It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your name can influence your life.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Hi ATS

I was just introduced in the wonderful world of names.

Studies show your name to have a direct influence on your life.
Names starting with an A are more likely to get you good grades. Names with an F are often
responsible for the name owner to get bad grades.

WHAT !!?

I imagine that would be the reaction of some of you. It was my first response followed by, I don't believe it.

In a separate study, Simmons and Nelson compared students initials with their GPAs and found that students who had C or D as an initial had lower GPAs than students who had A or B as an initial.

People with C or D initials do not want to do badly, Simmons explained, but on some unconscious level doing poorly is just ever so slightly not as bad, and so they are ever so slightly less motivated to avoid it.
]

Now... have you accept it or do you think it can't be true ?

The next thing I wanted to tell is that when you name a boy with a girly name, he is more likely to develop unwanted behavior around the age of 11 or 12. When there is a girl in his class even more so.

Boys with names traditionally given to girls are more likely to misbehave than their counterparts with masculine names, research suggests.

Even in base ball they found a direct relation with names starting with the letter K.
Which apparently stands for a strike out. This of course happens more to those named Kevin then Stuart for example.

In baseball, strikeouts are recorded using the letter K. Simmons and Nelson analyzed 93 years of Major League Baseball players performances and found that batters whose names began with a K struck out slightly more often than batters whose names did not.]

Highly unlikely, don't you think ?

I was also surprised by the amount of parents who regretted the name they gave to their child for several reasons. Not as much as the effect a name can have to its owner do.

I just had to share this with you because I think that the effects of a name should not really have any effect at all. It goes head on with my understanding of intelligence.

Weird !

Does any of you know of a similar situation ? Or the opposite of course ?
My name starts with an N. I happen to like the letter N and it is even my favorite.
Liking letters from your own name happens to relate to a high self esteem
I know my self esteem is of the chart.
Really it is.

However I'm grounded enough to know others might disagree with me. Let them !

Well there is more but you need to read the articles to find out. Please let me know what you think ? Examples ore also more then welcome.

Good or bad ? Baby names have long lasting effect.
And
Your initials could spell succes.

To be honest I would have never even thought a name could have such a profound effect on a persons life.Well... at least not in the way explained in the articles.

Be amazed !

Kind regards

~ Sinter.

[edit on 6/20/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
change the color of these texts to something we can actually read ... try to add just a B to make it stronger or _

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
now everything makes sense. My name starts with F... FAIL

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
No wonder I did horribly in school, my name has M and G in it. ~laughs~
I would have to flunk just to get a better grade ( I did so poorly, I got an M for a grade )

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

Are you mocking me ? Or do you really give some good advice ?
Cause I will change it if you really want me to

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Reminds me of the curse of the name Wayne, and how a high percentile of criminals have Wayne as their middle name:
freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com...

One theory is that it's the result of the image of John Wayne, otherwise known by his real name, Marion Mitchell Morrison, a famous American actor who played very masculine or tough-guy roles, an expectation effect that may have 'rubbed off' on those with the middle name of Wayne.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by star in a jar]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
reply to post by Faiol

Are you mocking me ? Or do you really give some good advice ?
Cause I will change it if you really want me to

go light in ATS

then you will notice it is impossible to read your text

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

Thank you

That is truly mind provoking.
I wonder if there is a replacement name out here. Wayne is not really common if it is used at all.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

I see... What a bummer.
My other choice is hard to read in dark mode.

Thanks for pointing this out.

I will change it.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
An uncommon name builds character.

Any future projection is subjective and inheritantly speculative.

Uniqueness breeds uniqueness.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Actually I didnt really find this information surprising, it's interesting and a good post, but not surprising as I know the subconscious plays a larger role than most people think. I am sure any influence letters in names have is minimal though. I also doubt who ever made the study factored in the demographics of each name group(some names are more common in different dems..), but now I am just being picky.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Albert Einstein's brother Frederick was about as sharp as a bowling ball. LOL

BASEBALL
*Kirby Puckett - 7831 career plate appearances, 965 strike outs 12%
*Kiki Cuyler - 8098 career plate appearances, 752 strike outs 9.28%
*King Kelly - 6455 career plate appearances, 418 strike outs 6.47%
Ken Griffey Jr - 11304 career plate app., 1779 strike outs 15%

Let's compare that to some players with H for hit and R for run 1st initials:

*Harmon Kilibrew - 9831 career plate app., 1699 strike outs 17%
*Reggie Jackson - 11416 cpa, 2597 strike outs 22%
*Ricky Henderson - 13346 cpa, 1694 strike outs 12.7%
*Hank/Henry Aaron - 13940 cpa, 1383 strike outs 9.92%
for kicks
*Babe George Herman Ruth - 10617 cpa, 1330 strike outs 12.5%
* = Hall of Famer

John Wayne's real first name was Marion.

Names and initials don't mean a thing. Well if you named your kid Dopehead or something like that, perhaps.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Enjoyable article. In some ways it's a statement of the bleeding obvious!

We all know how a kid's name can make or break them at school. We also know that some names are associated with people from a certain class. For example, who'd we expect to be a successful accountant...James?...or Jimmy? Amy...or Aimee?

It's faintly ridiculous that names have an input to our expectations and prejudices about people, but they do. The study only seems to reflect an aspect of society that already exists. Johnny Cash used to sing about 'A Boy Named Sue' and how he'd have to 'get tough or die.' Same sort of thing and funnier than the article!

One paragraph was waving a flag at me...

"Kids who have names [that] from a linguistic perspective are likely to be given by poorly educated parents, those kids ended up being treated differently," Figlio said. "They do worse in school and are less likely to be recommended for gifted [classes] and more likely to be classified as learning disabled."

This logic seems like they're trying way too hard to push their argument about names. Poorly educated parents will usually have poorly paid jobs, live in poorer areas and have less successful schools in the district. In that light, young Billy Bob and Elly Soo will likely struggle at school due to their backgrounds and not their names.

Let's flip it over! Billy Bob is now 'William' and Elly Soo is now 'Hilary.' They have the same folks in poorly paid jobs in a poorer area with unemployment and a fast food diet. Will the names make any difference now to their success in school? Maybe 'William' gets picked on for his name....but 'Billy' doesn't? Poor Hilary is left out for being 'aloof' until she dumbs herself down to fit in or gets a nickname her peers can relate to! lol

Names? The article puts the horse before the cart by attributing so much significance to names. The name is a symptom of the culture and society the baby grows up in. Another member mentioned 'Wayne' as a poor name? If 'Wayne' was born into a wealthy Ivy League family and went to private school, would he be successful or not? If another Wayne was raised by his auntie in a town row in Detroit....would he be successful?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas
No trouble, just sharing knowledge
. I wonder if that name isn't given anymore as much because of the notorious criminal John Wayne Gacy, who killed 33 men.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Another thing that I've read- I cannot recall the source- but the material stated that boys who are given 'odd or weird' names tend to have a higher risk of various mental issues.

However- girls who are given such names do not have any noticeable risks compared to their male peers, in fact, they seem immune.

Very interesting. It may be that such names are deemed acceptable for girls but triggers something in boys.

My name starts with 'G'... I have no idea how it affected me in life.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by primus2012
Names and initials don't mean a thing. Well if you named your kid Dopehead or something like that, perhaps.

While I am a believer in the theory that a name can influence or direct a persons character or life, I don't think that it is a natural law. Case-in-point Marijuana Pepsi.

the woman named after a psychoactive weed and a popular soft drink made it through childhood, college and grad school and became a college counselor. “I’ve grown into my name because I am a strong woman. I’ve had to be,” Marijuana Pepsi said, adding that she still wonders what made her mother pick that name.

I would have said this person has only two paths she could take; one to fit the name, the other to overcome it. I don't think there was much chance for an in between.

Also, I think that there may be something to how people 'look' like a certain name. One of the names my mother was debating between choosing or me was Ryan. She went with something different, but a surprising number of times in my life, people have either called me Ryan or said I looked like a Ryan.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

I can only agree with you.

That does not mean Peggy Sue is a doll and Tiffany a slut.
The article claims that is case more often then vice versa.

It shows a weakness in human perspective as well as it does in human self esteem or low expectations.

The first is what you learn from others around you. The second
Maybe you just want to be like your dad.

I don't know...

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
what is in a name?

patrick stewart

now if i can exert enough will to turn that "w" upside down into a "m" ...
and if i can exert enough free will to re-arrange those same letters....
and if i can exert enough free will to choose to add " ' " & a "."....

I'm Star Trek Capt.

patrick stewart .... i'm star trek capt.

coincidence?

Christopher O'deil Reeves
Horse River Helicoptered

what is in a name?
thanks,
ET

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

I often find myself in a room full of people. These people went to the same kind of educational system, watched the same TV shows and eat the same food.

Yet... Somehow it happens a lot I will ask a perfectly normal question on a perfectly normal subject that is as common as taking a leak every day.

Somehow they just stare with an opened mouth and do not have the slightest clue what I've just asked.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by primus2012

Thanks

I needed that. It brings back some balance.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join