It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion--A Comfort Tool--Keeper's Sudden Change Of Heart

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Hey ATS,

I'm writing today, because I had a sort of epiphany.

As some of you know my husband is battling cancer for which he just receive a major operation last monday.

Now I am not a religious person, by any ammount and most people here know that I am spiritual, but the idea of organized religion scares the hell out of me.

I was raised Catholic, but was never serious about it.

Well, last Sunday, I prayed. For the first time in decades, I prayed to God to help me and my husband through this difficult path in our lives.

Maybe he was listening, maybe he wasn't. The point is I felt BETTER, with a little faith on my side.

As well as to my surprise he's recovering at a rate which doctors have a hard time explaining. He's a doctor himself, who takes wonderful care of himself, but still, a major operation and 3 days later he was up on his feet and walking around.

For a split second, a spiritual belief which is complete opposite to mine helped me, and helped him.

It was soothing and reassuring for some reason to pray and to think that just for one moment there was a God who loved and watched over all his children. It was a very sobering experience.

So from this day forward, I will no longer ridicule the religion of others, I will not even disagree. For in the most basic sense, I looked for and received what ALL religious people are looking for.

A light at the end of the tunnel.

~Keeper

[edit on 6/20/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
That's the thing... I can see why religion is so addictive and used by many as a crutch... because you can say that religion helped with this or that and if something does happen, there's no way to prove either way if religion helped or if it was just a natural/normal occurrence.

Religion is a crutch and your story itself proves this to be true.
But everyone needs a crutch from time to time right?
What's right for one person isn't right for another.

Good on you my friend and glad you got something out of it.

And Great to hear that your hubby is doing well.

Peace

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
What is his name?

He will recover, but make this promise to God. You will believe and give communion a chance.

Now as for

" scares the hell out of me "

Non organized any belief goes, our own idea of God for each individual scares the hell out of me.

don't be scared for revealed truth.

peace OP!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
" it's a crutch "

Bull crap.

That's your opinion.

Many saints seen God. padre Pio cured a woman with no pupils on video. Had the stigmata 50 strait years, tested by doctors who said he should of bleed to death within days.

I can write 70 more pages of miracles (in my life alone) Btw my grandmother seen Christ.

But see this belief of us having a crutch is your own crutch to not believe.

like you said we all need a crutch.

OP you husband will recover if you believe and you ammend your lives towards God, not in morality but in belief and faith.

can I have his name? privite u2u

[edit on 20-6-2010 by JesusisTruth]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

I'm not going to get into a religious debate with you, as It's not the thread and the OP certainly wasn't asking for that.

Start your own thread about everything that you've experienced in your head and I'll happily discuss it.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
" in your head "

that's why i won't. because you've already made up your mind that god isn't real.

So it's impossible to talk about it. time will do my talking.

But I agree with you that this isn't the thread for it.

peace.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Thanks,

Yes I can understand how it can be a "crutch" and like I said, I don't know if it was because I prayed or not, but the thought is interesting.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth

What is his name?

He will recover, but make this promise to God. You will believe and give communion a chance.

Now as for

" scares the hell out of me "

Non organized any belief goes, our own idea of God for each individual scares the hell out of me.

don't be scared for revealed truth.

peace OP!

His name is Jaxon.

And yes organized religion scares the crap out of me, personal religion is something entirely different.

I believe in a higher power, I just don't think that God is a single parent who writes books.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

It is very interesting... the power of positive thought and if/how we can change/shape our world and our lives.

I believe we have a lot more control than we think we do and if we could only tap into the parts of our brain/selves that remain unknown... I think we could honestly achieve amazing things.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I have always been very supportive of people who feel the desire or need to have religion in their lives. I must admit, there have been times when I WISHED I had someone to turn to. Someone who could comfort me. And I totally understand that need in people's lives.

Who am I to say that other people shouldn't have their religions? That's as ridiculous as people claiming that I SHOULD have it in my life. To each his own.

Wishing all the best to you and Jaxon.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Hi there, sorry about you husband, life does not seem fair most times, like you are going through now. I am glad you prayed, and i am glad you are scared of organized religon. Most are flawed by internal sinners. Keep looking- for the truth is worth finding, as well as the answers to questions you must have. It takes years for most to grasp jehovah's plan.So simple and so complicated . Keep praying and see what you think about the results. Always pray to god almighty [meaning you know false gods exist but are praying to the almighty one, jehovah.] Or pray in his name which is JEHOVAH , u2u me for help if ya need it any time--rj

top topics

join