It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli Soldiers Using Debit Cards Stolen in Raid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Israeli troops have been accused of stealing from activists arrested in the assault on the Gaza flotilla after confiscated debit cards belonging to activists were subsequently used.

Individual soldiers appear to have used confiscated debit cards to buy items such as iPod accessories, while mobile phones seized from activists have also been used for calls.

Ebrahim Musaji, 23, of Gloucester, has a bank statement showing his debit card was used in an Israeli vending machine for a purchase costing him 82p on 9 June.

It was then used on a Dutch website, www.thisipod.com, twice on 10 June: once for amounts equivalent to £42.42 and then for £37.83. And a Californian activist, Kathy Sheetz, has alleged that she has been charged more than $1,000 in transactions from vending machines in Israel since 6 June.

Another American activist, David Schermerhorn, 80, from Washington state, claims his iPhone was used, while Manolo Luppichini, an Italian journalist, said his card was debited with the equivalent of €54 after it was confiscated.

www.commondreams.org...

[edit on 19-6-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Is this not a crime? Does the IDF think they deserve a bonus for attacking the flotilla?

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

This is crazy but not a surprise at all. In fact, this is what I would expect. Sadly, these people will most likely be labled as anti-semitics for even making such a claim. Also, this will probably not be resolved ever, due to international jurisdictions.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

I expect to be called an Israel-hater. No matter what country it is, the "raid" was wrong and this is just salt in the wounds of the people on the boat.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
If this is true, it is a shame. These people should be put in jail.

That being said, I would like to say that this happens everywhere in the world. Not just by IDF soldiers, and not just in Israel.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

I've no doubt this crap happens with other armies. The reason it caught my eye is that the IDF is trying to claim the moral high ground here.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Just request chargeback and cancel their current cards.

Then simply re issue new ones.

Israel did good through evil means, damaged the slave financial system.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Modern day pirates .. Instead of the traditional booty of gold the modern booty credit cards.. Saves them worry over possible hernias from carrying too much gold..

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
You know, I have a lot to say about this, but I won't.

I do not feel like being pegged as an anti-semetic.

Because, ya know, the Israelis are ALWAYS the victim NO MATTER what the circumstances are.....

Chosen people my ass.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Of course they are the victims here. They didnt get to charge 1000's of dollars on everyone's stolen cards and use the stolen cell phones for 1000 of mins of air time. They acquired them and are now unable to use their acquired goods without protest.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

This would not be news if it was not Israel involved. That is my point.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

It would, actually. Any soldier stealing items while "defending" their nation would be talked about.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   

And not as if it hasn't happened before , passports
and more than likely stole their identities.
And from the dead they took their life.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
"the IDF think they deserve a bonus"
"not a surprise"
"Israel did good through evil means"
"this is piracy"

My god you people never cease to amaze me.
You act as if the IDF had bought a tank with activists' money.
As if the IDF just handed the cards to people saying "here, go get yourself something nice".
As if this is not some kind of prank by an idiot soldier (may I remind you the age is 18-21) that probably has nothing to do with the commandos and soldiers who operated, but rather serves in the logistics base where all the equipment was sent to, and thought he could use the credit card without getting caught?

What, you want to tell me you guys don't have stupid people in your countries?

Seriously, the things that come out of your mouths sometimes.. It's amazing how fast you'd jump at an opportunity to generalize something that was clearly done by one person, to the entire army, country, or people...

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

Read the article; it was several people. The point is, those who want to claim the moral high ground are committing crimes. The high ground is lost.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

On balance I would think that these terrorist supporters probably made the purchases in Israel themselves, and only now report the "fraud" just to make Israel look bad. If this is the case It also seems that they were not "immediately deported" as claimed either.

Let's face facts. If these militant haters of Israel makes common cause with the Hamas, then I'm sure this credit card subterfuge would be EXACTLY the kind of thing they would do.

Why can't these terrorist thieves and liars simply leave peaceful Israelis alone?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

If this "story" of credit card use by the IDF is true (which I doubt) then I will say this.
Perhaps the brave Israeli soldiers were genuinely needy & had to use the terrorists credit cards just to make ends meet?

If this IS the case, then perhaps all these American critics should look to themselves & ask if the USA is providing enough financial aid to Israel & her brave soldiers in these troubled times. Sometimes it seems to me that Obama's America is betraying Israel both politically and financially...

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Lionel

How did they make the purchases while in prison?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Lionel

I have to assume this is a joke post.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Okay, I read it.

The thing is this- All these credit cards, cameras and phones go to some warehouse somewhere, and are deposited there by logistics soldiers.
Now, logistics soldiers are... Let's say most of them aren't Israel's finest youth..
It's enough that one of them is an idiot enough to take all the cards and use them to buy stuff, or that one of them is stupid enough to take one of the phones and call one of his friends as some kind of a prank "hey guess what phone I'm calling from", and that's it.
Now, odds are they're going to be caught and sentenced (If they called one of their friends this shouldn't be a problem).
This shouldn't reflect on the IDF or Israeli people as a whole..

"As had happened previously, an Israeli soldier was found guilty of illegal use of a credit card for which he was indicted and sentenced to seven months' imprisonment."

One thing I don't get though is why would Israel take credit cards and money in the first place?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join