It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Government supressing Hurricane Forecast Information?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I was just on weather.com looking for potential hurricane threats, weather radar, etc to see if anything is forming off the coast of Africa and headed towards the U.S. There is absolutely nothing on weather.com relating to the Atlantic. No radar, satellite pics; nothing, nada, zilch.

I then went to noaa.com. this is the only info being posted on the atlantic. granted there may not be anything happening, but in years past, there would be a daily update on what is happening in the Atlantic from a clean report to the benign to active waether reports. I follow hurricanes every year and have never had such a hard time finding current info even so early in the season.

check out this link www.nhc.noaa.gov...

Notice the low pressure area circled in the link. now look south east of this location and the trail of clouds streaming over from Africa. There is absolutely no info on this wave of energy. is there a blackout of information so as not to start a panic over the oil in the Gulf, or am I just getting paranoid like so many others are?

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
This is the site I use to moniter whether & when it's time to get outta dodge:

www.stormpulse.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by WashMoreFeet
This is the site I use to moniter whether & when it's time to get outta dodge:

www.stormpulse.com...

Nice site, but still pulls in NOAA info. No independent sources here.
Great look to it though. Thanks for the site. It is easier to look at.

[edit on 6/19/2010 by vtcajun]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Click on "Active Storms" under the Atlantic storm tracking map on their home page. You can also click on the TS Blas listed right on top of their home page.

NOAA Home Page

NOAA -Tropical Storm Blas info

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
You know...I looked the other day and had the same exact thought. Usually, it's all over the place at this time of year. I thought it was just me.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Is NOAA Trying to tell us something?

Look where the 1 (10%) is.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
A really good site to go to is Intellicast.com.

Saxony

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink
Click on "Active Storms" under the Atlantic storm tracking map on their home page. You can also click on the TS Blas listed right on top of their home page.

NOAA Home Page

NOAA -Tropical Storm Blas info

I know you can click on the active storms, but there is little to no information posted on the Atlantic side. No tracking of energy waves coming off the African continent nor any reference at all, plus a downplay of the low pressure system over Puerto Rico. Just seems odd. Normally we would be hearing of the energy wave coming off Africa with speculation of what it will form into and the direction it will take. They just aren't saying anything at all. I wonder if they will wait until the last minute to issue an evac order if something does pop up that will track into the Gulf.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by saxony

Not a bad site at all, WSI Corporation I see.

Well As soon as we find an independent source of Satellite images that aren't controlled by The NOAA then we can Solve the OP's question.

I still think there are good people in the NHC. If there is a Major Hurricane on approach I believe someone will get the news out by any means.

And the image I posted above may be a "tip off" to just that.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonathan0220
Is NOAA Trying to tell us something?

Look where the 1 (10%) is.

NOAA being a Govt funded entity is just saying,"trust us, we know what we are doing and there is the only slightest of chance this will impact our efforts to stop the BP leak before we are forced to evacuate the area".

I can understand trying not to panic the citizenry, but now is the time to start getting people off the coast.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by vtcajun

Good observations, S's+F

I agree with the downplaying you are mentioning.

I see it too.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I don't see the "energy wave" you are talking about (never heard of one either), just the usual sort of activity one sees in the ITZ. But here is another source.
www.bvipirate.com...

If you are a little more meteorlogically inclined you can get the full set of charts here.
www.fnmoc.navy.mil...

[edit on 6/19/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I think second guessing the weather forecasters is probably not too smart. I did it the other day after seeing what I thought was something developing in the SW Gulf. Of course it was nothing. I think I learned that the professionals are professionals and we are not.

My favorite tropical weather site is Bear Paws Weather (google it)

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage, since this is my first thread, it is an honor to have you comment. thanks for the navy site. Interesting loop.

Towards the end of the loop there is a wave that skirted across northern venezuela and started to compact after emerging into the Gulf just below SW part of Cuba. The loop also places a black marker around it.
Wave after wave of energy coming off Africa across northern part of Venezuela and southern Caribbean being pulled up from the equatorial region.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by vtcajun

Tropical waves are not really waves of "energy". They are low pressure troughs which are generated in the intertropical convergence zone (ITZ) and carried westward by the prevailing wind. Because they form in this region they are warm and moist.

As with any low pressure system they can develop into storms, including hurricanes. It takes the right combination of conditions. Not all of them do, nor are do all hurricanes originate from tropical waves.

top topics

join