It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: U.S., Israeli warships cross Suez Canal toward Red Sea

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mobiusmale
reply to post by Master Shen long

Hi there Master:

So, again, exactly how many kids have starved to death in Gaza since the blockade began?

Please give us a number, and quote your source(s).

I am not claiming (as per my previous post) that Israel has not gone too far in its blockade...in terms of the restrictions of types of goods embargoed.

But please support your idea that kids in Gaza have starved to death as a result...

First, I'll say this. Starvation doesn't always equate to death.

Second, I'll say read this for a bit more perspective.

Just how hungry is Gaza?

MBF

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
First, I don't think I would call Israel a turd. I personally would not want to mess with them. You know, they could be carrying the US fleet down there to show the US how to handle the Somali pirates. Or they may have just decided to take the fight to Iran.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by MBF

read my reply
on how i respectfully call them

has for the word turd ..
this is what israel think of the gazan people
like the 1 jew is worth 1000 gazan
i have read on many israelis site .. they call the gazan people worst then turd
and if somebody call israel something then its a big deal
but israel can continu the fear & hatred way
like yoda once said
FEAR is a path to the dark side

israel FEARS more death then hell ...
wonder why ? ... they are afraid of the lord judgment on them
well they should be afraid ...

[edit on 19-6-2010 by Ben81]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
It's either one of the following.

- Stop, search and/or sink the Iranian aid ships.
- Enforce the blockade on Iran/search their ships.

Either way, it's bad and Iran won't stand by.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

You think this had anything to do with the aid ships? :shk: These would have had orders to move long before Iran said it was going to send aid.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
The suez canal was designed by Western powers and built fair and square with Egyptian slave labor. If Egypt blocks it's use, it can be occupied again if necessary.

I wonder when people will wake up and realize that we are at war with a fanatical Muslim cult. They have no mercy on their victims, we should act accordingly.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Chokepoints are narrow channels along widely used global sea routes. They are a critical part of global energy security due to the high volume of oil traded through their narrow straits. The Strait of Hormuz leading out of the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Malacca linking the Indian and Pacific Oceans are two of the world’s most strategic chokepoints. Other important passages include: Bab el-Mandab which connects the Arabian Sea with the Red Sea; the Panama Canal and the Panama Pipeline connecting the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans; the Suez Canal and the Sumed Pipeline linking the Red Sea and Mediterranean Sea; and the Turkish/Bosporus Straits joining the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea region to the Mediterranean Sea.

Source

China already pretty much told us that if we let anything clog the Straits of Hormuz chokepoint, that would be akin to us declaring war on them, no matter what the situation. Don't think for a minute that that doesn't go to our motivation in the Middle East daily. This fricking big ship maneuvering stuff is no small deal.

[edit on 19-6-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
We all know where this is going. There will be a small incident (All the Iranians both civilian and military get slaughtered and their ships sunk), we will then be told they were trying to sneak in a nuclear weapon to destroy the evil Israel.

The Islamic states will then freak the head and start chucking diet coke bottles fused with Mento's at the Israelis, while the Israelis shoot back with M16s, Apache gun ships, f16's, F14's, f-15's and of course the F22 Raptors', they did get the last special care package right? oh and if any of them turn those Mentos bombs into W.M.D Mentos bombs, Israel can always use the nuclear subs with the nuclear missiles to wipe them off the face of the planet.

This is all about creating a new civilisation. Within a year or so the world will have descended into total anarchy and then it will be, come now lets be friends and work together for love and peace. No need to fight there is plenty of food and water for everyone, just bend over and take the RFID charged anal probe so we can monitor and control your thoughts, behaviour and location.

We will take charge of educating your children, make you metro sexual so you are easier to control, just like wives used to be before we accidentally made them more masculine. Damn those birth control pills! Oh and did we tell you that you can live anywhere you want and have as much land as you want, (we retain all mineral rights, and you only lease the land) because there are only going to be 500,000,000 people on the planet.

Hitler what a waster, he wanted a few countries in Europe back that we stole from germany. If your going to do "lebensraum" then do it properly! Bend over world your about to get well and truly rooted!

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

Originally posted by mobiusmale

Hi there Master:

So, again, exactly how many kids have starved to death in Gaza since the blockade began?

Please give us a number, and quote your source(s).

I am not claiming (as per my previous post) that Israel has not gone too far in its blockade...in terms of the restrictions of types of goods embargoed.

But please support your idea that kids in Gaza have starved to death as a result...

First, I'll say this. Starvation doesn't always equate to death.

Second, I'll say read this for a bit more perspective.

Just how hungry is Gaza?

Most people don't realize this, but it is mentioned in the article you linked to that many people from Gaza had well paying jobs in Israel.

Ahmad Barakat's story is typical of Gaza. Before the blockade, he had a good job as an electrician in the Israeli town of Ramle which brought him GBP 1,000 a month, enough to build a new home and lead a good life.

Do you all really think that if Israeli's hated the Palestinians so much that they would let them work in Israel at all? Many Israeli's & Palestinians were friends and neighbors... Then Hamas took over and sent in suicide bombers to Israel. Do you really blame Israel for closing their border? I don't. And since the border has been closed how many suicide bombings have happened. Looks like it worked eh? Blame Hamas for the plight of the people in Gaza, not Israel.

A little background about my position on this - I'm an American that was recently living & working in Israel for about 2 years. We lived in Ashdod only 20 miles from Gaza where the average income was even less than the Gazan listed above... I was there at the height of the recent conflict in Gaza (late 2008) when there were more than 100 rockets a day being launched into Israel - Sorry, but I take it a little personal when terrorists try to kill me...

Israeli's are not the bloodthirsty people that many make them out to be - they are just like you and me and want to live in peace. The Hamas terrorist make that impossible.

Don't take this as blind support for Israel though, they do many things that bug the hell out of me and have extremists just like any other group that don't represent the majority...

Now back to the topic at hand, looks like there are three possible reasons for the warships crossing the Suez Canal:
1. Iran
2. Somali pirates
3. North Korea

Since this group included an Israel ship, I say the most likely reason is Iran, unless they were just tagging along for a little extra protection by the US ships...
I wonder if the mainstream US media will report/speculate on this.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by theregonnakillme

More like we all know where this has been TRYING to go since before 9/11 even, when the neocons tried to talk Bill Clinton into starting with Iraq and Iran. The path of the countries someone needs to control to control the water, gas, and oil pipelines to India and China has been clear for a very long time. Why do you think the Russians were in Afghanistan. Why do you think Condie Rice was in the Baby-stans mucking things up in the midst of Katrina. Why do you think Pakistan was so involved in 9/11 and has nukes? Why do you think China threatened us? It's a total a war for domination and control of these pipelines. And it has been for a very long time.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by CommandoJoe

Yeah, but that's really only a select few, eh? The elite so to speak. And a lot of the fresh food they do get is smuggled in through underground channels too. It's not as black and white as many think. Neither side is an angel. However one of the devils is far better armed and funded and supported. And heard.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

.. It's not as black and white as many think. Neither side is an angel. However one of the devils is far better armed and funded and supported. And heard.

True, but if someone is trying to kill your people with unguided rockets, do you then shoot back with the same type of unguided rockets? No, you use the advanced weapons at your disposal. Maybe they should teach their children to hate the Palestinians, strap bombs to them and send them into Gaza? As someone said earlier, if you go into a fight with proportional force you run the risk of getting your ass kicked - or something along those lines..

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I don't think there's a person alive who can say who started this whole mess with much authority. Those unguided rockets have, I believe, have killed very few people in Israel. They knew what they were going to be up against when then took that land. And I know that the body counts in Gaza and Lebanon far exceed that. The responses of Israel in that region (Gaza, Lebanon) to me has been as disproportionate as the U.S.'s response to 9/11 in Iraq and Afghanistan.

In my eyes, just to be clear, both sides employ terroristic methods. And I don't side with terrorists, well armed or not, and I certainly don't support supporting either side with my tax dollars either.

And my final disappointment is that the leaders of the Middle East really don't stand up and fix this mess in their region themselves. They seem intimidated or as if they just don't care.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Reading directly from the source we have twelve plus "warships" plus one or more Isreali ship crossed the Suez Canal...

Eyewitnesses reported the US ships to be "battleships". I have no idea how qualified the eyewitnesses were anyway. The could have been a bunch of 5 year olds at that.

www.haaretz.com...

More than twelve United States Naval warships and at least one Israeli ship crossed the Suez Canal towards the Red Sea on Friday, British Arabic Language newspaper Al-Quds Al-Arabi reported Saturday.

According to eyewitnesses, the U.S. battleships were the largest to have crossed the Canal in many years, Al-Quds reported.

The Isreali ship may be on a different mission than the US once. Just going through the Canal at the same time for the added protection if needed.

Only time will tell how this plays out.

[edit because editing is fun on 19-6-2010 by Sanity Lost]

[edit on 19-6-2010 by Sanity Lost]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

This was a well reasoned and thoughtful post and though I have nothing to add to the discussion I thought a little recognition of a diplomatic post was warranted.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Proportional response perpetuates wars, overwhelming response perpetuates peace.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Freaky double

[edit on 19-6-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Well if it's about to kick off with Iran it's been a long time coming. The only good thing I can say about Obama, is that if anyone else had got into power I suspect the US would already be at war. Hillary for example, although she bowed out, she properly hates Iranians, and I suspect she is a sociopath.

Then again it could be said that all Obama has succeeded in doing is delaying this conflict, and therefore giving Iran and their allies more time to prepare. Thus resulting in more casualties all round. I hope it is some sort of Somalian pirate drill as mentioned above. But this coupled with Saudi airspace, and the reports of US aircraft carriers hanging around, make for scary times indeed.

[edit on 19-6-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
They may be trying out the use of UAVs against Somali pirates. I can't think of any other reason to send a carrier strike group after them - too slow and bulky.

Most likely this has to do with enforcing the UN sanctions against Iran. Which is an issue that has massive potential to start a full scale war - more than anything else that's gone on in recent weeks.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
No Big Deal. Really. This happens every six months or so like clockwork. The Harry S Truman, CVN-75 and its entire strike group, about a dozen ships is headed for the 5th fleet area of operations to relieve the Dwight D Eisenhower, CVN-69.

There is ALWAYS, repeat, ALWAYS a Carrier Strike Group and an Amphibious Ready Group/Marine Expeditionary Group (MEG) on station near the Red Sea. They need relieved every few months. East Coast based carriers nearly always traverse the Suez Canal to go on station. West Coast carriers usually come from the other direction.

A Carrier Strike Group is composed on a carrier plus several support ships including several Arleigh-Burke class destroyers, at least one Cruiser (which these days is really just a slightly larger destroyer), a fast combat support ship for supplies, and a fast attack submarine. This configuration uses the coordinated Aegis defense system basically to protect the carrier.

MEG is basically Marines with helicopters and and amphibious vessels based on an LHA or LHD, which is basically a carrier for choppers. They are a little smaller than the CVNs (60,000 or so tons instead of 100,000) They are capable of making a ground assault like on Iwo Jima. Once again, there is always one of these with support ships in the Fifth Fleet Area of Responsibility (AOR).

Just wait. In a few days the Eisenhower will be headed home. The only time you need to be concerned about this kind of ship movement is if three carrier strike groups are in the same place at the same time. That is significant and worth your consideration.

This is not.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join