It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*Giant ASTEROID zipping through our Solar System**

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Early in January 2010 I started looking at NASA's SOHO footage on a daily basis.

I noticed quite a few comets whizz by, and some looked like they impacted the sun. Some were discussed here on ATS. One in particular stood out, and I decided to save a screen capture.

After playing it back at various speeds, I noticed something a bit more ominous streaking by, starting at left of frame. It starts out quite bright, dims as it goes by the Sun, and then becomes bright again. It appears to move quite fast in relation to the background stars.

I'm sure anyone can verify this by going back to those dates on nasa's website.

I think discovery of the comet in question in this video was credited to an amateur astronomer in Australia. He saw it on NASA's footage.

Anyway, have a look and tell me what you think it is.

Regards.

PS. This is my first thread, so if the vid does not embed, can someone please help?
YouTube video here
Thanks

[edit on 20-6-2010 by V1g0r0u5]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
What is the big deal about having something giant zipping through our solar system?

Besides, the thing you point out is moving incredibly slow compared to everything else that is whizzing by.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by RestingInPieces]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces
What is the big deal about having something giant zipping through our solar system?

Well, for starters, wouldn't you like to know if something big was headed towards, Earth? I think that would be a big deal.

Regards

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

Are we seeing the same video? The object I point out is noticeable because it moves faster than the background stars.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by V1g0r0u5

Well, for starters, wouldn't you like to know if something big was headed towards, Earth? I think that would be a big deal.

It's heading towards Earth is it? Perhaps that's something you need to ascertain first otherwise it's no big deal as RestingInPieces suggests.

IRM

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

It's heading towards Earth is it? Perhaps that's something you need to ascertain first otherwise it's no big deal as RestingInPieces suggests.

IRM

Wow! I didn't think this would be so hard.
I did not say it was headed to earth. I did not say it was a big deal either.
I said it would be a big deal if it were.

Anyway, the point is, I found it interesting that seemingly huge heavenly bodies routinely pass us by, at great speed, without a mention from the people who are supposed to be monitoring this.

Shall I remove the thread then?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Are we seeing the same video? The object I point out is noticeable because it moves faster than the background stars.

Don't you notice all the other things zipping by at 25x the speed?

Perhaps you need to have your eyes checked.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Ok, you don't need to attack me.
Everything is zipping by at speed. And everything moves in relation to everything else. Except for the object clearly moving faster than anything else.

Now, in light of this recent thread , I thought I'd point out something moving through our Solar System. If you don't find it interesting, please don't attack me or bother to post. I type really slowly, so won't be responding to attackers.

Regards

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Anyway, the point is, I found it interesting that seemingly huge heavenly bodies routinely pass us by, at great speed, without a mention from the people who are supposed to be monitoring this.

There are comets and asteroids moving through the solar system on a regular basis. The reason majority of them don't make the news is because the closest they will ever get to earth is millions upon millions of miles. They aren't news worthy.

IRM

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by V1g0r0u5

Well spotted, V1g0r0u5. I watched this same SOHO video back then and was too focussed on the flashy, fast moving items below the sun to notice that object. From my layman's point of view, the objects dimished brightness probably indicates an irregular shape and would therefore give an indication of it's speed of revolution.

I'm curious but not very hopeful of ever finding out!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I like your post, V1g0r0u5, you did a good job on the video.

I am not an astrophysicist, and I take it you aren't either, that's not a big deal.
The fact that you found something interesting, put it in an easily digestible form (ie. video) and posted it here is a public service, so ignore the trolls.

It looks as though the object is in retrograde orbit, if that's relevant.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Ok, you don't need to attack me.

If you don't find it interesting, please don't attack me or bother to post. I type really slowly, so won't be responding to attackers.

No one is attacking you. Merely disputing the manner in which it is being reported. Are you often this sensitive?

IRM

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnJasper

Thank you for the reply. I am hoping someone on ATS with the necessary background can explain what it might be.

Regards

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I agree, some people go out of their way to be jerks.

S/F ...I would like to know, also, what it is.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by myster0

Thanks for the reply and kind words. You're right, I'm no astrophysicist.
I am curious to know if this object was spotted and documented by NASA, but have no clue how to find out.

Regards

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Even a tiny 1-or-2 km-diameter strike would be devistating to human life. There are plenty of 100-km-or-larger asteroids floating about. No, we don't know where they all are -- even the ones close to us. There are only a handful of people on earth monitoring the trajectories and locations of Asteroids, and the ones they are able to become aware of are a tiny fraction of the number of real asteroids that we have a potential of being hit by. Again, even the majority of those in our own neighborhood (i.e., between Venus and Mars) we have no awareness of. We could be hit any time with a specias-destroying asteroid and have, say, an hour or two warning at most.

I say if people want to track and be aware of asteroids and other objects, good for them, and the more people involved in this the better. Every helping hand counts. I'd rather have people interested in scanning the skies for asteroids than simply vegging out in front of the TV.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Even a tiny 1-or-2 km-diameter strike would be devistating to human life. There are plenty of 100-km-or-larger asteroids floating about. No, we don't know where they all are -- even the ones close to us. There are only a handful of people on earth monitoring the trajectories and locations of Asteroids, and the ones they are able to become aware of are a tiny fraction of the number of real asteroids that we have a potential of being hit by. Again, even the majority of those in our own neighborhood (i.e., between Venus and Mars) we have no awareness of. We could be hit any time with a specias-destroying asteroid and have, say, an hour or two warning at most.

I say if people want to track and be aware of asteroids and other objects, good for them, and the more people involved in this the better. Every helping hand counts. I'd rather have people interested in scanning the skies for asteroids than simply vegging out in front of the TV.

I agree, even a tiny asteroid would do serious damage to this planet.

The one in the video looks like it is MASSIVE.

Would someone with the necessary skill be able to work out it's size, distance from us and it's velocity?

There are some really clever folks here on ATS.

Regards

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I would suggest that you would be unable to tell the speed of that object as you have no idea of either the size or the distance.

I'm a little confused which 'dot' you are referring to actually - is it the one apx under the '?' in your scrolling label?

Just off to watch the clip one more time - but I don't really see much to go on at all personally.

edit... still none the wiser... Maybe someone could help with a screen grab and an ever useful red circle.

[edit on 20/6/2010 by Now_Then]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

It is the object under "What on earth is this?" in the zoomed portion of the clip. Yo can see it travel fast from left to right. Faster than the background stars. When it gets to centre frame, it dims, then gradually brightens.

Hope that helps.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
i can also see why some of us see faster moving objects. But my thought on these objects are the fact that they are small dust, ice and rock particles way closer then the slower moving stuff on the background... No?

Anyways, i don't posses the skills to measure the distance and speed of the object. But to be small minded and compare them to the rest of the background, it could even be a giant planet moving at terrible great speed.

Kind regards,
Griff

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join