It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subconsciousness.. Act of God or Human intention

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
So i don't have too much experience at this, but i do enjoy the debate of consciousness and it's true play in our reality. Here goes.

Before i delve into the idea of the subconscious i would like to first try to understand what consciousness is in the first place. I am no scholar and i don't know the truth behind our drive and what causes us to be; Thus i will ask what is consciousness? Why is conscious attention so necessary for some beings? I say beings because it's not just people that crave attention, but every other "tamed" animal. Most beings will do anything for another person's conscious "spotlight" to shine on them, and them alone.

What is so special about someone's attention?
Why is it that when someone looks at you when you aren't even paying them any attention, but as soon as they focus their consciousness on you somehow you become "aware" and glance in the direction without reason only to find them looking at you.

Carl G Jung had alot of valid ideas when it came to the consciousness. I can't express all of them here so i hope people will follow up and come to their "individuation" process and realize half of their true potential. And i say half because the beginning of the process is understanding the duality in human nature. The first step is realizing your anima/animus. Like most psychiatrists say," you must first admit you have a problem." Not that our dual "persona's" are a problem, but the repression of certain feelings from a persona can cause a neurosis to arise. Jung was a huge proponent of the unconsciousness bringing about changes in the waking consciousness.

Jung's theory of neurosis is based on the premise of a self-regulating psyche composed of tensions between opposing attitudes of the ego and the unconscious. A neurosis is a significant unresolved tension between these contending attitudes.

en.wikipedia.org...

So here's a statement that may ring true with some people and not some much with other. Positivity and negativity are both parts of our reality(0's, 1's) so they both play their part equally. Jung talked about a shadow side of every person that could get darker and more likely to arise in a physical manifestation if left unattended. We are in a system that requires balance. If you become too one sided you have the counterbalance on the other side and according to Jung that's a universal law.
psychology.suite101.com...

Because i am doing this on a whim and haven't sufficiently sourced my documentation( because it is mostly from books i have read of his), it is very rudimentary. And truthfully I am quote a few beers into this thread.=)

The true question I want to ask is this. Is our subconscious the true "god" that so many religions talk about? Is it us that do the miracles or a being that is existential? Can our belief in the outcome really effect the events that take place?

"It has always been terrible to fall into the hands of a living god. Yahweh was no exception to this rule, and the Philistines, Edomites, Amorites, and the rest, who were outside the Yahweh experience, must certainly have found it exceedingly disagreeable. The Semitic experience of Allah was for a long time an extremely painful affair for the whole of Christendom. We who stand outside judge the Germans far too much as if they were responsible agents, but perhaps it would be nearer the truth to regard them also as victims."

As a medical student i have learned alot about the placebo effect and have seen it in many aspects of life. I will leave the rest of this up to you ATS. Why is consciousness so desirable to some and so seemingly unattainable to others? Why do some people go so far as to cause physical harm to themselves and others just to get attention?

I don't know any of these answers because nothing is known it is only thought. We need to rethink the way we do everything.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I notice noone else has responded to your thread but I also find the mysteries of consciousness interesting.

Consciousness may simply be the existence of some kind of pre-programmed life energy or "spark" within human beings that is simply not present in other life forms on earth. I speculate on this because of all the evidence that paranormal phenomenon is very real and proves that the intelligent hauntings involve:

a) Beings that appear to have the voices and physical appearance of their living bodies only in spirit form.

b) Remember details from when they were alive and will sometimes directly respond to specific questions that only they could know.

c) The capacity to interact with physical objects and make sounds to get people's attention. Not to mention possibly manipulate electromagnetic fields and electrical energy in general.

So that is one possibility. However, when you think about it there are also spirits of cats and other animals that have also been reported. Perhaps consciousness and life are symbiotic. I believe consciousness is everywhere in nature and possibly even connected somehow. Possibly at the subatomic level. This brings up all kinds of possibilities..

a) If everything was touching at the moment just before the big-bang, everything in the universe could be "linked" through the concept of quantum entanglement. In other words: Perhaps all life (energy) is linked at the subconscious level because it always has been and always will be. It may even be "pre-programmed" into our DNA somehow. This opens up all kinds of other doors too such as "novelty theory" and "timewave zero" which depicts novelty on a graph (Novelty, basically, representing the interconnectedness of all living things).

b) Certain undiscovered "fields" may exist, such as the zero point field, that are superimposed over our own. It is possible that somehow the energy of all living things plants is not only interconnected through this field but can communicate subconsciously or psychically with other life around it. In this case the energy of all forms of life in the universe would act as a transponder - constantly sending and recieving information from other lifeforms. And it might be possible for "intelligent" beings such as humans to hone this energy over time and have controllable psychic abilities and/or be able to do things like SRV (Scientific Remote Viewing) using their own life energy.

I can't remember where I read it but.. I remember seeing on the History channel about a university that conducted a study into chaos theory and discovered that even the most random events in our universe all follow and adhere to very precise mathematic principles. Thus, it is even possible that our brains are constantly processing said information subconsciously and giving us the "feeling" that something is going to happen because the brain understands the probability of said event taking place in our reality.

There is just so much that we don't understand about consciousness in general that it's completely open to scientific inquiry and experimentation. It's just that noone has really thought of a way to prove definitively what consciousness is.. If it is even possible to begin with.

I have a gut feeling that consciousness involves much more than just interconnected energy though. I have a feeling that our brains are constantly picking up on subconscious information around us when we don't even realize it and that some people, for whatever reason, have subconscious abilities that are just better at deciphering this information into something their conscious minds can understand. If people really understood how much information our brains are constantly processing (even just at the conscious level) they would be shocked. And we still don't have any idea what the other 85% of our brain is used for.

We know that brain sizes of animals in nature is not indicative of intelligence level nor is it indicative of that creature being consciously aware of its surroundings. This means that something is pre-programmed within our DNA to not only provide us with superior intelligence but that elusive human "spark" that represents an understanding and awareness of our universe and our place within it. Of coarse, it is possible that many other animals/creatures in nature really do have consciousness similar to our own when we don't realize it (Whales, dolphins, elephants, etc..).

If that is the case then it is proof that consciousness is not unique to humans but is possibly the end-result of evolution, maybe even the entire purpose for life existing in the first place.

In other words: Maybe life exists so that living beings can eventually gain an increasing level of conscious awareness so that over time the can comprehend/understand the universe and their place within it.. OR Maybe consciousness exists so that it can eventually understand the interconnectedness of all life in the universe. (Life existing to understand truth and purpose).

But, as always, there's the anthropic principle to think about and how it relates to consciousness and life in general.. (Which will have to be an entirely different post!).

-ChriS

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
You point out something interesting here.. It occurs not only in humans, but other animals as well, so definitely something coded in our DNA and/or part of the brain. I can't actually prove this, but I can say with 100% certainty that animals have subconscious dreams. (as I am typing this I am watching my dog having a doggie nightmare). No idea if that is a God thing, or just part of nature, but it definitely goes beyond human interaction.

join