It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starbucks Wi-Fi Signals End of Reliance on 3G

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Starbucks Wi-Fi Signals End of Reliance on 3G

www.pcworld.com

Effective July 1, you will be able to get free Wi-Fi access to go with that venti iced chai latte at more than 6,700 Starbucks coffee shops. Combined with the free Wi-Fi at 11,000 McDonald's restaurants, and free wireless networking at a wide variety of other shops and cafés across the country, access to 3G (or now 4G) networking is becoming increasingly irrelevant.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 19/6/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
So it seems Starbucks is going to be providing free wifi to anyone close to one starting July 1st 2010. This could be a serious problem in a time of national emergency.

Does anyone know if the kill switch will be able to stop this since it is wifi??

www.pcworld.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 19/6/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Wi-fi is just the distribution method many people choose to get to the Internet. The proposed kill switch would be on the internet servers themselves so this has no impact on that scenario.

On a side note though that's good to know since there is a Starbucks near the local drinking blocks (yes, 2 blocks of bars that is thriving even in this economy). I'll be able to check my email while ordering a cold one.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Y2Zgt

Getting some free ad time in for Starcrack?

I see no issues here. It's about time as many indie coffee shops offer free wi-fi. You'd think the biggest coffee chain in the world would have the funds to pull it off eh?

On a side note though that's good to know since there is a Starbucks near the local drinking blocks (yes, 2 blocks of bars that is thriving even in this economy). I'll be able to check my email while ordering a cold one.

No one should be surprised. A well-run bar always does well. Unless it's overly trendy it's fine. I ran bars for most of my young adult life. Stinky business some days but great money.

[edit on 19-6-2010 by antonia]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Actually you wont be able to shut down the interent, have you read this article:

www.masternewmedia.org...

It is an interent that doesnt need an isp, it is just computers that connnect to each other via the wireless card in thier laptops. So all you need is a wireless card, and any other computer next to yours which has similar software...and once hundreds and thousands have this system, it gets impossible to shut it off.

So therefore no kill switch can turn of this network.

Back to wifi at starbucks, the ISP provides a landline to starbucks who then routes traffic via a router so the limiting factor is the ISPs providing to starbucks.

Once again there are systems being designed to prevent killswitches like you said, so the internet will never be able to be turned off. Hehe ATS will live forever muahahaha mauahahahah

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

That's a very interesting article, and ever since I heard about the proposed internet "kill switch" bill, I wondered if something like that would be possible using Wi-Fi nework. It seems his service isn't up yet, so if you know of any other means like that, please let us all, let us know!

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I am absolutely delighted ! Thank you so much. Gotta go...

top topics

join