It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana lawmakers propose prayer to stop oil disaster

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   

While cleanup crews and technical teams continue efforts to stop crude gushing into the Gulf of Mexico, Louisiana lawmakers are proposing a different approach: prayer.

State senators designated Sunday as a day for citizens to ask for God's help dealing with the oil disaster.

"Thus far efforts made by mortals to try to solve the crisis have been to no avail," state Sen. Robert Adley said in a statement released after last week's unanimous vote for the day of prayer. "It is clearly time for a miracle for us."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Source: www.cnn.com...

Really? No, Really? This is a plan?

Well, doesn't really surprise me, after all, BP themselves used every single failed dumb idea to try and stop the oil gushing out of the floor of the gulf, why not prayer?

Of all the ridiculous ideas to come out of a legislative body, praying to god to stop a man made disaster?

I thought God kinda showed Louisiana exactly what it thought of them with Katrina. I mean take a hint people.
God ain't commin' to save y'all now!

[edit on 6/20/2010 by whatukno]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Welcome to America! Where we use a idea of prayer to solve are environmental problems. I can't believe this is even news.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

When everything else fails, prayer is a great tool that a lot of people do not know about.

I hope their prayers can help.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

In fact, it's not only news, it's a Resolution!
State tax dollars were spent on them to decide to ask the state's people to pray to god to stop the oil leak.

That's right, Tax Dollars spent to try and make people PRAY to God!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
well, lets calculate the probability that God exists and then multiply for the probability that God cares about us, then the probability that he can do something about it

anyone interested? I will just guess : 0%

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

If I was God I would say forget it.

But since I am not God, I will say, keep praying.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

You also forgot the variables. According to most faiths, the things that go on in New Orleans are considered sinful. (against gods plan)

The western god apparently is a vengeful one, and apparently doesn't like trailer parks and cities built below sea level.

But, overall, I will rate this as effective as many of the other plans put forward.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

State senators designated Sunday as a day for citizens to ask for God's help dealing with the oil disaster.

Hey maybe that's all they got.

The BP disaster was probably caused by demons and evil spirits, so it's just sensible to ask God for help.

It's worth a shot.

At least the citizens can't blame them for doing nothing.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Sometimes when you run out of options, prayer is all you have left.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I would like to say to you people who believe in prayer, that we join in praying for those people, those animals and the environment.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   

While cleanup crews and technical teams continue efforts to stop crude gushing into the Gulf of Mexico, Louisiana lawmakers are proposing a different approach: prayer.

"Thus far efforts made by mortals to try to solve the crisis have been to no avail," state Sen. Robert Adley said in a statement released after last week's unanimous vote for the day of prayer. "It is clearly time for a miracle for us."

Well, doesn't really surprise me, after all, BP themselves used every single failed dumb idea to try and stop the oil gushing out of the floor of the gulf, why not prayer?

Of all the ridiculous ideas to come out of a legislative body, praying to god to stop a man made disaster?

I thought God kinda showed Louisiana exactly what it thought of them with Katrina. I mean take a hint people.
God ain't commin' to save y'all now!

You have Got to be kidding me.. no.. really.. You cannot be that dense.. Can You whatukno ?

This is not a legislative plan to stop the oil. It's a good freaking idea is all. It helps give people HOPE for their future. It gives them something positive to believe in in the face of this disaster.

Only YOU seriously think that this is an official state plan to stop the oil.

Why don't you post about all the other great things Louisiana is trying to do On Their Own if need be to stop the oil?

This was just a suggestion because Prayer is real though and God does answer prayers. Though it may not be in His will for this area to be cleaned up by a miracle.

How dare you think that God is punishing Americans by giving them a disaster like this. What kind of low life horrible person are you?

And btw, You didn't post your source.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Now I never said that god is responsible for this disaster, this was all done by mortal beings.

And if prayer is your thing, far be it from me to dissuade you from that.

I just don't think that it's really necessary for a state government to spend tax dollars to promote prayer.

I mean, why not have people rub on lamps and hope a genie pops out?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I like the last part. "It is clearly time for a miracle for us." What determined that, their unanimous vote? I see a veto coming on that one. When that fails I suggest we ask for Mario and Luigi's help. Worth a shot, right? And they're plumbers too!

Here's hoping their prayer works, anyway. It's about as close to an actual resolution to the problem as the people will be allowed to have.

Louisiana lawmakers propose prayer to stop oil disaster

[edit on 20-6-2010 by Dewi Winters]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Greer recently posted a two part article talking about these sort of attempts:

thearchdruidreport.blogspot.com...

thearchdruidreport.blogspot.com...

Praying for a Miracle sounds

like a surefire revitalism movement thing to do.

The standard jargon for phenomena of this kind is revitalization movements. They happen when a society is hit by repeated troubles that cut straight to the core of its identity and values. In such times, when existing institutions fail and the collective foundations of meaning crack, there’s a large demand for some new vision of destiny that will make sense of the troubles and offer a way past them to some brighter future. The economics of popular belief being what they are, that demand very quickly finds an ample supply.

Revitalization movements, like new cars, come with standard features and a range of optional gewgaws that can be added on to suit the tastes of the buyer. The standard features include a thorough critique of the existing order of society, which is meant to show that the troubles have occurred because either the people who have suffered from them, or some other group that’s to blame for them, have misbehaved and are being punished; a vision of a Utopian future that will arrive right after the troubles if the right things are done; and a straightforward plan of action to make the transition from the troubles to the Utopian future. The problem is that the plan of action can’t actually deliver the goods; that’s what defines something as a revitalization movement rather than, say, an ordinary movement seeking social change. Revitalization movements emerge when all the practical options for dealing with a crisis are either unworkable or unthinkable.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Haha PRAYER isn't going to help anything but waste the time of individuals praying. Prayer never has been proven to work and never will. I can't believe this guy would say those. God's day give me a break.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Now I never said that god is responsible for this disaster, this was all done by mortal beings.

And if prayer is your thing, far be it from me to dissuade you from that.

I just don't think that it's really necessary for a state government to spend tax dollars to promote prayer.

I mean, why not have people rub on lamps and hope a genie pops out?

Your right.. you said people were punished by God during Katrina. "I thought God kinda showed Louisiana exactly what it thought of them with Katrina. I mean take a hint people"

They didn't spend tax dollars to promote prayer. Someone thought it was a good idea others agreed and so it was announced.

It's not like there are signs and billboards all over the place promoting this.. not even one that I have seen.

Your lamp rubbing statement is insulting. This area is host to very large numbers of faith based people. Asking Louisianians to pray is kin to asking them to eat Cajun food or seafood.. it's just what we do down here and people who live here know that.

Your unbelievable. you say it's not for you to dissuade someone from praying yet, you would have them rub a magic lamp that can offer no hope. Don't you understand the difference in faith in God and how that helps people and a magic lamp which is just make believe?

I guess not.

Oh and btw.. you still didn't post your source.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Don't you understand the difference in faith in God and how that helps people and a magic lamp which is just make believe?

I do apologize, but you set yourself up for this.

THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE. THEY ARE BOTH MAKE BELIEVE.

Faith in God is based on NOTHING other than you have been told. The entire Father Christmas childhood experience never really clears this up for people, does it?

Had you grown up in another country, you may be Muslim, Buddhist, Pagan, or hell knows what else.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by ReluctantShaman]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Well if this what their answer is, who is surprised? Pandering to those of faith is a classic and time honored way to appease the sheeple.

The people living in Louisiana elected the morons who wasted their own tax dollars discussing prayer for politics, so they deserve the service they get from the clowns.

We keep going backwards in politics in this country, not forward.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Your right.. you said people were punished by God during Katrina. "I thought God kinda showed Louisiana exactly what it thought of them with Katrina. I mean take a hint people"

See there is a difference between a hurricane (also referred to as an act of god) and BP screwing the pooch on an oil rig.

Your unbelievable. you say it's not for you to dissuade someone from praying yet, you would have them rub a magic lamp that can offer no hope. Don't you understand the difference in faith in God and how that helps people and a magic lamp which is just make believe?

It's an alternative, I figure if you are going to pray to your imaginary friend, you got the same shot of it working as if you rub a lamp and expect a genie to pop out. Personally if I were in Louisiana, I wouldn't be too hopeful for God to help out, it appears that God doesn't like Louisiana much. I mean another method that would be right up NOLA's alley would be to have a voodoo priestess go out with a chicken and dance.

Oh and btw.. you still didn't post your source.

Check the OP again. I did post it after you pointed it out the first time.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
OK, I am still praying to God - that is what I am doing.
To help.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join