It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosion Heard Near World Cup Soccer Stadium in Johannesburg

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Explosion Heard Near World Cup Soccer Stadium in Johannesburg

www.foxnews.com

An explosion was heard near Soccer City stadium in Johannesburg on Sunday.

The explosion was heard at the Main Press Center, 1,300 feet from the stadium, followed by a shockwave, but there was no immediate indication of what was the cause of the explosion.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Developing: An explosion was heard near Soccer City stadium in Johannesburg on Sunday.

The explosion was heard at the Main Press Center, 1,300 feet from the stadium, followed by a shockwave, but there was no immediate indication of what was the cause of the explosion.

This is a developing story. Please click refresh for updates.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Did a terrorist attack just happen in South Africa? There was apparently an explosion heard right near the World Cup Stadium, shockwave and all, though news is still scarce at this moment. I'll try to update as more comes in.

--airspoon

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

Update: Local police said the explosion was simply an industrial explosion and was not linked to any police or terror activity.

Security has been high at the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa, with fears terrorist groups may try to target the high profile international event.

More to come.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: newsolio.com...

According to immediate reports from the police, it was just an industrial explosion and not due to terrorism. I'm sure more information will be coming out soon.

--airspoon

[edit on 20-6-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Ive watched every match so far and havent heard anything - either reports or an explosion...

If it were terrorism, they wouldnt miss!

Anyway, there wont be any attacks on the World Cup coz EVERYONE loves football!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
This report says it was a 'controlled explosion'.

said the explosion was routine, and caused no injuries or damage. The noise could be heard in the media center at Soccer City, the main World Cup stadium in a gold-mining district on the outskirts of Johannesburg.

But if it was controlled wouldn't that be known of in advance by all the authorities? This is the world cup!
- Maybe an accident that had to be swiftly dealt with, maybe an on the spot cover up??

Interesting, they won't be wanting to cause any panic there would they?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
If it was terrorists it once again proves how useless they are.
You aim to destroy the building full of spectators and teams.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Bear in mind this is FOX "News", so lets assume there is at least a little bit of sensationalism in there!

I have heard nothing on the News and no mention on the coverage. It's probably something innocent and routine. Knowing FOX, it's probably someone jumping on an empty juice carton....

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I doubt it is anything, but even if it was, i reckon they would keep it quiet.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Why and how, Andy?

They make a big show out of every other attack, so why not one in SA? And how would they keep it quiet seeing as everyone and their dog has a camera these days?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Personally i think the world cup and south africas image, is something they will try and protect. I think thats why that bloke was killed before world cup, so it would not bring attention to the problems there to the world.

I think they would try and pretend anything happening was nothing, if anything did happen while world cup was on.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I think this is probably nothing at all.

But I do agree with Andy a bit; they will try to keep as much bad news etc under wraps until after The World Cup in order to maintain the PC image of South Africa as the rainbow nation and a sort of idyllic, African Shangri-La.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
If it were terrorism, I don't think we would be told it was terrorism for fear it would create a mass panic situation there.

So, it's either:

1.) Terrorism attempt and we won't be told it was.

Or,

2.) Controlled explosion and told it wasn't terrorism.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
(original source quote deleted)

I have deleted my orignal quote cos it appears that I am losing my mind.

Anyway, it would take a lot more than one terrorist attack to panic South Africans - after all, we have panga wielding gangs roaming our streets.

[edit on 20/6/2010 by deltaalphanovember]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Watch Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, the Global Quidditch Finals scene... There'll be a Black Sun on July, 11...

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Bear in mind this is FOX "News", so lets assume there is at least a little bit of sensationalism in there!

I have heard nothing on the News and no mention on the coverage. It's probably something innocent and routine. Knowing FOX, it's probably someone jumping on an empty juice carton....

It was not only FOX News that had this story breaking. Many of the media outlets had it too. Like 3 mins after my initial post, the South African police announced that it was an industrial explosion. I literally updated the original thread to reflect the new information within minutes of posting the original. I do however find it a little odd that industrial explosions would be timed to coincide with the World Cup, unless it was an accidental explosion which I would then find it odd that they could determine so quickly that it was accidental and purposeful.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
The only major attacks such as 9/11, 7/7 are orchestrated by the Government Elites to gain support for the "war on terror", any other explosion that involves major events unplanned by those at the top are incoveniences and are swiftly covered up.

new topics

top topics

join