It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Reportedly Under Fire for Buying Russian Helicopters for Afghan Air Corps

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

U.S. Reportedly Under Fire for Buying Russian Helicopters for Afghan Air Corps

www.foxnews.com

The U.S. government came under fire from Congressmen for buying Russian-made helicopters instead of American choppers to form Afghanistan's air force, according to a report in Saturday's edition of The Washington Post.

The U.S. Defense Department was criticized for planning to purchase 10 Russian Mi-17 helicopters next year for the Afghan National Army Air Corps, after the Pentagon already spent $648 million to buy or refurbish 31 of the aircraft.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

I agree with the decision to use Russian helicopters due to the familiarity with that type of aircraft and the price of those aircraft. US tax-payers are more than likely going to be on the hook for this purchase, so why not go with the cheaper, more logical choice?

I think certain politicians are only causing a stink for corporate interests, such as Chris Dodd, who has Sikorsky headquartered in his state. In fact, Sikorsky helicopters are maid with foreign parts so it's not as if this is an "American made" issue. Maybe if US corporations weren't profiting so much off of these wars, we may just be able to focus on wrapping this whole conflict up.

Just my 2 cents.

--airspoon

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I would imagine, as you say, that the Afghans would be more familiar with the Russian chopper. Makes sense to get those ones

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Is this the same as this???

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join