It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Underground bioterror threat in Darwin spooks US scientists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Underground bioterror threat in Darwin spooks US scientists

www.heral dsun.com.au

A DEADLY terrorist weapon could be buried in the backyards of Darwin's northern suburbs, US scientists fear.

US authorities say melioidosis - commonly known as Nightcliff Gardeners Disease - is a potential bioterror threat.

The US Government believes the tropical disease, caused by soil-dwelling bacteria, could become the next anthrax-style bioterrorism threat.

Melioidosis caught the attention of the US Government when it realised the naturally-occurring bacteria had the potential to be used as biological weapon.

Australian and American scientists are now on the verge of a breakth
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
There's a big +1 for nature. Coupled with the ever present 'war-on-terra' message, it seems like Darwin might attract some more research interest into this bioterror.

I hope the Taliban or Al-CIAdauh aren't reading this news story... they might like to find a hidden cache of WMD to use.

It's lucky Australia is a US ally, otherwise we might have had Aircraft Carriers off the coast, threatening to bomb our arse back into the stone age.

Look at it this way, it's a convenient way to kick people off their land, if deposits of the bacteria are 'found' in potentially strategic locations.

Meh... I'm too cynical to care, lately.

www.heral dsun.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

The US Government believes the ... soil-dwelling bacteria, could become the next anthrax-style bioterrorism threat.

Everyone back away from your back yard garden plot. Be afraid of the dirt.

Leave the growing of vegetables to the corporations who will provide you all with abundant hydroponicly grown vegetables, for a small fee.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Most of this stuff, anthrax, botulism, plague, already exist in nature, and have been around a lot longer than the mad scientists.

It cannot be too dangerous in it's natural state, so I would not panic just yet.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

US authorities want to watch themselves if they're trying to suggest we're a terror threat to them.

If they try to come here and attack us for our resources, I don't know about you guys but I'm going to go nuts.

We've got stuff a hundred times more lethal than this sitting down the CSIRO

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Looks to me that american has had another escape from the labs like has happened with limes diesease and black mould after they have weaponized it.

Keep away from the deer too.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
No doubt the US will be the first to weaponise it.

IRM

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Guess they havent got enough viruses to work with at ft. detrick md and need new ones.. Oh wait.. The u.s doesnt engage in biowarfare research or weapons development *wink* *wink*

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Melioidosis s caused by the bacterium Burkholderia pseudomallei. It is common to areas of the South Pacific and Northern Oz. Meliodosis usually attacks people that have several co-morbidly diagnoses such as diabetes, kidney or liver disease or problems with their immune systems. It can be spread through sexual contact and body fluids. It starts out looking like a pimple that continuously drains and is accompanied by flu like symptoms.
Like many of the diseases of the apocalypse, it’s resistant to many antibiotics and is difficult to kill. Up to 5 to 7 months of antibiotic therapy is recommended to kill melioidosis and prevent the disease from recurring. Intravenous antibiotics (ceftazidime, imipenem or meropenem) are preferred for the first few weeks. Combinations of oral antibiotics (e.g., chloramphenicol, doxycycline and trimethoprim- sulfamethoxazole) can be used to complete a longer course of treatment.
Source: from my knowledge of medicine.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

I’ve only flown into Alice Springs a dozen or so times (The Diplomat Motel is where we stay and the food at Red Ochre Grill is superb). This bacterium usually grows in areas similar to rice paddies. Excluding the area south of Flynn around Commanage Rd and 87, is Northern Oz like this?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Melioidosis caught the attention of the US Government when it realised the naturally-occurring bacteria had the potential to be used as biological weapon.

Why is it that once something has weaponization potential that it "catches the attention" of the US Government.

I hope none of those 17 missing afghanis get their hands on this stuff, what you know with a big national holiday weekend coming up and everything.

Maybe they will even use the internet to control/distribute this stuff and that will be the final straw for the internet kill switch.

lol but seriously, when this stuff is used expect some major freedom restrictions.

new topics

top topics

join