It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone have any ideas about what this could be?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I have been noticing that sometimes while online, my 'puter make a "knocking" noise. It actually sounds like someone is knocking on your front door, except that it is coming from inside the 'puter. Does anyone have any ideas about what this could be?

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Maybe your hard drive is not functioning properly. Does this happen only when you're online? where exactly does the sound seem to be emanating from? What type of equipment do you have installed inside your CPU?

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 07:08 PM
link   
It only happens when I'm online. The knocking is coming from the monitor itself. I'm operating on Windows XP.

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Oh, I have no idea what could cause a knocking noise inside your monitor.

Sorry

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Yes, easy.

When you buy your computer it comes complete with a small person who lives inside and does allt he work. He has his own food and the whirring sound you hear is his air conditioning.

Whats happened is that he has run out of food and needs some more. Its important to keep him fed and happy or you lose your data.

So open your CD drawer and place a flat cookie on the tray and close it. This will sustain hm for about 1 month.

For liquids gentlypour some water in the top of your monitor, it will siphon its way from the header tank in the monitor to the guys kitchen.

His name is George, (they all are) so be sure to greet him each morning.

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 07:13 PM
link   
LOL...that's cute!

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I think N-C's the most likely explanation; but monitors do suffer all the problems (or most) that TV's can suffer. Line noise tends to be the culprit -check what else is on the AC circuit: maybe even change the socket you use. Other noises can come from automatic degaussing, telephone line problems, synchronising with video or a poor video board. Sometimes it's even a poor or loose connection.
I've never heard of anything that loud "clicking" is the usual complaint; but I'm sure a few checks of wires, cables and connections should do the trick.
Oh, and remember George's mealtimes.

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I've noticed the same thing on my system..It's the strangest thing i tell ya..My puter is in my room and every 2 or 3 hours i'll hear a knocking sound in my monitor as well..I also run Windows XP Pro..Hmmmm..Me thinks they got the place bugged..

posted on Mar, 9 2003 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I asked George about it. It could be:

1 His pet has a hamster wheel in the monitor and sometimes falls out when exercising.

2 The screen could be automatically degausing ... maybe

3 The screen resolution could be at the extreme end of the ability of the machine to handle.

4 The graphics are not anchored on the webpage correctly and they are falling off. The clunk is the sound of the pic hitting the bottom of the screen leaving a white box with a red X in it behind.
This can happen if they are "pixel heavy". More help on that here..

[Edited on 10-3-2003 by Netchicken]

posted on Mar, 10 2003 @ 02:19 AM
link   
your refresh rate could be very high on your monitor. If it's too high it can fry your monitor. I dont recommend messing with it unless you know EXACTLY what your monitor refresh rate can handle. Also, how long is your monitor on when it start's doing this? try turning it fully off and starting it again. try testing screensavers to make sure they're even coming on. Cursed XP!!

posted on Mar, 10 2003 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Isn't it the sound ICQ makes when someone comes online?

Why hadn't someone said this earlier?
If it isn't this i have no idea

posted on Mar, 10 2003 @ 10:35 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 10 2003 @ 12:31 PM
link   
yahoo does it aswell or it could be a smal bug or virus type thing that hasbeen sent to you software engineers like maing other peoples comps make stupid iratating noises

new topics

top topics

join