It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana lawmakers propose prayer to stop oil disaster

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Actually the leak is not going to be fix, what is going to be done is diverting some of the flow to two new wells.

As for the leak itself is going to go on for ever unless something else is done after the pressure is diminished.

No miracle just Physics.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Bet the prayer will be as effective if not more than Obama's daily golf games are at the present.

2nd line.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Adley sponsored Senate Bill 549, to terminate funding for the Tulane University Environmental Law Clinic. Adley's bill, which had the backing of the Louisiana Chemical Association and the Louisiana Oil and Gas Association, came into a new atmosphere when the Deepwater Horizon oil spill disaster occurred in the Gulf of Mexico. Tulane University president Scott Cowen testified, against Adley's bill, in the Commerce Committee of the Louisiana senate. The Commerce Committee killed the bill.

en.wikipedia.org...(Louisiana_politician)

So this guy thinks getting rid of Tulane University Environmental Law Clinic and replacing it with a few prayers is the way to go?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
What's faster than the speed of light? A thought. Yes, prayers do work with enough collective intentions. Even a few handful of loving people can and will effect miracles. But again enough souls must ask forgiveness and thank God it won't be worse than expected, hopefully.

The point in the this type of HARD lesson is to stop corrupt business practices, learn from the mistakes and don't do it ever again. Must death occur? Yes. Otherwise, no one will take a hint and try alternative sources of energy.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

why must it be provided? are you completely incapable of searching for yourself?

seeing as how the answer you require is completely subjective, i dont see the point to your question, or what you aim to achieve by asking it.

are you expecting to see some kind of new revelation thats going to meet your own parameters and requirements? because its completely illogical and ludicrous to try and limit an alleged superior being within the bounds of human comprehension.

its like a dolphin expecting humans to somehow present themselves to the dolphin community in a manner all dolphins everywhere will understand, and will answer all the age old questions about the mysteries of the world, through a dolphins eyes.

dolphins have no concept of us, other than we are here. yet does it require the dolphins understanding, for us to take steps in ensuring the survival of the species? does the dolphin have any concept of how we interact with them everyday, without them knowing it?

does it require a dolphins comprehension of love, for a dolphin lover to love dolphins?

the answer to all of that is no.

so why on earth would you think a being that is beyond your own limitations, is going to stoop down to your level of understanding? He certainly isnt required to, yet he did anyway.

Jesus's life, compared to my analogy with the dolphin, was the equivalent of a human getting in a dolphin suite and attempting to swim down into the sea and inform the dolphins, as a dolphin, what humans are and their relationship with the dolphins.

and what happened? the other dolphins killed him. now if your the researcher guy studying the dolphins, what do you do? do you keep sending guys in dolphin suites? i mean seriously if the inferior species is unable to comprehend something superior, does that mean the superior entity doesn't exist? only in the eyes of the inferior.

its up to you how big you want the picture to be, you can fancy yourself at the top, or assume that their are levels above your own existence, just as the dung beetle has levels above his existence.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

GALLIANO — It won’t be the first time Cathy Blanchard has sought divine intervention for problems plaguing the shrimp industry.

When fishing families like hers battled low-priced shrimp imports, the 45-year-old mother of three organized prayer circles to heal an increasingly fractured industry.

Now, as oil from the Deepwater Horizon spill threatens commerce as well as culture, causing some shrimpers to fear they will never fish for a living again, Blanchard has been calling everyone she knows — and that’s a lot of people — to join in prayer at 7 p.m. Sunday. And while they are praying, she said, she wants them to turn lit flashlights to the sky.

“I don’t care where you are, on your street, on the porch, anywhere,” she said. “At 9 o’clock go outside, shine your flashlight toward heaven for seven minutes in silence and then give a shout. Shout to the Lord and believe for the oil to be stopped. We need a miracle.”.

So what happened when she prayed the last time.

Julie Falgout of Houma, who with her husband Dean once owned a shrimp boat but now works as a liaison between fishermen and government, is aware of Blanchard’s propensity for prayer.

She lost her business and started a new one with politicians.

The goal, Blanchard said, is to beseech the Almighty for a stop to the oil, now estimated at as much as 60,000 barrels per day. Her husband, Doug Blanchard, is on the Gulf of Mexico cleaning up oil with the family’s shrimp boat, “Big Tattoo.”

He was among nine shrimpers last month who were rushed from offshore to West Jefferson Medical Center with ailments they suggested are oil-related.

God seems to be against this woman and her husband. They attempt to help clean up and her husband ends up in the hospital "with ailments they suggested are oil-related".

So let her pray for him and not the oil industry.

forum.houmatoday.com...

[edit on 20-6-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I would have expected no less from ATS..

I'm not one that believes in prayer, but I'm also not one to down the act just because I don't personally put much weight behind the idea that it does or does not help.. on any other level but to give people that do believe a lift up..

I don't see where prayer would be a bad thing.. it seems nothing else is working. Why not? After all the bible teaches that faith without works is dead, right? So these people that are praying should also be following up with a little action to prove their faith that god will help.

At least they aren't calling on prayers for Obama to drown in the gulf or something..

[edit on 20-6-2010 by broahes]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by broahes

But to team up with a senator who votes against enviromental law clincs with the support of oil companies and then say prayer is our best chance is a joke.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
reply to post by broahes

But to team up with a senator who votes against enviromental law clincs with the support of oil companies and then say prayer is our best chance is a joke.

even dumbasses can put forth a good idea sometimes..

I'm not talking about the messenger, just the message. I agree with your thought in general if we are being specific about this politician.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Double or nothing?

[edit on 20-6-2010 by broahes]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by broahes

Yes, prayer can be a wonderful - on a personal level. I am not bashing prayer. I am bashing the LEGISLATION of prayer in any manner. If you want to pray to feel good, go for it. There are things I do to feel good that I am sure I would not want you bashing. However, I would never try to pass a resolution that makes it state sanctioned or try to give people the idea that my personal feel good method will do anything to help anything outside of my own mind.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Davidius

If collective prayer really works how come we dont have world peace, no disease and freedom for all.

I thought the christian god helped those who helped themselves.

Perhaps they have given given up all hope and have resorted to the prayer of the desperate

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Exactly this people that actually doesn't give a darn about the environment, the people, and neither their own states.

And they are acting like God almighty self righteous pigs calling for prayers that actually they don't believe themselves in with their acts.

Hypocrites all of them.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLaPPiE
This is rich! Power of prayer

Who is going to cite the medical experiments involving prayer? I want first poke at that fool.

I don't appreciate being called a fool, but here you go, poke away, they spent $2.4 million dollars doing this Harvard experiment:

www.news.harvard.edu...

other studies have been soundly criticized for flaws in both method and outcome. The fuzzy results goaded researchers to conduct the largest and most scientifically rigid investigation to date. It covered 1,802 people who underwent coronary bypass surgery at six different hospitals from Oklahoma City to Boston. The cost was $2.4 million, paid by the John Templeton Foundation and the Baptist Memorial Health Care Corporation of Memphis.

In a clear setback for those who believe in the power of prayer, their prayers were not answered. Prayers offered by strangers did not reduce the medical complications of major heart surgery. Not only that, but patients who knew that others were praying for them fared worse than those who did not receive such spiritual support, or who did but were not aware of receiving it.

The people that knew they were being prayed for actually did worse. We shouldn't have made a public announcement about this, what if the oil spill finds out it's being prayed for?

People can pray if they want to, but it's to make THEM feel better, it won't fix the oil spill.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by stellawayten

Why don't we pass out rabbit's feet so the country can participate in one gigantic, collective rub? What's next, hiding under the bed? Human sacrifice? I can't stand it any longer!! The lunatics are in charge of the asylum!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot lol.

I am sure that they will have some sort of excuse like God wanted them quicker or something like that.

I was about to say 'and these people are in a position of power!?!" until I remembered that tony bliar believed in someone in the sky called Jeebus or something like that

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by stellawayten

It's one guy. Asking for a pray. So you assume the entire government has given up.

Stop being retarded.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Davidius
The effectiveness of collective prayer (intention) is far more powerful than any of us can fathom.

sending positive thoughts to get this mess sorted

wait, i am feeling something

its getting stronger

oh its just Gas

on a serious note, do these wack jobs really think this crap would work?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I don't see anything wrong with people saying a prayer for help with this catastrophe, if they so choose. It can't hurt, it sure can't make things any worse.

Now if the government was making a mandatory day of prayer and demanding that people pray that would be a problem.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Seems that things are not bad enough yet... when folks seize to ridicule prayer that's when ya know things have gotten really bad.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join