It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon revives Rumsfeld-era domestic spying unit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Pentagon revives Rumsfeld-era domestic spying unit

rawstory.com

The Pentagon's spy unit has quietly begun to rebuild a database for tracking potential terrorist threats that was shut down after it emerged that it had been collecting information on American anti-war activists.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Here we go. Everything old is new again.

While I agree we need some damn good data and intel, is the DIA/Pentagon really the place for this? Particularly if it's on people inside the country, that is if they abuse it like they did the last time with tracking war protesters and the like.

I mean don't we already have that in our law enforcement organizations? And wouldn't the money be better spent there? And will this link up to law enforcement better than it seemed to the last go round?

On a personal note, I think I may be losing my mind, as most of the news I'm reading now bringing on an odd sense of deja vu. I swear we're revisting virtually every single topic that we visited during the former administration...with basically the same results. It's like the players just changed hats.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
I swear we're revisting virtually every single topic that we visited during the former administration...with basically the same results. It's like the players just changed hats.

Well, Americans were promised change... it looks like you got it.

Just a wardrobe change - hats!

As long as people are dumb enough to vote for others to rule them, then it will be the same ol' same ol' all the time.

As for the story, the spying order can't have been given too quietly if it's been posted here on ATS!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Yeah I guess we Americans could use a little refresher course in covert tactics, eh? When I first saw the headline, I cringed thinking it was Ashcroft's "spy on your neighbor and report mummy and daddy's activities." That's probably coming next considering the recent refocusing on home-grown terrorism.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
This is an outrage;

The government is starting to overstep their bounderies

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SupremeKnowledge

Yes...outrage take 2. I'm angry about this for a few reasons, one of which is budgetary, another which is that I know their databases are still not linked to law enforcement, and a third well...hell...I forgot.

And now we're getting rumblings in other topics that al Qaeda is threatening us again, that bin Laden is in Iran, and that U.S. warships are moving into the Persian Gulf. And that's just the mainstream news.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Great link and post. I think you're exactly on the right track and thanks for the good link to that article. It's kind of self-aggrandizing to think that "conspiracy theorists' or we should say investigators will be the first ones they come after, but since it's the non-democratically appointed parts of the government in Homeland Security, the State Department, and the FBI, CIA, and DoD that will be defining who's a "terrorist threat" for the foreseeable future, we may be among the first they come after now.

Right now I'm listening to Sibel Edomond's Boiling Frogs interview with Project Censored's Peter Phillips who I know a little and respect greatly. Sibel was an FBI whistleblower and one of the TPTB's worst enemies. Here's a link to her site and I'll put one up for project Censored too.

www.boilingfrogspost.com...
www.projectcensored.org...

These can both be good resources for Above Top Secret readers for independent news and particularly on these issues.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Well this seems to go hand-in-hand with a news article I read today.

Supreme Court upholds controversial part of Patriot Act

The US Supreme Court on Monday upheld the constitutionality of a federal law that makes it illegal to teach members of a foreign terrorist group how to use peaceful means to pursue political goals.

The statute, outlawing the provision of “material support” to designated terrorist organizations, does not violate free-speech and free-association protections of the First Amendment, and it is not unconstitutionally vague, the majority justices declared.

The majority opinion, written by Chief Justice John Roberts, says that Congress intentionally wrote the statute with a broad sweep to outlaw material support to terror groups in any form, including assistance or expertise that might help nudge the group toward nonviolence.

In the darkest world of conspiracies where government control potentially exists over a society of people who want nothing but peace and the weeding out of corporate oligarchists, these are jigsaw pieces that put together a very morbid puzzle.

Add to this, the proposal to strip American citizenship away www.cnn.com... from those found to have supplied 'material support' (which now constitutes the mere giving of advice) to terrorist organizations defined by the government... and we have set the stage for something sinister.

I would be disgusted, but not surprised, if this spying unit deems THIS site a tool being used to radicalize Americans into terrorist acts. Then, accuses members of providing 'material support' to terrorists ... Then arrests ... then stripping of citizenships ... and the ball will be rolling downhill fast as can be.

Hopefully something like this won't be the case. But the only thing that PROTECTS us from something like that, is the constitution. The constitutional validity of the laws that are being passed must be put to question, but the Supreme Court Justices have been so swayed with this 'war on terror' that they are letting the laws pass.

top topics

join