It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Veichle Survival kit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I decided to post some pictures of my kits in my trunk.

Note my car also has a power inverter..ie I have a standard AC outlet that can be used to power 99% of household items. It is a Jensen 125W power inverter

Now mind you I have a lottttt of things in the crate and my pyrex container as you can see.

The plastic bin has:
-solar panels (5 watt), a few smaller ones
-solar AA charger
-rechargeable AA batteries
-recheargeable AAA batteries
-AC adapter for recheargeable batteries
-Fenix TK40 flashlight (runs on 8 AA batteries) - 630 lumens
-Pens/pencils, notepads (gonna get bored, take notes)
-miniature art kit with colored pencils and mini sharpener
-medicine handbook
-few medicines
-some string
-Gecko Edubook laptop computer that runs linux -$200, runs on 8 AA rechargeable batteries ...never know when to send email, check something if you happen to find a remote wifi signal
-personal hygiene stuff: soap, mini travel shampoo, travel size shaving cream, razor blades, toothbrush, toothpaste, tissue paper, hair gel (yes im conceited haha)
-mini ruler
-Knives (two, one folding bowie blade type, one butterfly)
-few butane lighters
-butane lighter refuel bottle
-trauma shears
-can opener
-multiple cell phone adapters, electrical adapters, universal usb connectors
-$10 digital camera (i think one of those cheap ones from CVS) - found it and thought it would be a neat addition to my set
-Some tools (my vehicle has a built in tool case for changing tire stuff like that)
-red Laser powered by 2 x AAA (note I can use my rechargeable AAA for this)
-Hand cranked flashlight that has radio and cell charger built in, plus a siren
-Inova X1 flashlight (1st gen) - 1 AA white led
-Inova X1 flashlight (1st gen) - 1 AA UV led
-the blue tarp (i use it to protect my vehicle carpeting haha)
-compass
-A few DVDs on knife sharpening and blade sharpening haha...yea I know
-small mini candle (for some heat and warming food)
-have a car jack (not in plastic bin)

the food pyrex container (need to add spoon, knife and fork to it)
-cheese snacks (the same kinds when you were in kindergarten)
-tobacco sauce (anything no matter how vile tasting can be made edible with this)
-Idaho potatoes (just add hot water)
-kit kat bar
-peanuts of various types

Outside in the back out of view of photo - Manchurian add hot water noodles (I use these daily because lunch at the cafeteria can be expensive, so i just grab two for lunch a lot sometimes). these are good because all you need is a source of hot water, and they last a long time and are like $0.29 at Walmart

Need: Basic First Aid kit, jumper cables, fix a flat type of thing, enameled cup to boil water in, thermos....just broke right now cant get these things right now lol

As you can see all my electrical devices function on AA or AAA batteries including my emergency laptop, and I have various methods to charge those batteries, either using my vehicle plug or solar...

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Thats a pretty impressive list. My portable somewhat survival kit is a black tactical bag with a gas mask, few knives, multitool, various types of ammunition, duct tape, gloves, some extra clothes, gun powder, 100 ft. of rope, some matches, flashlights, blanket, water, some beef jerky, a small special forces handbook, and other various things i don't remember. I am also seriously considering investing in an armor plate carrier with soft armor inserts included and possibly getting some steel and making homemade hard plates. You never know what you mite need.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Haha thanks. Yea I'm really not the confrontational type, but I know things could become like that, my vehicle is not anything anyone would consider a good car for a survival situation haha, its a 4 door silver sedan with black tinted windows, people never would expect me to have those type of things in my trunk.

I am more interested in food, logistics, communications types of things from a veichle standpoint, others such as yourself are more interested in defensive, militarizing your veichle. This is also good, but my car is not designed for heavy fighting and what not...I see it more so operating in "stealth mode" seeing radio communications, picking up emergency broadcasts and what have you. And when your car does break down you need to have a means to communicate, So I want to evnetually within a year or two have a complete radio system setup that will enable me to send email from my car without the use of an ISP.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I get what your sayingand in the event of a STHF situation i'm not gona go out looking for a fight, but you got to defend yourself. Also if you are interested my friend just told me that US Palm is selling a decent armor plate carrier with soft armor(kevlar) for just 199$. That is absolutly dirt cheap. Sorry if i sound like a salesman, but i'm just trying to help if you are interested.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by America?

Oh thanks, no problem, you have to defend yourself, that is the absolute truth. Oh thats fine about the kevlar plates and all, If i was driving in rough terrority I would put that on a truck type vehicle not my precious sedan lol, if i expecting to get shot up lol..thanks for the offer though, I'm just dirt broke right now...I'm eating add hot water noodles cant you see lol..

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Yeah i know how it is to be broke I'm running on my graduation money right now because i don't have a job.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Its all worth it. its gonna be ok. My car and my type is the last one people would expect me to be prepared to know what is going on ya know...I mean I wear a suit and stuff haha...its all about information warfare...if he looks like he doesn't have the stuff...he probably doesn't lol...I could never imagine being stuck in a SHTF survival situation because the limiting factor would be gasoline.

Speaking about gasoline did you know gasoline can be manufactured using the MTG process (methanol to gasoline) as pioneered by exxon. I have various research papers, books on this topic, all on my trusty areas hehe. I believe information can win battles much more so than bullets sometimes.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I've never heard of the MTG process. Are people not supposed to know about it?

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by America?

No, its not secret, its just technically hard, you need to have a supply of the zeolite ZSM-5 (engineered by exxon), but I have various papers and books on the topic of zeolites and such. You need also a steady supply of methanol and equipment, and engineering know how to run such an operation. Its just not feasibly but for people who are well off...I just like to keep this information...just in case you know...

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Mmm...tobacco sauce
To each his own I suppose. Anyhow here's a few more things I think you should add if possible:

Firearm and ammo
Blanket (preferably wool or emergency space blankets)
Rain poncho/ shelter half
Water bladder and filter
Wild edible plants guide
ruscksack to put it all in

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
if everybody would think like you guys, the possibility of a SHTF-situation will surely rise.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
if everybody would think like you guys, the possibility of a SHTF-situation will surely rise.

Hey what do yo mean by that, us being prepared for something makes us the perpetrator..dude I'm a health professional, I'm the last person who would start anything....although a few weeks ago there was a momentary power outage about an hour or two...which was pretty cool....i toook my laptop to my car and still was able to use everything hehe..

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Mmm...tobacco sauce
To each his own I suppose. Anyhow here's a few more things I think you should add if possible:

Oh Haha I meant Tobasco sauce...sorry typo..
2nd line

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Just one thing.....myself...the inverter...go to an RV or semi truck shop/truck stop chrome shop....get a real inverter...one that can go say 7500 watts peak and run 3500 constant.

I can run a small 110 volt wire feed welder, wife can run hair dryer...."I know" duhhh....not to mention an electric skillet, and/or a fry daddy.

Also used a small 110 volt pump....and a 50 foot garden hose to keep water source at camp..rather than continually returning to the river...for dish duties or potting water..

I switched from the plastic totes after a year or so of use...they seemed to dry rot, crack and get brittle, I now use old army surplus GI pack backs and duffles.

I also have an air compressor installed on my engine and a 10 gallon tank, good for tires, air tools, and cleaning in general, blows the water right off wet pants...and if creative using a small piece of steel brake line or fuel line it makes a rather lethal air gun of sorts...

But as far as thinking I need this for a SHTF sit...nahhh...its more of my life style, I live out in the woods, among, many 1000+ acre farms...so help is not always an easy thing to get or find.
Plus the old farmer thats broke down needing a quick weld fix...will tip you /pay you good to keep from calling a service truck from the nearest town.

ETA :::: I keep my spare tire full of fresh pottable water, I can drain it, and then air it up if needed...

ETA again::: I se lots of room for uhh how do I say it.....trimming some fat from your gear.
Just an example...can opener...to big...p-38..needle noes/wire cutter pliers...nahh... good leatherman...you get where I'm headed.

[edit on 19-6-2010 by Doc Holiday]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

Wow, impressive stuff. I was doing some reading about inverters and I read that If you need to go higher wattage's, that the terminals must be directly connected to the car battery instead of through the cigarette lighter. I was also worried about frying my electronics and such, I cant afford that otherwise I have means of transportation.

I would love to run all that stuff, I also have a 1500 watt portable electric stove, but my inverter wont put out the wattage as you can see. Yea its good that this is your lifestyle, I'm a city boy so haha, I'm no where near as experienced as you. Good stuff man

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

they come with a kit very easy to intall, circuit breaker, lots like in your house....it will trip if it shorts out, and it has an auto off if your battery gets below 11 volts...so I can runmine with the engine off, untill the inverter kicks off...and still have plenty of juice to start the truck.

But yes they hook directly to your battery, but are no more dangerous than a radio amp...much like the fosgate one/box in your pic...

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Holiday

they come with a kit very easy to intall, circuit breaker, lots like in your house....it will trip if it shorts out, and it has an auto off if your battery gets below 11 volts...so I can runmine with the engine off, untill the inverter kicks off...and still have plenty of juice to start the truck.

But yes they hook directly to your battery, but are no more dangerous than a radio amp...much like the fosgate one/box in your pic...

Oh nice nice, Its pretty cool cause my battery is in my trunk and it is very convenient access. I can have a power generation station in my trunk for heavy duty emergency things as well as a mini daily use 125W inverter on the driver side. Yea I guess I can look into this, the speakers I had professionally installed, Im so afraid to damage anything hehe.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I gave up on the small inverter "cig plug" style after getting my big inverter installed.

Just run one of those pwer strip outlet things with 6 plug ins on it to your console....

My total cvost/including install was just over $200 inverter was on sale for $150 or so...and I bought the wires from the local welder supply CO. after reading the gauge of wire needed to run ther inverter...the kit was like $99
after getting my stuff from the welding supply store I spent just under $40
Just make sure you buy the inline breaker.....local semi parts dealer will know what your after...about $20..

[edit on 19-6-2010 by Doc Holiday]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

No I'm saying for charging my laptop, road trips, cell phone charing, ipod charging my 125 W is sufficient for those needs as it is within access of me....but I dont feel comfortable running the power cord through the ski access area in my trunk all the way to the front hehe...I mean I could do that...but I dont want a power cord running from my trunk all the way to the front :-) I think I'll keep the big boys in the back for real emergencies..

Just saw some additional info you gave. I want the Leatherman Charge TTi, that is my dream tool...but I cant afford such a beauty right now hehe...as soon as that is done, I'm getting rid of the 97 cent can opener from wallmart hehe..

[edit on 19-6-2010 by THE_PROFESSIONAL]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

i didnt say you would start something, i mean the attitude towards the future.
like the saying: "becareful what you wish for". i am not saying you are wishing for something bad to happen, but maybe a disaster would be a welcome cheering up your boring life. no offense.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join