It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taliban claim downing NATO drone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Taliban claim downing NATO drone

www.presstv.ir

Taliban militants have claimed responsibility for shooting down a NATO drone in Afghanistan's western Herat province, contradicting an earlier NATO account.

Taliban militants issued a statement on a website on Saturday and alleged that is was their fire that brought the aircraft down, a Press TV correspondent reported.

Afghan officials say they have found the wreckage of the US drone in the area, in which the Taliban is active.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Was the NYT story on Afghan minerals sincere or Pentagon PR?

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Of course the US is denying it. Every time an aircraft crashes, the US denies that it was the result of enemy actions. I have a hard time believing this. I'm sure some crashes are the result of technical problems but I'm extremely doubtful that all crashes are the result of technical issues.

In fact, I have reason to believe that the war isn't going nearly nearly as well as we are lead to believe. Take for instance the US abandoning outposts. When an outpost in Afghanistan is over-run, the Us seems to abandon these outposts and then they claim that they had been planning on abandoning before the attack. To the trained eye of a military tactician, this is clearly losing ground.

Now, I don't think the US is losing or being badly beaten, I just think the negative details are being kept away from the American people as to prevent popular support for the war declining faster than it already is.

The American people should take note on how the Taliban succeeded in downing this drone, because soon, drones will be flying over our own country and they will be used against our own people.

--airspoon

www.presstv.ir

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Dude, I'm as American as they come. What have you ever done for your country? Supporting your country and supporting your government are two completely different things, though at times I do support the actions of my government depending on what they are. There is nothing anti-American in the OP, maybe you should try to deny ignorance for once. In fact, it is anti-American to propagate lies that go against the interest of Americans. America is her people, not her government.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Fairly cheap junk, at least compared to say real piloted aircraft. They do their job. They don't complain. They don't go to sick call. They don't spend all their time on profile.

They don't die, they just multiply.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Good after all these drones have been killing innocent civilians and be deserved to be shot down

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
What have you ever done for your country?

Wing commander 411th flight test squadron, Materials Command, Edwards AFB.
Flight Surgeon for same. Member of Club Huron. Ret know, you?
There are both better and bad elements of any war.
Drones are the preferred surveillance vehicle. I would rather have one fall out of the sky, than a pilot. But you glorify the supposed achievement of the enemy. And your being patriotic?

[edit on 19-6-2010 by Violater1]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

Drones are the preferred surveillance vehicle. I would rather have one fall out of the sky, than a pilot. But you glorify the supposed achievement of the enemy. And your being patriotic?

What is the proof?
What are you proud of?
Where did you fight ?
If you fought any war that is,,,

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by chaosinorder
What is the proof?
What are you proud of?
Where did you fight ?
If you fought any war that is,,,

I'll be at the Fall 2011 Air Show at Edwards AFB.
Just come to the 1600 gate and ask for me.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Would be ironic if they used some of the stingers that the u.s gave them back in the 80s to bring it down. Or they did it the same way they downed soviet helicopters in the 80s..

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

I didn't glorify the shooting down of the drone, nor the un/der/reported progress made by the Taliban. I'm just telling it like it is because the government and MSM fails to do so. Furthermore, the Taliban didn't initiate force against my country nor did they ever threaten the security of my country, my way of life, myself or my neighbors. Reporting facts and telling the truth is hardly glorifying the enemy or even anti-American and many would argue and rightly so, that your way of thinking is anti-American.

There was this document called the Constitution, the document that we swore an oath to. Do you remember that document? That document is America. The Constitution is the binding of this all-powerful idea. To go against the Constitution is to go against America. Military drones in our own skies, on real-world missions, is against the Constitution. In fact, the policies of our politicians, are against the Constitution. Are you serving the politicians and their corporate backers or are you serving the Constitution and America?

There is at this time a debate within the ranks of the military regarding their oath. Some mistakenly believe they must follow any order the President issues. But you can rest assured that many others in the military do understand that their loyalty is to the Constitution, and understand what that means.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: www.oathkeepers.org...

Please watch the whole thing through:

Stwerat Rhodes exlpains Oath Keepers:

Ron Paul, Constitutional champion, defends Oath Keepers:

"If you, the American people, are forced to once again fight for your liberty in another American Revolution, you will not be alone. We will stand with you." --Heros & Patriots of Oath Keepers

Being pro-American is not letting this situation escalate into another American revolution. Without the proper information, the American people can not make informed decisions or choices. It is the duty of American to stay vigilant and use the 1st Amendment - or whatever is left of it - to inform their fellow countrymen of what is going on, as to give them the information so they may make informed decisions. Are you going to stay quiet and allow our freedoms and liberties to deteriorate or are you going to call out violations of the Constitution and educate your fellow Americans to the situation staring us in the face, as to prevent the hijacking of our country and the degradation of our Constitution by forces who find our freedoms and liberties to be an obstacle. Now is the time to serve your country, irregardless of how you serve your politicians.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

When an outpost in Afghanistan is over-run, the Us seems to abandon these outposts and then they claim that they had been planning on abandoning before the attack. To the trained eye of a military tactician, this is clearly losing ground.
www.presstv.ir

You mean the one that was surrounded by mountains on all sides? Rule #1 in warfare - take the highground.

Second line.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by crisko

That's not always the case, at least for the technology that we now have. However, many outposts being abonded, are on the high-ground. In fact, with some of these outposts, we are retreating from the entire area, pretty much giving whole region back to our opponents.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
This is where I disagree with you. By stating this,"

In fact, I have reason to believe that the war isn't going nearly nearly as well as we are lead to believe. Take for instance the US abandoning outposts. When an outpost in Afghanistan is over-run, the Us seems to abandon these outposts and then they claim that they had been planning on abandoning before the attack. To the trained eye of a military tactician, this is clearly losing ground.
"

you bolster the enemy's resolve. You give them hope in defeating you.

My 3331 is an Oath of Office!
“I, (state your name), having been appointed a Lt Col. in the United States (branch of service), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the office upon which I am about to enter. So help me God

In a public forum, I would never let the enemy know of a weakness, division, or retreat.
Notice that The Oath of an Officer does not include any provision to obey orders! Officers in the service of the United States are bound by this oath to disobey any order that violates the Constitution of the United States.
Am I clear on this soldier!

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
How exactly would the Taliban have shot it down? If they're using some sort of mobile anti-air platform, then it's likely they'll have to pack up their bags and move before the military sweeps the area to find their base.

[edit on 19-6-2010 by Quinctilius Varus]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

First of all, I'm not your soldier and second, I'm very familiar with the oath that officers take, which is the one that I was mainly speaking of. The oath for enlisted, I believe, has a clause about obeying the orders of the president and the officers appointed over them, in accordance with law, though the oath itself is to the Constitution, not the President or any officers commissioned by Congress. Irregardless of which ever oath one takes for public service, whether it be for the military, LEA or another agency or department, it is to the Constitution, not to any politician or other interest.

Moving along, the Freedom of the Press in our 1st Amendment of the Constitution, trumps anything not covered or against the Constitution. This thread in no way was bolstering the *enemy, as they too know what's going on. Unfortunately, the American people don't. Besides, the Taliban has never done anything unwarranted to my country, myself or my neighbors and therefore, aren't my enemy. I'm not going to ignore something and allow my fellow Americans to stay in the dark for some misperception of "bolstering" the enemy, in accordance with the law of course.

This war is not the people's war and is not sanctioned by the Constitution, rather it is a war of greed for corporate and political interests, at the expense of the American people. The American people have a right to not be duped or mislead into supporting it. This is American labor, wealth, lives and health that is paying for this war, so the American people deserve the right to be informed on the progress and hold people accountable accordingly. The government is supposed to be for the people, of the people and by the people, yet the government has overgrown its mandate, treating the people as subjects. How can a government be of the people, for the people and by the people, if said government lies to these people for some benefit not pertaining to the people? There is no justification for keeping people in the dark, because if they are in the dark, they can not make informed decisions and if the government is by, for and of the people, then the people need to make informed decisions on everything the government does. Liberty is far more important than security, though the likes of Hitler and Stalin would say otherwise, as both of these tyrants did the same thing to their subjects, as our current government is doing to us. Of course the uniformed people of those countries bought it all up, as apparently you have too.

"Whoever shall trade a little liberty for a little security, deserves neither and will lose both" -- Ben Franklin

Furthermore, it is a news article, not a secret document... Simmer down, relax and give gratitude that so many lives have been sacrificed for the liberties spelled out in our Constitution, by at least demanding that it not be ignored or derailed for a false perception of security.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   

First of all, I'm not your soldier.

Correct, I would never have any one weak of character, in my squadron.
I apologize for for giving you an indulgence.

"give gratitude that so many lives have been sacrificed for the liberties spelled out in our Constitution."

Lastly, again, you error, and wrongly accuse me of not being grateful for the fallen heroes of The United States of America Military.
May G_D rest their souls.
And May G_D Bless the USA.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by Violater1]

new topics

top topics

join