It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GULF OF MEXICO OIL FLOW - Calculating erosion and how this will effect flow - Staggering results!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

GULF OF MEXICO OIL FLOW - Calculating erosion and how this will effect flow - Staggering results!!!

www.godlikeproductions.com

NTRODUCTION
My fellow neighbors of Earth, we are in a very bad situation. I don't doubt one minute you haven't heard of the Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill. Here I spent some time and researched specific variables to make these calculations possible. The hardness to resist scratching was tough but was found. These are scientific results that are very trust worthy. Every little detail has been considered to maintain accuracy and to prevent over shooting the real flow.

Lets keep it simple! Flow rate will be determined by the max a storm drain has been observed to flow, 5 meters a second.

Pres
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I found this info beyond anything I have read before.
If this information is correct or even close, we are in for a boat load of problems.
The website compares the hardness of different materials, the actual well casing and the surrounding rock. Then using the abrasive characteristics of the material presently gushing from the well head, the author calculates the life expectancy of the well casing and the surrounding material.
This is scary stuff.
This won't go away.
Or will it?
What are your thought?

www.godlikeproductions.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I have pointed out to her that the reservoir is estimated to contain 3-6 billion barrels so the flow rate would not continue indefinately, it would come to a halt at some point. Are 3-6 billion barrels enough to kill all the oceans off ?

Could the emptying out of the reservoir set of some sort of chain reaction with other reservoirs nearby ?

What would happen as the reservoir empties - seawater would get in through the ever widening hole so then what ?

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ccsct203

I can't view the link. I get an IP Banned page. Any chance that the ATS rules on quoting whole articles can be relaxed? I want to see this. Someone paste it here please.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
According to this site, there are 1,386,000,000 cubic kilometers of water in the ocean. Obviously that's an estimate, but let's go with it.

Converted to gallons on this site, that number comes out to be:
1,386,000,000 cubic kilometer = 366,142,464,570,000,000,000 gallon [US, liquid]

Using a calculator, the ratio of reservoir contents to water is a very small fraction: 3.7854117839833930956707221358178e-12

Now that I've quickly gone through the numbers, I find it pretty crazy that there's so much water out there. Wow.

Keep in mind that that ratio is representative of how the oil and water would be mixed if all of the water and all of the oil were evenly distributed. Who knows how long it would take for that to happen. It's safe to assume that the oil will be in concentrated patches where the ocean currents initially direct it and then it remains undisturbed enough to stay put, therefore changing the ratio so that it is not the same everywhere you go.

What I'd like to know now is at what point does the oil (and whatever else is coming out of the leak) and water mixture become toxic such that life can no longer survive in it?

EDIT: Fixed some wording.

[edit on 19-6-2010 by John_Q_Llama]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by John_Q_Llama

I think i read the other day that one quart will poison 250 gallons of water, so based on that there would have to be
3,661,424,645,700,000,000 gals of oil leaked into the ocean to totally kill the oceans of the world,

that is if i did the math right... just woke up so I'm not guaranteeing anything

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I havn't looked into this much so I'm just being lazy here, but this casing that is supposed to be eroding.

If the blowout didnt happen this same casing would have been used to bring the oil out ... so surely it is designed to take it ??

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

It's designed to hold a contained flowrate for a very long time, not an uncontrolled blow-out for this long. The forces at work on the inside of that pipe are hard to wrap your head around...put a 5K pound weight on a tiny rock onto a chunk of steel. Now make it go 30mph. Now do that 24/7 all over the steel for...what are we on, 70 days?

Yes my example is totally unscientific not using any exact measurements, but roughly it give the reader some idea of the forces at work.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ccsct203

I FLAGED this thread, because I feel that the changing flow rate due to errosion is VERY VERY important to the situation at hand.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

You are forgetting that they are now saying that the reservoirs actually fill up when emptied. They are also admitting that some oil GOM is not a result of organic decomposition.

new topics

top topics

join