It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grizzly Bear Kills Man Outside Yellowstone National Park

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by draevin

There are risks of animals defending their territory, etc, but this guy didn't "deserve" to die because he was simply there.

Oh! So what should the bear do then, instead of killing the human?

Maybe the bear should of offer a picnic basket to the humans? Maybe they can goto a nudist colony... so they can bear all.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by gordonwest

No one is saying the bear was wrong to defend itself or it's territory or whatever it was doing when it killed the man.

The man, however, was not at fault for the bear attacking him either.

This guy should have stayed out of the park because a bear might kill him? No.

There are no accounts of this man provoking the bear - so until there is any way of saying otherwise, he did not deserve to die simply because he was in the park.

However - he did take a slight risk (bears don't make a habit of killing people, that is why this is even a news article), and he happened upon a bear that was probably in distress. Not the hikers fault, nor did he "have it coming."

[edit on 19-6-2010 by draevin]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Just last week a hiker in Alaska was set upon by a bear. He survived having shot the bear dead.

You're walkin into wilderness. Just because there's a little trail in the ground doesn't mean it's all milk and honey around you.

If you live in an area with bear or cougars or even lynx and bobcat you should at least be carrying some chemical deterrent in your hand or a big stick if nothing else.

You wouldn't walk down some mugging prone street without something to defend yourself so why would you walk into the wilderness without something?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

How many hikers don't get mauled by bears?

The difference in walking down a mugging prone street to wilderness, is that wild animals don't go looking for humans to attack.

Should a person take precautions? Absolutely.

Should a person stay out of the forest in fear of the big bad wolf? No.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Reply to post by draevin

Which is what I said. Only a fool or urban dependent drone would fear the outside world or avoid nature.

As only a fool would wander into the wilderness with flip flops and a bottle of vitamin water and an iPod.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
This man was out enjoying the day, he probably didn't see the bear there, unless he did see it and walked up to it wondering why it was just laying there.

The bear was either just coming to or still some what hung over from being tranquilized, which may of caused it to become aggressive due to going through the process of being studied. I haven't looked it up yet whether or not this could cause a bear or any animal to get ticked off and become aggressive, maybe no study has been done on this, does tranquilizing animals cause them to be more aggressive when first coming out of it when the drug wears off?

If bears or any animal do become aggressive after the drug wears off or even if they don't, researchers still should warn the public in the general area of the study(especially property owners) that they will be conduction animal studies and to be on the look out and use caution in the area. I know they probably don't want to cause to much attention to their studies in the field which may bring in unwelcome activists trying to interfere with the research. However a simple warning like this before hand may of saved a life.

[edit on 19-6-2010 by InvisibleObserver]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Common sense says...

1. If I swim in the Ocean and get eaten by a shark it is a risk I was willing to take.

2. If I go for a walk in the woods and get eaten by a bear it is a risk I was willing to take.

It is not the animals fault I decided to enter its hunting ground and I lost. It is as simple as that.

Now having said that if I am shopping at the mall and I get eaten by a shark or bear it is clearly not my fault unless I am wearing clothes made of raw meat. In that case, I was asking for it!

The man eaten by the bear is a tragedy I will give you that but hardly a surprise really. Wild animals to that kind of stuff you, THEY ARE WILD ANIMALS!!!

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I found a video of the incident.

*WARNING* It ain't pretty-

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Wha??? U dont have to be a hippie to have compassion for what this guy went thru or how his wife is. I think anyone who hikes in any woods knows that theres a danger, especially in Yellowstone. I think the big signs that say 'Dont feed the bears' gives it away. Nobody here is surprised it happened or hating on the bear. It's showing concern for a fellow human being, sounds like u need to practice at it.
On another note, when I hike the mountains I carry a repellent and a knife. I always go with someone else as well, theyre the fodder!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Demetre

Wha??? U dont have to be a hippie to have compassion for what this guy went thru or how his wife is. I think anyone who hikes in any woods knows that theres a danger, especially in Yellowstone. I think the big signs that say 'Dont feed the bears' gives it away. Nobody here is surprised it happened or hating on the bear. It's showing concern for a fellow human being, sounds like u need to practice at it.
On another note, when I hike the mountains I carry a repellent and a knife. I always go with someone else as well, theyre the fodder!

I should show love and concern to ALL humans, No! Maybe you did not read all of my posts to understand about the posts I wrote. I have never_said that the hiker is stupid for hiking in the woods. Why do you carry a repellent and a knife when you do hike in the mountains? You_know_your_self about the dangers of hiking in the woods. Quote:"I think anyone who hikes in any woods knows that theres a danger, especially in Yellowstone. I think the big signs that say 'Dont feed the bears' gives it away." Yeah, that is my point. It is a danger to enter into a wild area.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleObserver

Grizzly Bear Kills Man Outside Yellowstone National Park

www.foxnews.com

CHEYENNE, Wyoming -- A grizzly bear killed a man outside Yellowstone National Park, apparently just hours after researchers trapped and tranquilized the animal.

The attack happened Thursday in the same place where two researchers with the Interagency Grizzly Bear Study Team had examined a large adult male grizzly earlier that day, Park County Sheriff Scott Steward said Friday.

The suspect bear was wearing a radio collar. Authorities didn't intend to venture into the woods to chase the animal, however.

They hoped to trap it -- again -- and do DNA testing to see if it was indeed respon
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com
www.google.com

I don't know what I'd do if a bear was about to attack me. I'd probably scream and hope it'd scare it away and run. Of course I doubt anything like that would actually help.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
If you see a bear just do him like this

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Well, there is a reason they tell you to be aware of your surroundings and don't approach a wild animal.

These things happen, wild animals can be dangerous, a bear that has been tranquilized when they wake up aren't going to be in the best of moods.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
There's one solid rule for hiking in bear country.

.44 Magnum

One of the few really effective deterrents to becoming bear food.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
EVERYBODY SING ALONG.....

"If you go out in the woods today
You're sure of a big surprise.
If you go out in the woods today
You'd better go in disguise.

For every bear that ever there was
Will gather there for certain, because
Today's the day the teddy bears have their picnic."

The bear was tagged, so they hunted it down and killed it. In my opinion that would be a crime. They are not "Teddy Bears", they are very skilled wild animals that depend on meat to survive.

So long Mr. Evert, RIP. My condolences to your family.
But I hope the bruin had a good last meal on you before the execution.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

EVERYBODY SING ALONG.....

"If you go out in the woods today
You're sure of a big surprise.
If you go out in the woods today
You'd better go in disguise.

For every bear that ever there was
Will gather there for certain, because
Today's the day the teddy bears have their picnic."

You mean the politicians from Congress?

Because it does seem like it, the situation with Congress fits in WITH Congress and that with the SING ALONG post.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by gordonwest]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT ???

Congress has nothing to do with a human being killed by a bear.

A grizzly will just kill and eat you, but the US Congress is kind enough to screw you first, and if you're lucky you get a reach around.

For the Mods.........
I'll tag myself with a "warn".

top topics

<< 1   >>

join