It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana lawmakers propose prayer to stop oil disaster

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ccsct203
And if you done believe in HIM that's your problem...not ours.
So don't blame GOD and Christians for your unbelief.
I don't see Muslims praying to their "god" to stop the oil leak.
Maybe Obama will call for a day of prayer to allah. LOL

Could you please say something on topic that makes sense? I cannot help but feel there is something there and you are just having a hard time getting at it.

I am not sure what scares me more, the complete lack of a coherent statement, the needless Muslim bashing, or the star it got?

What do you mean by blaming you for our unbelief? Who is blaming you and what for exactly?

Who is blaming your god or Christians?

I am lost.

This thread is about politicos needless pandering to religious voters and little more. This is every bit as good as the town that officially banned Satan.

Do you think that the topic of the thread - this resolution is a good thing, or a bad thing?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by WashMoreFeet
I don't understand what could possibly be wrong with that?
If people want to pray, let 'em pray.

I think that is the point. If people want to pray, let them. Why legislate it? Why waste tax payer time and money. Are there no real problems with real solutions they could have spent those resources on? Is everything going perfect but the spill and they are all out of ideas so this is the only problem and the only solution to it?

Or could they have just bought an ad on tv asking people to remember to pray on Sunday?

More the point, if people need to be reminded that they need to pray on Sunday to their own god, how receptive is he going to be?

parishioner: Father, our lord in Heaven. Please help us with this oil spill!

God: Oh, now your phone works. I see how it is. Christmas, Easter, oil leak and I am your best ____ing friend? Pfffft. There are people on the other side of the world praying for peace and freedom and they pray every day, some of them 5 times a day. Crazy aint it? Anyway. Call me to go bowling sometime before you call for a favor.

CLICK

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ccsct203

No matter how you say it GOD made a promise to HIS PEOPLE not those who hate HIM or don't believe in HIM

That is a colossal FAIL

God, whether you acknowledge Him or not, is no respecter (showing deferential regard) of persons.

"For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, Who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe" (I Timothy 4:10).

"Who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time" (I Timothy 2:6).

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Originally posted by K J Gunderson

I think that is the point. If people want to pray, let them. Why legislate it?

>The first act of the first session of the Continental Congress was to pass the following resolution :
Tuesday, September 6, 1774.-Resolves; That the Rev. Mr. Duche be de-sired to open Congress to-morrow morning with prayer, at Carpenter's Hall, at nine o'clock.
Wednesday, September 7, 1774, Agreeable to the resolve of yesterday, the meeting was opened with prayer by the Rev. Mr. Duche.
(......y'know, I'm just sayin'....)<

Why waste tax payer time and money. Are there no real problems with real solutions they could have spent those resources on?

>lmao...Senates are notorious for wasting hours of floor time piddling over ridiculous resolutions:
•House passed H. Con. Res. 142: Expressing the sense of the Congress that there should be established a National Pet Week.
•House passed H. Res. 361: Recognizing and honoring Jack Valenti and expressing the condolences of the House of Representatives to his family on his death
•Sen. John Isakson [R-GA] introduced S.Res. 255: A resolution recognizing and supporting the long distance runs that will take place in the People’s Republic of China in 2007 and the United States in 2008 to promote friendship between the peoples of China and the United States.<
www.somegeekintn.com...

Is everything going perfect but the spill and they are all out of ideas so this is the only problem and the only solution to it?

>Of course not. That's absurd. Like I said, it's not like they're saying to cease and desist all effort in cleaning up the mess because now they've passed a resolution to pray about it.<

Or could they have just bought an ad on tv asking people to remember to pray on Sunday?
More the point, if people need to be reminded that they need to pray on Sunday to their own god, how receptive is he going to be?

parishioner: Father, our lord in Heaven. Please help us with this oil spill!

God: Oh, now your phone works. I see how it is. Christmas, Easter, oil leak and I am your best ____ing friend? Pfffft. There are people on the other side of the world praying for peace and freedom and they pray every day, some of them 5 times a day. Crazy aint it? Anyway. Call me to go bowling sometime before you call for a favor.

CLICK

>lol....that sounds about right, eh? Almost like coming to God in prayer and asking whether He's busy or not....tee hee.
Seriously though, who has known the mind of God or given him advice? Whether you believe in a Creator or just evolved chaos, we can know neither the purpose or the outcome. We can simply believe that the end will ultimately justify the means.
Until then, we will all be caught in the rain at one time or another.

Hopefully it just won't be acid rain from the oil spill.
Peace to you, friend.

[edit on 6/20/2010 by WashMoreFeet]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Faiol
well, lets calculate the probability that God exists and then multiply for the probability that God cares about us, then the probability that he can do something about it

anyone interested? I will just guess : 0%

Not to wax philosophical.... But to many people God isn't some intelligence which exists outside of themselves, but a source within them...

This source provides comfort, creativity, healing, and in some situations, this source is claimed to be behind miraculous effects...

I think you misjudge the power of the human spirit...

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I posted this on a similar thread on this same subject.

The morons we have for politicians enriching their coffers with corporate money anywhere in this nation doesn't stop from amazing me everyday.

Even here in GA our political whores pray for everything while enriching their coffers and dirty pockets at the same time at the expenses of taxpayer money.

When people are going to wake up what big joke.

The truth about Mr. Prayer promoter Adley history of wanting to stick it to the tax payer while favoring Oil companies

senator robert adley appears to use his legislative status to benefit his own business interests

in the 2006 regular legislative session senator adley authored and pushed through the legislature his senate bill 655. the dead pelican reported in may 2006 that [sb655]"...is stirring quite some controversy...senate bill 655, which basically gives big oil companies amnesty on oil field cleanup. it will also allow the department of natural resources to take private property from homeowners while imposing a minimal six inch cleanup rule on oil companies...some claim that the bill is designed to give adley and his friends...a "pass," so they won't have to clean up the oil spills that they have created." the louisiana sec'y of state corporations database in may 2006 listed several oil and/or energy companies that senator adley is the president or partner in, including: circle r drilling limited; abco petroleum corporation and pelican gas management incorporated.

senator adley's sb655 went on to be declared unconstitutional by catahoula parish judge kathy johnson in the suit captioned M.J. Farms Ltd. v. ExxonMobil Corp. senator adley instead of accepting this ruling attacked the judge.

wesawthat.blogspot.com...

Now he wants prayer, why not dumping him head first in the oil mess in the coast.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Heres a (rose-colored glasses) article... slanted to the notion that Mother Nature knows best

[...]
For Tunnell and others involved in the fight to contain the June 3, 1979, spill from Mexico's Ixtoc 1 offshore well in the Gulf of Campeche, the BP blowout in the Gulf of Mexico conjures an eerie sense of déjà vu.

Like the BP spill, the Ixtoc disaster began with a burst of gas followed by an explosion and fire, followed by a relentless gush of oil that resisted all attempts to block it. Plugs of mud and debris, chemical dispersants, booms skimming the surface of the water: Mexico's Pemex oil company tried them all, but still the spill inexorably crept ashore, first in southeast Mexico, later in Texas.

But if the BP spill seems to be repeating one truth already demonstrated in the Ixtoc spill -- that human technology is no match for a high-pressure undersea oil blowout -- scientists are hoping that it may eventually confirm another: that the environment has a stunning capacity to heal itself from manmade insults.

``The environment is amazingly resilient, more so than most people understand,'' says Luis A. Soto, a deep-sea biologist with advanced degrees from Florida State University and the University of Miami...

Read more: www.miamiherald.com...

no doubt the zealot 'believers' will say 'I told You So...'
if it happens that the gusher spends its pressure reservoir before the relief wells are even completed.

so, i'm posting this rebuttal even before the 'prayer-in' at the capitol

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Yeah, the governor here in GA a while back called for a prayer thingy to break our drought. Here's an analysis from eSkeptic about it.

Hey, whatever makes people feel like they're doing something. Can't hurt, I guess.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
When all else fails, lots of folks find themselves on their knees. It's the *OMG* factor. As for the cost? I'm sure it is less then the cost of this cleanup.
kno22

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I hope they are more effective than those folks who were pictured in the local papers around the Texas Gulf Coast, holding hands and praying that God just make Hurricane Ike go away. I have photo evidence that God was either on coffee break, or didn't think stopping the impending destruction was a good idea.

What would be more effective, praying, attending a BP Clean Up This Mess rally, or getting down on the beaches and helping any way they are allowed to?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Lookingup

effective? depends on your goal..

if tis staying healthy... I'd stay away from the beach
If its staying out of despair... I'd stay at home and meditate/pray, count to 10... whatever it takes

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

idiot, prayer is the only thing that works.
you have to read it to get this stuff

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Now I never said that god is responsible for this disaster, this was all done by mortal beings.

And if prayer is your thing, far be it from me to dissuade you from that.

Your right.. you said people were punished by God during Katrina. "I thought God kinda showed Louisiana exactly what it thought of them with Katrina. I mean take a hint people"

They didn't spend tax dollars to promote prayer. Someone thought it was a good idea others agreed and so it was announced.

Your unbelievable. you say it's not for you to dissuade someone from praying yet, you would have them rub a magic lamp that can offer no hope. Don't you understand the difference in faith in God and how that helps people and a magic lamp which is just make believe?

I guess not.

Oh and btw.. you still didn't post your source.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

When Ike was coming down....looked like it may hit NO again they had a big prayer meeting....and the thing moved over and hit Texas instead.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by Logarock]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

When Ike was coming down....looked like it may hit NO again they had a big prayer meeting....and the thing moved over and hit Texas instead.

How can you logically attribute the movement of Ike due to prayer, yet, Katrina hit despite the people praying.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

How can you logically attribute the movement of Ike due to prayer, yet, Katrina hit despite the people praying.

Sorry but prayer will not change the weather, thats just silly.

Prayer is ment to affect the living, who could do something to stop the spill.

Don't you know god is alive.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Prayer to solve this crisis?

Actually, I cannot think of a more UNPRODUCTIVE use of ones hands then that of clasping them together to talk to yourself.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
The ONLY reason prayer seems to sometimes work is because of the immense power contained within each human mind, which if concentrated properly can actually have a 'physical' effect. Jesus certainly isn't to thank, all of the energy which comprised that man has been dispersed across the earth and become parts of many other things, in that respect only was he ever resurrected. Not only have groups like the Buddhists been recognizing this as a real phenomenon for centuries but modern physics is in agreement as well, changes to particles can be effected at long distances with no visible mechanism. Every single person in this country all focusing their mental energies on the same thing at once can most certainly have a 'real' effect. Have a look into non locality or entanglement, as they call it, as well as the human intention experiments with all the random number generators. Also, you should study what happens to brain waves during sleep or periods of meditation. And stop trying to appeal to a god that has absolutely no vested interest in humanity, it is pure energy with no will other than to exist.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Don't you know anything? When Katrina hit, Texas was prayin' harder, silly. It all makes way too much sense.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by WashMoreFeet
Originally posted by K J Gunderson

>The first act of the first session of the Continental Congress was to pass the following resolution :
Tuesday, September 6, 1774.-Resolves; That the Rev. Mr. Duche be de-sired to open Congress to-morrow morning with prayer, at Carpenter's Hall, at nine o'clock.
Wednesday, September 7, 1774, Agreeable to the resolve of yesterday, the meeting was opened with prayer by the Rev. Mr. Duche.
(......y'know, I'm just sayin'....)lmao...Senates are notorious for wasting hours of floor time piddling over ridiculous resolutions:
•House passed H. Con. Res. 142: Expressing the sense of the Congress that there should be established a National Pet Week.
•House passed H. Res. 361: Recognizing and honoring Jack Valenti and expressing the condolences of the House of Representatives to his family on his death
•Sen. John Isakson [R-GA] introduced S.Res. 255: A resolution recognizing and supporting the long distance runs that will take place in the People’s Republic of China in 2007 and the United States in 2008 to promote friendship between the peoples of China and the United States.<
www.somegeekintn.com...

Yeah, I know they waste all kinds of time and money all the time. Luckily though, this thread is about one really really really really stupid example. I mean, I can sit here and find pointless, wasteful bills and resolutions and all kinds of crap like that but when it is something like praying, that is just too much to resist.

>Of course not. That's absurd. Like I said, it's not like they're saying to cease and desist all effort in cleaning up the mess because now they've passed a resolution to pray about it.lol....that sounds about right, eh? Almost like coming to God in prayer and asking whether He's busy or not....tee hee.
Seriously though, who has known the mind of God or given him advice? Whether you believe in a Creator or just evolved chaos, we can know neither the purpose or the outcome. We can simply believe that the end will ultimately justify the means.
Until then, we will all be caught in the rain at one time or another.

Do you not see the irony though in coming to your god with your truest of intention and an open heart because you were told to? There is just so much wrong with this. I find it hard to believe that they are talking about the Christian god. Does he really prefer more empty prayers over a few genuine ones? That seems pretty shallow for even a Greek god.

Hopefully it just won't be acid rain from the oil spill.
Peace to you, friend.

[edit on 6/20/2010 by WashMoreFeet]

I saw a thread on that but I think last time I checked it turned out to be a fungus so I hope you are right. This is going to be bad enough just staying in the water.

Thanks for the chuckle and peace right on back atcha.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by GBP/JPY
reply to post by whatukno

idiot, prayer is the only thing that works.
you have to read it to get this stuff

I love it when the priest opens a prayer with "Welcome, Idiots."
I think Jesus best speech was the one on that mountain that time that thing happened and he started with "Idiot Children,"
Nothing like calling people names while promoting the power of prayer.

This thread would be awesome if there were not two of them with the exact same title.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join