It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are dissociative disorders and autoscopic experiences linked?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Are dissociative disorders and autoscopic experiences linked?

www.alecq.com

Where patients
with dissociative disorder feel a lack of connection between the self and body, an
OBE is an actual shift in the location of the sense of self. Ridder (2007) reports the
case of a 63 year old man, being treated for tinnitus that had previously never
experienced an OBE. He experienced OBE’s during his surgery when stimulation was
provided via electrodes over the TPJ. This is not an isolated case, however this case
and previous ones involve epileptic or tinnitus patients whom it has been suggested
suffer with dysrhythmic thalamocortical oscillations. This is of particu
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I have tinnitus, but the doctors said i have no hearing problems. That example with the 63 year old man that had surgery for tinnitus freaked me out. Do you know what alternate ways are there to stimulate the TPJ?
I would like to receive a "spiritual" answer about tinnitus.
And please read the link to source, it is only 7 pages to read

www.alecq.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
where i come from tinitus means something like, someone or somewhat tries to contact you, or tries to get through to you. who or what i dont know.
by the way, a hiccup means, someone is thinking about you.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

Where do you come from?

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
While i think this may very highly be a genuine association between these two categoric parameters,

it in no way should be used as a means of diminishing or devalidating people's unusual sensory/perceptual/experiential events.

I will offer only one cryptic speculation, displacement.

While i think OBEs may reflect actual & useful operations, i suspect it means you are in a state of ill-health or at a state of risk.

i fear this association/link will be like the term 'psychological' which is a euphemism for imagined/non-existent,
or 'mass hallucination' which is not even a scientifically demonstrated term,
yet it is bandied about cavalierly by non-scientists and many supposed 'scientists'.

[Use of] Language can often be one of the biggest barriers to comprehension & insight.

[edit on 19-6-2010 by slank]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by xspinx

Please click on the 2 websites I provided and read

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by xspinx

western europe

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I read though the PDF file.

I have a distinct impression that 'psychological' DISORDER is the 'explanation' of autoscopic experiences/perceptions.

'Professional Explainers': Oh, it's not real, it's all a 'psychological disorder',
it's safe everybody, you can turn off your intellectual inquiry, don't waste any more of your precious mental energy on 'THAT'.

It is the same psychological crap you get with UFOs.

Every tenth person has seen one, but they are all just hallucinations or
'mass hallucinating.

Give me a freaking break.

I am gay.

Most of my life i was either mentally ill or 'immoral' for it,
certainly it had no roots in organic biology. Oh, no, never that.

Until the 'professional association' decided it wasn't a psychological disorder or personal moral shortcoming.

More expertology crap trying to seek safe, contained 'explanations'.

If it is all 'psychological' then please explain to me the organic, biological, evolutionary reason why this would be notably persistent in current populations if it is all just a debilitation of rational cognitive function.

No, you don't have an answer?

Didn't think so.

[edit on 19-6-2010 by slank]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
My visual processes are caused by neurological responses when i 'see' a table, & there is no table in my eye,

so clearly 'seeing' things is ANOTHER psychological DISORDER.

Close your eyes folks. All those things you think you are seeing are not in your eye at all, you just imagined them.

Close your eyes & quit fantasizing that there is a world around you that you can see.

Damn i am bitter,

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by slank

"Close your eyes folks. All those things you think you are seeing are not in your eye at all, you just imagined them."

Indeed, they are not in your eye.... they are in your brain, the eye just receives the stimuli from the environment and sends the information back to the brain as nervous stimulus. The brain interprets the information, and if it interprets it wrong, than your brain is not functioning normal, not the eye. I do have a "spiritual" answer if you want it

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

......could you be more specific please
could you tell me the country please?
send me a U2U if you don't want people to see where you are from....i just want to do more research about that belief. Thx

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
where i come from tinitus means something like, someone or somewhat tries to contact you, or tries to get through to you. who or what i dont know.
by the way, a hiccup means, someone is thinking about you.

I have always thought that too. I just get it sometimes, very rarely, and the other explanation that I have heard is high blood pressure, but mine is on the low side of perfect 110/70. I always try to listen to it, but have never heard anything except the high pitch squeal, then it goes away. Always lived in Canada, but I used to read every paranormal book I could find, I think that is where I heard it.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by xspinx

There are a few non-invasive ways to stimulate the brain, but none of them are particularly feasible outside of a research setting. The first is transcranial magnetic stimulation, where powerful magnets are placed near the head, which causes that area of the brain to become active. The second method, which is similar to TMS, is Michael Persinger's "God Helmet," which gets its name from the fact that Dr. Persinger used it to stimulate a part of the left parietal lobe which then produced a "religious experience." This is further demonstrated by the fact that people who suffer from epilepsy in their left parietal lobe will sometimes describe having a religious experience.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Yes I believe every paranormal case can be linked to a disorder.
But... A disorder only tells that you are not normal. Normal is a matter of perspective.

So you will see areas of the brain used because they must be used to make us perceive the information. Right ? It would be weird if the brain goes blank when paranormal activity is happening. Still the brain is the machine to receive and decode the message.

Since we do not know and are on many occasions so arrogant to say we do know.

It does not take a scientists to understand that any disorder is a process of the brain.
We only say it is screwed up because we have decided it is not normal.

Who knows it is the next step in our evolution ???

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Might this high pitch tone that I hear, be just a sign for me to pay attention and listen to something important that i ignore?

new topics

top topics

join