It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senators propose granting president emergency Internet power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

A new U.S. Senate bill would grant the president far-reaching emergency powers to seize control of or even shut down portions of the Internet.

An Internet KILL SWITCH? This is ridiculous!!!

The legislation announced Thursday says that companies such as broadband providers, search engines, or software firms that the government selects "shall immediately comply with any emergency measure or action developed" by the Department of Homeland Security. Anyone failing to comply would be fined.

This is a different form of McCarthyism, but equally as retarded. What are they afraid of? People finding uncontaminated truth? That's terrorism. I truly thought the internet was the last resource for THE PEOPLE. Boo.

Link

AAC

[edit on 19-6-2010 by AnAbsoluteCreation]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
We will have to set up short wave radios again.
Been there, done that.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
It Also Depends on what Parts of the internet the president would be able to shut down.

any parts that include media sites, or online Industry, Video Games, banking, are all basically a pointless thing to do and if they get shutdown then you can be sure the Government is up to something that could breach your rights.

There is no reason to shut down certain parts of the internet, the Government does not own the internet. the government has to valid Reasoning to Target certain parts of the internet.

in my opinion it is acceptable to let the government shut down certain Sites that are Approved by Congress, that have nothing to do with the Above Factors (if not more)

either way, its still really pointless to shut down the internet. the internet is an idustry tool Used by Millions of People Doing Business.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I would like to hear examples from people on ATS that would justify shutting the internet down. Right now I am thinking subjectively on the topic and can't think of one.

AAC

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
This is the natual reactive state of the Federal Government. They have come to realize that old dying business models in regards to the press are the way of the past. Information can be disemminated in wide berths in an instant via the networks we call the Internet.

If you pay attention they will begin to push the reasoning that it is terrorism related in some shape or form. Since that fear tactic has worked before, it is the one they will impliment.

Just think about it: Senator A states that the Internet should not feel the effects of the heavy hand of the Feds. Senator B crys out that Senator A is soft on combating terrorism by allowing the Internet go unregulated and thus will lead to a disasterous attack upon the good people of America.

This, along with the FCC trying to dig its lurking tentacles into the Internet is a major power play to bring even more control to a Central Government. Control communication, you control the people.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
LoL. Who cares its all a conspiracy theory go back to sleep. We will never train military to confisgate weapons from U.S. citizens. The gov would never spend all your money, barrow on your name. Then demand you pay taxes to an immoral government to pay international bankers. Never!

We will never allow you to talk about how much we are destroying your way of life. The internet is to much freedom for you you need to go back to your job and get your weekly check and follow your wife around because she has you on a leash.

Who cares. Let them take it. Maybe you can send your women to complain to congress wile your leaders tell you how great it is to have foreign populations invade your country.

We will send 300k troops 3thousand miles away but will dare not send 100k troops on your own soil. To defend from invasion.

You people deserve everything that is happening to your freedoms.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TaxpayersUnleashed

You people deserve everything that is happening to your freedoms.

Why? Is it our fault we were born into a system that created a tightly niched web of control around us that taught those before us to believe in a system that is positive in theory yet scary in application?

Shall I lash out at the controllers and be labeled a terrorist? Or shall I wait till they ruin their own creation? Seems like they are doing a damn good job lately. You think the naysayers in Rome smiled when the # hit the fan?

I'm open for suggestions.

AAC

new topics

top topics

join