your research or just a gut feeling.

Holy Angel

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Hiya, I know what I said about 'bugging friends', but this is my favourite board and I feel like I have to!

I like your ideas in the OP...very creative. For some time, I've been interested in what *might* lie beneath the Antarctic ice shelf. Specifically, I wonder if there could be dinosaurs or other animals somehow preserved? Perhaps colour of skin or fur...maybe soft tissue for genetic sampling? Some millions of years ago, it had a similar climate to the Amazon and was home to the New World monkeys. It was a thriving ecosystem. Antarctic Fossils Paint Picture Of Much Warmer Continent!!!

This is where the problem of an ancient civilisation living on Antarctica stands out. It's enjoyed interglacial periods when it was much warmer and the ice melted back a few feet...last decent warm period was 125kya. An ice-core sample shows an increase in pollen around this time. Unfortunately, it's been inhospitable for humans for millions of years. Sure, we've got hundreds of people living in the few dozen bases scattered around Antarctica. The thing is, they've got zero chance of sustaining their existence without outside support ( . Energy, food (essential fruit and vegetables) and clothing is shipped in.

In terms of resources, the place is a dud. The last point in history when it could sustain humans was long before homo heidelbergensis was throwing rocks at giant baboons.

So, we could speculate that an outpost of civilisation somehow existed there and was supported by it's root civilisation? This doesn't work either. The earliest sea-faring civilisations don't refer to discovering or visiting any frozen lands of the south. They apparently speculated on the existence though. There are no existing remains of coastal ports or cultures on the southern capes of either Americas or Africa that would support the idea. From Wellington, it's over 1300miles. If we imagine some Phoenician mariners managed to somehow drift 7900 miles to the Antarctic coast...and survive...what could entice them to return and build an outpost?

A beautiful picture...

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
S&F

Bravo poster great bit of info ,I agree 100 % with you .I wish more would relize humans have been here much longer then what we have been told .I believe as time goes by we will find humans going back further and further .We should never sell ourselves short ,we are and always have been smart and able to overcome issues.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Good thread op regardless of Antarctica was Atlantis or not, that is the first place I would look for ancient civilizations, the only problem miles and miles of ice and snow, hopefully when the weather changes we could go there and see exactly whats there, even if it's nothing. Were is this global warming when you need it.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Since you asked my thoughts on that, here they are:

Not only Antarctica was less icy, also Greenland was. I know, the story of the name of Greenland comes from the desire to cheat fellow "citizens" into icy Greenland, while colonizing greener Iceland and calling it Iceland to scare people away.

However, Greenland might be the old old name of the now icy island.

Knowing the advancement of civilization 5 years ago (pyramids all over the world, cutting and lifting and transporting mega heavy stones we still don't do, advanced art and advanced artifacts, like Antikatyra mechanism, Bagdad batteries...) I would be surprised if Antarctica would not be colonized for resource or other reasons.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Honestly, as boring as it sounds, I think Thera (Santorini) is the best possible candidate.

I know it's great to think of a wildly advanced civilization, lost under the sea waiting to be discovered, but really, we're looking at it through modern eyes, when the source of the story is Ancient. So forget laser beams and anti-grav. craft - no "advanced civilisation" in Platos time did not mean "advanced" according to the 20 and 21st centuries! Think about it!

There's a thread in the Ancient Civ's forum right now that explains this better than I ever could - again, it may not *seem* the most exciting one, because of what we have as Atlantis in our modern imaginations, but we're talking about a modern culture 4-3~ish thousand years ago, told through a morality tale of Plato who lived mid-way through the first millenium BCE.

This story is already romanticized, WAAAAAY before we get our greasy little paws on it! Plato says they fought with Athens, so who was fighting with Athens, Santorini and the Minoan culture, or Antarctica or South America?.... Which seems more likely, given the geography of that?

I think the Minoan culture, which is what we're pin-pointing here, is super-exciting, and along with others like the Phoenicians and the Indus Valley are still so much half-hidden, I can't wait to find out more!

Ancient myths about older civilisations are amazing sources - but keep them in their context

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I'm gonna have to say that there is no such thing as Atlantis as it has become a hopeless fantasy. For all we know it may of been a boat or some other craft beyond our wildest dreams. I wouldn't go as far as to claim anywhere to be Atlantis either as David Wilcock has in his more recent lecture. He has said it was fact that the underwater pyramids near Cuba is the lost city of Atlantis. Very daring, testing and just plain ignorant. He babbles somewhere in this video staking the claim:

-----------

Graham Hancock makes excellent claims to a lost civilizations as he has spent a great deal of time exploring many underwater cities or ruins. They are found throughout the world. So that alone would make it very difficult in search of some fanatical city. This was a very inspiring interview with him conducted by David Wilcock:

-----------

Have you discovered Neal Adams yet? An artist that has a superior theory of the Earth growing or expanding throughout time. It makes perfect sense and may very well be the most accurate in summing up how the continents have formed or rather how the Antarctica exists today. Check out his science website.

www.nealadams.com

Not all the content is free but it is straightforward and informative. I discovered this on youtube years ago.

Here's one of the videos.

-----------

But most of all I have to agree no more with Zecharia Sitchin as his books are rock solid reads. Very informative. The book "Stairway to Heaven" chapters 4-6 are very interesting in describing the world before the ice age or after the ice age. Not sure. It's been years since I read those books. But if you are going to base ancient maps on their accuracy then you would have to agree that an advanced civilization more so than ours currently would have to had existed which Sitchin expands on throughout all of his research.

www.zechariasitchin.com

-----------

Oh and about those creatures found there again since many people are gullible for just about anything that brings them hope and enlightenment there is a video if you can find it in which David Wilcop talks about some research that scientists had conducted in which they found that the same exact identical lifeforms - the simplest of life - are created at both the north and south poles of the Earth.

So no. No Atlantis near the south pole.

The Earth it is.

Fact

[edit on 21-6-2010 by WISHADOW]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I thought it was widely known, that Crete was Atlantis (untill the earthquake destroyed it). So why are people still searching for it?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Well for all of you with google Earth the coordinates from the Atlantis blueprint are as follows.
81: 52: 05 S 111: 18: 10 W

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I think the case for thera being the real site for atlantis is far more believable tbh

It fits all known references to atlantis 100% even down to the pictorial evidence and descriptions of it being concentric circles of land and water

The sheer amount of evidence of the level of advancement in the society that used to inhabit the island before the volcanic erruption for its place in history would, in the eyes of far less advanced civilisations (which lets face it was ALL other civilisations at the time) would have meant they would have been viewed in awe with their multistory structurs, indoor flushing toilets, hot and cold water to every house and underground sewerage systems by itself as no other civilisation had any of that for around 1000 years after the island was destroyed

So in context they were ridiculously advanced and evolved compared to anyone else on the planet at the time both technologically and socially as women appear to have been treated as equals in their society and had power and wealth

If thera and the minoan society on crete hadnt been wiped out in the cataclysm it could have meant our history could have been vastly different if they rather than more barbarian races had been the dominant ones in the area

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join