It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP must die!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
First off I'm niether activest or a lefty buuuuuttt OK I know that this has been said before but I have to say something..
I've been watching the news all day and know one showed up on the beach till just now(2 pm pac) the CEO is watching a yacht race the whole company has been what could be called gross negligence at least!!! Needs to die!!
Just being "FRANK"

[edit on 19-6-2010 by madhadder545]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Oh for heavens sake. The man was released of his duties on the oil leak. what is he supposed to do, stay home and cry all day?

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
The job of a CEO is to ensure regulatory compliance, intiate policy, and business stratefy, and to oversea (not manage) workflow and output. and to act as an accountable post holder. for such events, that's why they are paid so highly. to compensate the fact that take the fall for other peoples mistakes. which can lead them to personal ruin. this is the same in all companies.

if he were still doing the oversight job, what would you have him do. Stand on the edge of a ship looking into the water, or peering over the shoulder of the engineers watching then do their jobs whilst chewing his nails!!!!!!

Nothing he can do...

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Just Wondering
Oh for heavens sake. The man was released of his duties on the oil leak. what is he supposed to do, stay home and cry all day?

Well Obama played golf all day and no one is saying anything about that(except for Fox)!
It sounds to me like you are sick of this news..
Maybe you should not go to this board. Then you would be less angry

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by madhadder545

Well Obama played golf all day and no one is saying anything about that(except for Fox)!
It sounds to me like you are sick of this news..
Maybe you should not go to this board. Then you would be less angry

I am not in any fashion answering for @Just Wondering, but perhaps your perspective is different from at least a few others. I am not affiliated w/BP, not affiliated w/the oil industry, don't own any BP stock, not a Republican nor a Democrat - but I am a Libertarian. I am, however, employed by an industry and a sector within that industry that will be deeply hurt by the Gulf of Mexico BP oil disaster.

I find the emotional rants tiresome and entirely unhelpful. I've taken to calling them Emotional Masturbation.

The developed world *runs* on oil. There are several 10's of thousands of US jobs, many of them very high paying indeed [*far* more than my salary] and the communities with those jobs *depend* on those revenues for the economic viability of their communities. *Farmers* could not *feed* the *world* without the petroleum derived fertilizers. And, please, *spare* me the eco-tripe... there is NO WAY we could feed our over 6 Billion population using only organic means. Read up on the food crisis brought about by the exhaustion of the guano mines. The *entire* infrastructure of the devoloped world *runs* on oil or its products. Switching all of that infrastructure over to "green" energy will require *decades* and *trillions* of dollars.... that ain't gonna happen by *magic* *overnight*.

Yes, this *is* a *disaster* of *monumental* proportions, but instead of irrational emotions we should be seeking to understanding what went wrong and solutions to see that it doesn't happen again.

Solve the *infrastructure*, *food*, and *employment* issues and*THEN* you can whine and bitch and demand that "BP MUST DIE. Until then, your solution only *compounds* on a scale of many 10's of times the misery we are already experiencing.

[edit on 20/6/10 by Geeky_Bubbe]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Yeah, just let the US government take it over! Rename it Barack Petroleum, quick...someone find Obama and tell him to do this quick....I'm sure he is on a golf course somewhere.

Wonder if the government got into the oil business if we would still have the high gas taxes? Maybe some could get fuel stamps in addition to food stamps?

You can always tell if someone is under the influence of liberalism. They think with their heart.....not their head. Liberalism is the easiest decision anyone can make.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by madhadder545

We have some brilliant people on this web site. They honestly suggest that we should destroy a multi billion dollar company, just because they are annoyed that their greed for crude oil has encouraged a company to push the rules to the limit to make a profit on its investment.

And just what you would the company with? A Government owned company running oil exploration? Humm, let me thing about that for a moment. The same government that grants the rights to drill for oil.

If this company is guilty of breaking rules, then clearly it should be held accountable, but as was discussed on ATS Live night, if the company is pushed, it will just close its US operations, put thousands of Americans out of work, and by some clear rules, starting trading with the same assets but none of the debts.

It really is time we have some kind of intelligence test for having the privilege of posting on this site, and not just being able to think up a uers name and a password

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Freedom ERP

All I ment was that the amount of citations that BP have been "awarded" I dont understand why they are still in busines!!!!
I guess my title was a bit strong. For that I am sorry, but if this was the board of health, there would be no restaraunt.
I feel that that there is an air of sarcasim in the air. lets stop this please

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

I know pretty much absolutely nothing about oil drilling operations, though I am scrambling to garner at least a basic understanding. What I am about to say is in no way a defense of BP or their safety record, rather it's just a personal experience in an unrelated but heavily regulated field.

In a publicly traded company/corporation in the US we have to meet GAAP standards - Generally Accepted Accounting Practices. We also have to meet SOX standards - Sarbanes-Oxley. Every year I undergo several audits, one of which is an outside audit for SOX compliance. Fail a Sox audit and your company will be sanctioned by the SEC - Security & Exchange Commission.

In 2008 I underwent my annual outside SOX audit. The auditor suggested a different manner to calculate and report one of my crucial pieces of data. Given that he was the one telling me whether or not my procedures and data were compliant or not I instituted the change. In 2009 I again underwent my outside SOX audit and THAT auditor found the process and reportage "out of compliance" and I received a *fail* on that entire compliance test portion.

My point is to attempt to suggest that compliance violations can be very minor indeed, especially when it is the job of an inspector [or auditor] to *find* violations. It's sorta like proving that they are indeed a needed person - IOW: Job Justification.

Look for something and chances are pretty good you will find that something... even if you have to be a "bit creative."

Perhaps something to consider... perhaps not. As I said, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to the oil drilling industry.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I have to wonder when the Federal Government is going to start taking some of the responsibility for the spill?

Say I'm goofing off and cause a grass fire in my yard. When I go to put out the fire, a government official tells me that I can't use the 4 inch fire hose I have, I have to use a garden hose. While I'm trying to put out the fire with the garden hose, it spreads to the houses around me.

Yes, I am responsible for the fire, but when I was prevented from using the 4 inch hose, the Government has to accept some of the responsiby for the spread of the fire. It is the same with the spill.

The Government is actively working against the containment of the spill. The Coast Guard prevented 15 skimmer boats from working, while they pulled a so called "safety inspection" on them. The EPA and Army Corp of Engineers prevented local governments from creating sand berms even though they were supposed to be used in the event of a spill. The Government has refused help from other countries even though they have better equipment and more experience.

Yes BP caused the spill and should bear full responsibility for the spill, but the Federal Government needs to bear some of the responsibility for the lackluster efforts at containing and cleaning up the spill.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Because they are one of the leading oil exploration and refining companies in a world that needs vast amounts of processed crude oil to function.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
first line to make my second line smile
it is funny.... again

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Why doesn't anyone see whats going on here!! HOW MANY coincidences does it take before you put the puzzle together!!?

Goldman sachs, bank of america, chase bank, and other firms ALL ARE SHAREHOLDERS OF BP... all connected.

the economies of the world are falling apart and the people are starting to get pissed and get aware of the fact the BANKERS are causing this on PURPOSE...

isn't it obvious by now that the deepwater horizon 'spill' was a showcase of what these mother #ers will do if we try to stop them? isn't that obvious to anyone except for me?

we stand up to wall street... and they pull 1000 points out just to warn us... just saying 'DONT # WITH US' or this is whatll happen...

these people are too strong to stop and the more we stand up the worse they will stomp on us.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

I had hoped and expected he would have gone home and hung himself.

And, as I mentioned elsewhere (before people begin proclaiming this was not his fault): Who caused this and who is ultimately responsible does not need to be the same individual. The exec that decided to take shortcuts in the drilling of this well caused this, while the CEO is responsible for allowing it to happen.

Chop off both their heads to insure THEY can't do that ever again and to set an example! And then dismantle BP.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by Divinorumus]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I read on a thread here somewhere but sorry I can't find it now but the gist of it was this "If I pissed in the Queens Fountain I would be in jail in seconds and the environmental impact would be nil"
I don't see anyone in jail and I see a huge environmental impact here.
Come to think of it now it was the shrimp king from the gulf saying this.
Very good point indeed.
So the Fountain pisser is out on his Yacht, the shrimp man is out of work.
Good stuff, sure makes you wonder don't it?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Your argument is specious.

Your pissing in the fountain would be a *willful* act in known violation of law. BP's actions, egregious as they *may* prove to be were not conducted with the willful intent to cause the explosion. There is a *huge* difference.

In law, that is phrased: "Willfully and with malicious aforethought."

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
It is not my argument at all, I was quoting the shrimp king. Do you think if ever (I doubt) they find some sort of negligence that anyone even their dog goes to jail over this?
I don't mean to be knocking BP or their stellar safety record after all.
I was Just Wondering how the Yacht race went.
Regards.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Really??

Such profound logic leaves me.... completely underwhelmed.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Sorry to leave you so underwhelmed there but you see we have lived through something like this and still are enjoying the joys of a serious problem.
Let me suggest you Google " Sarnia River BLOB"
All said and done they paid a small fine, said the cleaned up the river and then packed up back to the USA.
Left us here with some really good drinking water and guess what?
Not a single person in jail or even probation.
This was a long long time ago and people are dying still and if you google Sarnia Reserve birth defects you will see some alarming numbers.
They are down river and get water from the "cleaned up river"
The blob was benzene......ring any bells?
The company rhymes with HOW.......
The situation here is/was major how you see it.
Down in the Gulf it is way past that and nobody is responsible?
Please just once for the people instead of the Corp would be nice.
Regards.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Geeky_Bubbe
Your pissing in the fountain would be a *willful* act ...

You don't think this gulf mess was a willful act? That thing didn't start leaking all on it's own you know. Humans WILLFULLY and INTENTIONALLY went out there and drilled a hole into mother Earth KNOWING full well what they were risking when they did so. If you end up with a bullet in your head playing Russian roulette, I'd call that willful too. If oil was meant for the humans to play with and enjoy, it would be up on the surface where we live and where apples and oranges grow.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join