It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctica home to the legendary Atlantis ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Antarctica.

It is a continent we actually know less about the we know of the surface of Mars.
Makes you wonder right ?

I felt intrigued by this continent for quite some time now, being a possible location of the Atlantis.
The legendary city that was lost underneath the waves... Well, ice is water to so. Who knows...

Antarctica is the fifth largest continent on Earth sized up at 14 million square km ( 5.4 million square miles )
Only about 280.000 sq km ( 100.000 sq mi ) of the continent is ice free.
The continent is covered by the southern ice sea. Do to Antarctica solitary location the ice sea which flows around the continent, effectively isolating it from the influence of the warmer Atlantic, Pacific and Indian oceans.

Link. (Wiki.)

The Southern ice sea is also home to a previously unexpected large number of various species of life, unique to the Antarctic ice sea.

You can read a little about it in this link : New Sea Life Species Discovered in Antarctica
And here.
New Species of Invertebrates Discovered in the Antarctic

Well. You are probably starting to wonder why I started this thread ? All in do time.

A nice picture of Antarctica.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7f0591db887e.jpg[/atsimg]

We are taught the continent was once part of a bigger landmass named Gondwana which was supposed to be a super continent.

Gondwana.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2f12a6a38915.jpg[/atsimg]

Yes interesting none the less if you would ask me.

Well this takes me to my next point .

Origin of civilization.

We learn at school something like this :

The Bronze Age forms part of a three-age system. In this system, in some areas of the world, the Bronze Age follows the Stone Age. During this era the most fertile areas of the world saw city states and the first civilizations develop. These were concentrated on four fertile river valleys: The Tigris and Euphrates in Mesopotamia, the Nile in Egypt, the Indus in South Asia, and the Yangtze and Yellow River in China.

The rise of civilization started about 3000 years BC.

Before this happened :

Modern humans spread rapidly from Africa and the frost-free zones of Europe and Asia. The rapid expansion of humankind to North America and Oceania took place at the climax of the most recent Ice Age, when temperate regions of today were extremely inhospitable. Yet, humans had colonized nearly all the ice-free parts of the globe by the end of the Ice Age, some 12,000 years ago.

The Agricultural Revolution, beginning about 10,000 BCE, saw the development of agriculture. Farming permitted far denser populations, which in time organized into states. Agriculture also created food surpluses that could support people not directly engaged in food production. The development of agriculture permitted the creation of the first cities. These were centers of trade, manufacture and political power with nearly no agricultural production of their own. Cities established a symbiosis with their surrounding countrysides, absorbing agricultural products and providing, in return, manufactures and varying degrees of military control and protection

So according to modern day understanding mankind is roaming the planet for about 12.000 years . Fact. Supported by archaeological evidence and a lack of imagination.

Link. (Wiki.)

Before that we were hunters and gatherers.
This is a bit vague IMO. I mean Native Americans still hunted and gathered when the white man appeared on set. Nomads ? Traveling with the Bison.

Could it be that their teachings to live in balance with nature come from the very first hunters and gatherers ? Could they be wiser and more developed then we could have ever imagined ?

We on ATS are very familiar with the legendary Atlantis so I will post a few excisting threads on it.
My one and only favorite : Origins of Atlantis/Lemuria Myths Part-1
By Slayer69 Who created a true master piece here.
@ Slayer.
Is part two nearing its final stages ?

Antarctica was Atlantis

An old thread from 2005 by Outof theSky.
Unfortunately the chart posted there is no longer available. The article from discovery talks about 250.000 years ago. Well this is to far back in time for what I like to show a little later on.
Nevertheless, please do read it.

So... I hope you find the previous interesting enough to read the next step.

Ancient ocean maps

Link to Piri reis map. Full screen.

THE CART OF
PHILIPPE BUACHE
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0caa2dde37f3.jpg[/atsimg]

Link to site.
There is a lot of info with this map at the sit and they say this is used by Graham Hancock .

Link to the full screen size of Piri's map that shows a piece of Antarctica.

This one is also weird and a lot of text explaining why.
Mysterious Mapmakers: Exploring the Impossibly Accurate 16th Century Maps of Antarctica and Greenland
Must read.

Of course there is already a wonderful thread in existence in regard to these ancient maps.
( Just find out why thes maps looked so familiar
)

A thread called: On the Origins of Unexplained Maps By Serbstra

Who does a better job on the maps so definitely a Must read !.
Not surprising as his threads are always Top notch.

So now the moment where you were probably waiting for... Boy I hope you never heard it before. ~Stress~

Proof of an ice free Antarctica some 2.500 to 4000 years ago.

I was personally very surprised it was just a few clicks away. I never read it before so I hope I'm offering something new. Well... If not at least I hope you enjoyed the rest of the thread.

When The Antarctic Was Warm

The analyses of ocean-floor sediments deposited recently by melting Antarctic ice sheets reveal that these ice sheets are only about 2,000 years old. The evidence is in the rocky debris scraped up from inland Antarctica and then transported out to sea, where it drops to the sea floor as the ice melts. The grains of rock settle into the ocean sediments which contain biological debris that can be carbon-dated. (Marine life beneath the ice sheets is surprisingly abundant and varied despite the near-freezing temperatures.)

Supporting foregoing evidence are studies of Antarctic lake sediments and ancient abandoned penguin rookeries. Everything points to a warmer, more humid Antarctica between 2,500 and 4,000 years ago.

Comment. The warmer Antarctic just portrayed might explain those old maps, such as that of Piri Re'is, that seem to depict a relatively ice-free Antartica. The more daring of us might postulate sea commerce between South America, southern Africa, and Australasia during those halcyon days!

A somewhat politically incorrect observation appears in this article.

However, the news that the Antarctic Peninsula's ice shelves may have come and gone at least once since the end of the last ice age, about 11,000 years ago, suggests that people may not be fully to blame for the disappearance now underway.

(Perkins, S.; "Antarctic Sediments Muddy Climate Debate," Science News, 160: 150, 2001.)

Link

What do you think of that ? This makes Antarctica a very possible candidate as home of a lost civilization. The beauty is that this civilization falls within our current understanding of the development of mankind and the time line we assign to it.

It could be a hoax of course but I expect that this comes out rather quick here on ATS.

Please ? Share your thoughts and ideas.

Kind regards

~ Sinter.

Edit : Sorry I see I posted this in the wrong forum. My bad.

[edit on 6/20/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I don't know about Atlantis because I believe Plato intended it to be used an allegory rather than a literal reference to a city.

That being said, its silly to rule out an ancient city beneath the ice. I've said it time and time again, Antarctica is a prime location for future archaeological discoveries of the 'history making' kind. If there is anything buried deep within the ice, it would be in pretty good condition even after thousands of years (remember the Mammoths).

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

I agree.

Only I thought they still thought Antarctica has not been Ice free for at least 250.000 years.

It was such a short article I had dress it up.

I would love to know the truth but with me a lot more I think.

Ohh...
I did all of the research before I saw your thread.
Google lead me there.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

I think it is historically and contextually clear that Plato was not using the story of Atlantis as an allegory. Before the story, almost as a sort of disclaimer, he says "what I am about to repeat to you is the absolute truth to as far as I heard", or something to that effect.
The same can be said of Solon, from whom he originally got the story. Solon got the story from Egyptian priests, who are the true origins of Plato's famous story of Atlantis.

Solon lived around 600 BC. He says that the story of Atlantis was already 9000 years old by that time.

edit to add - I say historically clear because Plato as well as Solon were considered some of the highest reputable scholars of their time. They were akin to the Einsteins and Hawkings of today, celebrities loved and respected by all. When they claim something to be true, they are staking a massive reputation on that claim.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by Son of Will]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Nice work. S & F.

I know there is ice core sampling going on there, but are there any archeological work going on?

It's such a harsh environment, I would imagine research would be limited.

I bet it holds tons of treasures to history yet to be discovered!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
i read an ebook before that had ancient maps that had atlantis on it also the americas....aparently columbus used one of these maps to rediscover the americas and thus create mainstream history tht he discovered it ( was a kinda sitchin based book but interesting none the less ) ill hv a look and see if i can link to it also atlantis was near the americas....

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Son of Will

Well. 9000 years would also be long enough to never find out if they could have lied.

But the story go's back some 10.000 years so everything needed for a civilization to exist was there.
Modern man, Although they they still only were farmers in Mesopotamia.
he intelligence was there for them to be more advanced as a civilization.

Then there are the BosKop Skulls. In southern Africa where in a Chinese ancient map the Garden of Eden is placed.

Not sure if the skulls are a hoax tho. For all that matters they were. Nephilim which influenced the Antarctic people. But that is pure speculation and imagination from my part tho.

If the lost people pre date some sort of major flood event then it really becomes interesting. Survivors from this event were at a cross roads to spread to every continent and so leave every ancient people with a flood story. This would explain a lot of things but that is if it is true of course.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by wardogk

Let me guess. Finger prints of the gods maybe ? From Graham Hancock.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

it was called earths forbidden secrets i have it on my pc but have only just joined after months of looking in so not sure hw to upload etc

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by wardogk

I came across a site with that same name during the making of this thread.

Link

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

yeah thts it if u cn find the ebook its worth a read....i dont take everything it says as gospel but its interesting either way

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
There is a video out on youtube called the, “ Conspiracy of Science-Earth is in fact growing.”
www.youtube.com...
At about 42 seconds into the video, you can see where Antarctica was a part of Greece.
Plato was born in Athens, very near where the continent of Antarctica was connected. Therefore, it is very possible that Atlantis is Antarctica.
Here is a link to my thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
S&F.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by Violater1]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Hi all,
I cannot recall exactly but I remember watching a show on discovery channel or tlc It showed ancient Asian maps showing Atlantis under the antarctic.In the show they described how the entire continent had been mapped by from space as to the topographical land mass and how it was exactly the same as we were seeing it present day.That could of only been achieved if the continent was ice free.They also hypothesized the theory that the sudden ice age was due to the polar caps building ice mass and that as the ice built it reached a stage where the polar caps caused a pole shift ie:the weight of the caps causing the earth to rotate on the molten lava crust.This theory was presented on the same show.I have never seen or heard of it again interesting theory plausible at the time I figured because of global warming we were in the clear as far as the pole shift was concerned.I believe it was about 5 yrs ago when I started hearing a plethora of theories related to the pole shift and 2012.Anyways I believe that Atlantis may very well be antarctica based on what I saw.

Cheers,
Whiteroot

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
A good book on this subject is called the Atlantis Blueprint by Rand Flem-Ath and Colin Wilson.
Even gives you the co-ordinates.
Want to know more?
Go to the Flem-Ath website.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Good thread! S&F. I have done a bit of online research into this myself and feel that it is entirely possible that Antarctica could very well be what is left of Atlantis. I think that if the ice ever melts or people start digging through it, many amazing discoveries await. That is of course of they are not already known or won't be in the future buried by TPTB. Thanks for the thread!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
This has been covered before, on ATS and elsewhere.

ATS Thread

Other Link

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by b.jim

Ah yes I've seen them in my search.

If you look closely tho you would not find the word base, nazi or alien anywhere in the OP.

It's good you pay attention tho.
Keep it up.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Its my first post on ATS so please be gentle. I’ve followed the search for Atlantis for over 15 years now and particularly with regards to Atlantis.
Piri Reis has some radical ideas about Atlantis. I have my own of which I will share. Its my belief that atlanteans / Arian race are in a stasis until the
pole change and Atlantis “defrosts”. I believe that we live in Symbiance with them! Its a bit radical but maybe just maybe??!!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Top Hat Boy

That is indeed a bit much...

Do you have a particular reason you think so ?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Interesting topic. I think if we are going consider where Atlantis might have been, we have to use the only account humanity has of Atlantis provided to us by Plato more than 3000 years ago. His account came from historical tales that were more than 7000 years old during his time (and those tales were not written down according to Plato) . Atlantis was described as a series of ring islands surrounding the central island city. There were also land bridges connecting the circular islands to the center point (city). Antarctica could have been the home of to Atlantian civilization but if so, Plato had it wrong.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join