It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana lawmakers propose prayer to stop oil disaster

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno.

That's right, Tax Dollars spent to try and make people PRAY to God!

Obviously, you've never been to Louisiana, where upon entering most towns, there is usually a sign delcaing that, "Jesus is Lord over ( pick a city name.)

It's bible belt country, with most people being Baptists of one sort or another.

While I don't think prayers could hurt, you are absolutely correct on them wasting tax dollars to initiate prayer among their residents!

They should have been asking members of thier church congregations to do so, for free, on their free time, and not the general population of the state.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
You people are too funny. Just because you do not believe in faith in God does not mean it is not real to others.

ReluctantShaman, how can you call yourself a shaman if you do not understand the basic workings of faith.. must be some type of shaman I never heard of. Or, a false shaman.

whatukno, you say, " I figure if you are going to pray to your imaginary friend, you got the same shot of it working as if you rub a lamp and expect a genie to pop out."

Again.. no basic understanding of how faith works - or why it does work. People who have faith in God do so because of His teachings and the foundation those teachings provide for a structure for a better way of life. This makes God whether you can see him or not, come alive to those people.

Perhaps it's something you have to experience to believe, but that doesn't give you the right to say to others praying for this situation will do no good because for them who understand.. it does.

The story of Aladdin's lamp has none of those things. There is nothing of substance there for them to put their hope in.

And again.. No tax dollars were spent to make people pray. This is simply untrue.

Bush asks all of America to pray - now you know tax dollars were spent on that.. it's nationwide.
usgovinfo.about.com...

Obama asks the US to pray for people in the Gulf
56rebels.wordpress.com...

I suppose now you will write letters to the White House expressing your disapproval?

[edit on 20-6-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
Don't you understand the difference in faith in God and how that helps people and a magic lamp which is just make believe?

I guess not.

Oh and btw.. you still didn't post your source.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

Just one line for you.

Where is your source?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Actually there were tax dollars spent on this. The salaries of the legislative people to vote on this, the staff to write this garbage up, all paid for by tax payer money.

For prayer.

Kinda reminds me of a Doors song:

When I was back there in
seminary school
There was a person there
Who put forth the proposition
That you can petition the Lord
with prayer
Petition the Lord with prayer
Petition the Lord with prayer
You cannot petition the Lord
with prayer

I understand it gives people hope, that's fine, I deal with delusional people on a daily basis, whatever gives them hope is good. Do they need a resolution passed by a legislative body in order to do it?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Bush asks all of America to pray - now you know tax dollars were spent on that.. it's nationwide.
usgovinfo.about.com...

Obama asks the US to pray for people in the Gulf
56rebels.wordpress.com...

I suppose now you will write letters to the White House expressing your disapproval?

So, people who believe in prayer are delusional are they? You cannot prove that. Your saying millions of people around the world are delusional? Lucky for you they are not the sort of people to form angry mobs.. that's as bad a blatant racism.

Gunderson, My source is from my own education, but for an explanation you may understand, check the post above yours.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
You know what? If we (that is to say, us "mortals") ever fix the BP spill, those who said the prayers will be thanked and all credit will be attributed to God. Never mind the engineers, geologists, or anyone working to do something about the situation. God will be thanked, while the rest are left to blame.

This irks me, because we never seem to give ourselves credit when something good happens. The bad things are blamed on our "sinful nature" or Satan, while all the good things in the world are God's doings.

If you're going to pray, then pray that the scientists and engineers who are working to fix this problem studied their butts off in school. Pray that they or you can come up with a clever way to stop the spill, not "Him."

For us to believe that God can stop this, we must also believe that she was capable of preventing it in the first place. Let's get real. Humans caused this, it's up to us to fix it.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Gunderson, My source is from my own education, but for an explanation you may understand, check the post above yours.

Yup, I already saw that. You do not know the difference between a resolution and a speech. As well, you have no explanation for any of the religious nonsense you are insisting is true. If you believe in fairy tales and it makes you day brighter, go for it.

Coming on ATS to claim that God is real and will listen to prayers and do something about the cleanup because these things are facts, is crazay!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   

ReluctantShaman, how can you call yourself a shaman if you do not understand the basic workings of faith.. must be some type of shaman I never heard of. Or, a false shaman.

I do apologize that I do not live up to your disneyesque new-age expectations of what a Shaman is.

Shamanism does not entail tolerance of other faiths or beliefs. I do not state there is no higher power. What I state is that all of the Monotheistic Religions of the Book are Lies, abherrations and political tools and as such, any God they pray to, does not exist.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

So, people who believe in prayer are delusional are they? You cannot prove that. Your saying millions of people around the world are delusional? Lucky for you they are not the sort of people to form angry mobs.. that's as bad a blatant racism.

Well, they are from the south, so an angry torch wielding mob isn't out of the question. As long as I get in a bright orange 1969 Dodge Charger with a rebel flag painted on the roof, I think ill be ok.

I just think it's a pointless task. If it makes people feel better about themselves, fine, if it gives them hope on a daily basis, great. I am just saying, don't be too disappointed if nothing happens.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson

As well, you have no explanation for any of the religious nonsense you are insisting is true. If you believe in fairy tales and it makes you day brighter, go for it.

Coming on ATS to claim that God is real and will listen to prayers and do something about the cleanup because these things are facts, is crazay!

I did give you an explanation. And IT IS TRUE for those people.

But I will repeat it.. perhaps you will understand it this time.. but if you don't.. it's not my fault.

"Again.. no basic understanding of how faith works - or why it does work. People who have faith in God do so because of His teachings and the foundation those teachings provide for a structure for a better way of life. This makes God whether you can see him or not, come alive to those people.

Perhaps it's something you have to experience to believe, but that doesn't give you the right to say to others praying for this situation will do no good because for them who understand.. it does.

The story of Aladdin's lamp has none of those things. There is nothing of substance there for them to put their hope in."

No one said God is going to clean up or "do something" about the Oil Spill.

"I" said it would give people hope. The quote from the article is: "to pray for an end to this environmental emergency, sparing us all from the destruction of both culture and livelihood."

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   

The article states they are praying for a miracle.

Not for feeling better; although I will concede that that may be the case for some.

I do think people are missing the point though.

The sheep believe. The Politicians I doubt. You do not get far in western Politics by believing things or having religious morals and ethics.

So why do they loudly proclaim they will pray?

To score points with the sheeple, and so that if against all expectations a solution is found, they can no doubt claim their prayer call helped.

WIN:WIN either way.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   

I did give you an explanation. And IT IS TRUE for those people.

I do not see you offering up one example of prayer cleaning up oil. Where did you prove that is true? Besides, if it is only true for some people, let them pay for it.

But I will repeat it.. perhaps you will understand it this time.. but if you don't.. it's not my fault.

Awwwe shucks. I just love when people want to convince me of the reality of God and prayer by being condescending a rude.
Oh, I am so all ears now. Tell me about your oil cleaning god. I think I saw him at a car wash last week.

"Again.. no basic understanding of how faith works - or why it does work. People who have faith in God do so because of His teachings and the foundation those teachings provide for a structure for a better way of life. This makes God whether you can see him or not, come alive to those people.

No, you are actually distorting the meaning of faith to come up with your "because they believe it, it is real" BS all while calling Djins not real? What about the Millions of Muslims the world over the believe in them? Or does your type of faith only really work for one type of fantasy?

You seem to be completely losing the point. Believing in a god, having faith, letting it make you feel better might make it "real" to you but it does not make divine intervention real and that is what we are discussing here - a request for divine intervention. That is not real, sorry.

You are right, I am most certainly going to have to experience your god doing something about this spill. Believe me, I will be the first one on my knees apologizing the moment that happens.

The story of Aladdin's lamp has none of those things. There is nothing of substance there for them to put their hope in."

The story of Aladdin's Lamp has more religious reality than any Christmas story I have ever heard but I am going to have to guess from your post that you only know, believe, and understand your religion.

No one said God is going to clean up or "do something" about the Oil Spill.

No, they said "Hey, everyone take some time on Sunday to ask god to do something about the spill."

"I" said it would give people hope. The quote from the article is: "to pray for an end to this environmental emergency, sparing us all from the destruction of both culture and livelihood."

I never said it would not give them hope. I said it would not SPARE THEM FROM ALL "the destruction of both culture and livelihood."

Maybe you stumbled into the wrong thread?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
You know, considering that BP and the almighty .gov are doing such a fantastic job at cleaning up the mess they've created, I'd say that prayer seems like a pretty good option right about now. Not much else seems to be working.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

I would like to think that someone prayed for guidance before the final decision to put a nuke to the spill was made.

There isn't enough scientific data to know how to proceed with this. A nuke could stop the spill, it also could rupture a methane bubble and we would be toast.

Behind one door, a lady. Behind the other, a tiger.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
No matter how you say it GOD made a promise to HIS PEOPLE not those who hate HIM or don't believe in HIM

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
and My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
King James Bible
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

American King James Version
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

American Standard Version
if my people, who are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Douay-Rheims Bible
And my people, upon whom my name is called, being converted, shall make supplication to me, and seek out my face, and do penance for their most wicked ways: then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sine and will heal their land.

Darby Bible Translation
and my people, who are called by my name, humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from the heavens, and forgive their sin, and heal their land.

English Revised Version
if my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Webster's Bible Translation
If my people, who are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

World English Bible
if my people, who are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Young's Literal Translation
and My people on whom My name is called be humbled, and pray, and seek My face, and turn back from their evil ways, then I -- I hear from the heavens, and forgive their sin, and heal their land.

דברי הימים ב 7:14 Hebrew OT: Westminster Leningrad Codex
וְיִכָּנְע֨וּ עַמִּ֜י אֲשֶׁ֧ר נִֽקְרָא־שְׁמִ֣י עֲלֵיהֶ֗ם וְיִֽתְפַּֽלְלוּ֙ וִֽיבַקְשׁ֣וּ פָנַ֔י וְיָשֻׁ֖בוּ מִדַּרְכֵיהֶ֣ם הָרָעִ֑ים וַאֲנִי֙ אֶשְׁמַ֣ע מִן־הַשָּׁמַ֔יִם וְאֶסְלַח֙ לְחַטָּאתָ֔ם וְאֶרְפָּ֖א אֶת־אַרְצָֽם׃

דברי הימים ב 7:14 Hebrew OT: WLC (Consonants Only)
ויכנעו עמי אשר נקרא־שמי עליהם ויתפללו ויבקשו פני וישבו מדרכיהם הרעים ואני אשמע מן־השמים ואסלח לחטאתם וארפא את־ארצם׃

דברי הימים ב 7:14 Hebrew OT: WLC (Consonants & Vowels)
וְיִכָּנְעוּ עַמִּי אֲשֶׁר נִקְרָא־שְׁמִי עֲלֵיהֶם וְיִתְפַּלְלוּ וִיבַקְשׁוּ פָנַי וְיָשֻׁבוּ מִדַּרְכֵיהֶם הָרָעִים וַאֲנִי אֶשְׁמַע מִן־הַשָּׁמַיִם וְאֶסְלַח לְחַטָּאתָם וְאֶרְפָּא אֶת־אַרְצָם׃

דברי הימים ב 7:14 Hebrew Bible
ויכנעו עמי אשר נקרא שמי עליהם ויתפללו ויבקשו פני וישבו מדרכיהם הרעים ואני אשמע מן השמים ואסלח לחטאתם וארפא את ארצם׃

Apocalypsis 22:21 Latin: Biblia Sacra Vulgata
conversus autem populus meus super quos invocatum est nomen meum deprecatus me fuerit et exquisierit faciem meam et egerit paenitentiam a viis suis pessimis et ego exaudiam de caelo et propitius ero peccatis eorum et sanabo terram eorum

2 Crónicas 7:14 Spanish: La Biblia de las Américas (©1997)
y se humilla mi pueblo sobre el cual es invocado mi nombre, y oran, buscan mi rostro y se vuelven de sus malos caminos, entonces yo oiré desde los cielos, perdonaré su pecado y sanaré su tierra.

2 Crónicas 7:14 Spanish: La Nueva Biblia de los Hispanos (©2005)
y se humilla Mi pueblo sobre el cual es invocado Mi nombre, y oran, buscan Mi rostro y se vuelven de sus malos caminos, entonces Yo oiré desde los cielos, perdonaré su pecado y sanaré su tierra.

2 Crónicas 7:14 Spanish: Reina Valera (1909)
Si se humillare mi pueblo, sobre los cuales ni nombre es invocado, y oraren, y buscaren mi rostro, y se convirtieren de sus malos caminos; entonces yo oiré desde los cielos, y perdonaré sus pecados, y sanaré su tierra.

2 Crónicas 7:14 Spanish: Sagradas Escrituras (1569)
si se humillare mi pueblo, sobre los cuales ni nombre es invocado, y oraren, y buscaren mi rostro, y se convirtieren de sus caminos malos; entonces yo oiré desde los cielos, y perdonaré sus pecados, y sanaré su tierra.

2 Crónicas 7:14 Spanish: Modern
si se humilla mi pueblo sobre el cual es invocado mi nombre, si oran y buscan mi rostro y se vuelven de sus malos caminos, entonces yo oiré desde los cielos, perdonaré sus pecados y sanaré su tierra.

2 Chroniques 7:14 French: Louis Segond (1910)
si mon peuple sur qui est invoqué mon nom s'humilie, prie, et cherche ma face, et s'il se détourne de ses mauvaises voies, -je l'exaucerai des cieux, je lui pardonnerai son péché, et je guérirai son pays.

2 Chroniques 7:14 French: Darby
que mon peuple, qui est appelé de mon nom s'humilie, et prie, et cherche ma face, et revienne de ses mauvaises voies, moi aussi j'écouterai des cieux, et je pardonnerai leur péché, et je guérirai leur pays.

2 Chroniques 7:14 French: Martin (1744)
Et que mon peuple, sur lequel mon Nom est réclamé, s'humilie, et fasse des prières, et recherche ma face, et se détourne de sa mauvaise voie, alors je l'exaucerai des cieux, et je pardonnerai leurs péchés, et je guérirai leur pays.

2 Chroniques 7:14 French: Ostervald (1744)
Et que mon peuple, sur lequel mon nom est invoqué, s'humilie, prie, et cherche ma face, et qu'il se détourne de ses mauvaises voies, alors je l'exaucerai des cieux, je pardonnerai ses péchés, et je guérirai son pays.

2 Chronik 7:14 German: Luther (1912)
und mein Volk sich demütigt, das nach meinem Namen genannt ist, daß sie beten und mein Angesicht suchen und sich von ihren bösen Wegen bekehren werden: so will ich vom Himmel hören und ihre Sünde vergeben und ihr Land heilen. [~]

2 Chronik 7:14 German: Luther (1545)
daß sie mein Volk demütigen, das nach meinem Namen genannt ist, und sie beten und mein Angesicht suchen und sich von ihren bösen Wegen bekehren werden, so will ich vom Himmel hören und ihre Sünde vergeben und ihr Land heilen.

2 Chronik 7:14 German: Elberfelder (1871)
und mein Volk, welches nach meinem Namen genannt wird, (O. über welchem mein Name angerufen wird) demütigt sich, und sie beten und suchen mein Angesicht, und kehren um von ihren bösen Wegen: so werde ich vom Himmel her hören und ihre Sünden vergeben und ihr Land heilen.

歷 代 志 下 7:14 Chinese Bible: Union (Traditional)
這 稱 為 我 名 下 的 子 民 , 若 是 自 卑 、 禱 告 , 尋 求 我 的 面 , 轉 離 他 們 的 惡 行 , 我 必 從 天 上 垂 聽 , 赦 免 他 們 的 罪 , 醫 治 他 們 的 地 。

歷 代 志 下 7:14 Chinese Bible: Union (Simplified)
这 称 为 我 名 下 的 子 民 , 若 是 自 卑 、 祷 告 , 寻 求 我 的 面 , 转 离 他 们 的 恶 行 , 我 必 从 天 上 垂 听 , 赦 免 他 们 的 罪 , 医 治 他 们 的 地 。

歷 代 志 下 7:14 Chinese Bible: NCV (Simplified)
这称为我名下的子民,若是谦卑、祷告、寻求我的面,转离他们的恶行,我必从天上垂听,赦免他们的罪,医治他 们的地。

歷 代 志 下 7:14 Chinese Bible: NCV (Traditional)
這稱為我名下的子民,若是謙卑、禱告、尋求我的面,轉離他們的惡行,我必從天上垂聽,赦免他們的罪,醫治他 們的地。

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ccsct203
No matter how you say it GOD made a promise to HIS PEOPLE not those who hate HIM or don't believe in HIM

So he is going to do a spot cleaning job or everyone hates him or what?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
And if you done believe in HIM that's your problem...not ours.
So don't blame GOD and Christians for your unbelief.
I don't see Muslims praying to their "god" to stop the oil leak.
Maybe Obama will call for a day of prayer to allah. LOL

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
You know, he could've just said "all we can do is pray". Now this is going probably to create another issue.

Originally posted by ccsct203
And if you done believe in HIM that's your problem...not ours.
So don't blame GOD and Christians for your unbelief.
I don't see Muslims praying to their "god" to stop the oil leak.
Maybe Obama will call for a day of prayer to allah. LOL
How is refusing to believe in a mythological being backed by no proof a problem?

[edit on 20-6-2010 by technical difficulties]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I don't understand what could possibly be wrong with that?
If people want to pray, let 'em pray.
The world is full of diverse religions & spiritual beliefs, all of which have prayer in one form or another.
Only about 10% of the entire planet is atheist, so I think I'll go with the majority of six-billion-twenty-seven-million-five-hundred-and-twenty-eight-thousand-six-hundred-and-thirty-seven on this one.
Seriously, it's not like they're saying to stop all the other efforts to clean this mess up.
To most prayer is a comfort, not an offence.
Besides, if mankind alone were so omnipotent and wise, we wouldn't have gotten ourselves in this mess in the first place.
"Spirit has fifty times the strength and staying-power of brawn and muscle."- Mark Twain

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Unless you are of course aware that GOD did not actually write the bible.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join