It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how to do a draft for very long post

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I want to do a very long post, it's several pages long, i would like to get it up and out before people can respond to it. Your help is appreciated

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by aboxoftrix

Well, I usually just bypass the word limit using a handy little trick I found...but I think others actually reserve post spots, knowing how many posts they'll need...basically just figure out how many posts you'll need to make based on the word limit...then after you make the first post...quickly make a few more posts saying something like "this spot is reserved for later use" or something like that...then just edit them as you go, until you have the whole thing posted in sequential order...

[edit on 18/6/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
This may sound incredibly simple but I write in MS Word, save it, then copy and paste...

Hope that helped

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Figure out your post limit - it will tell you at the bottom of your reply box - then draft your thread in word and break it up at the character limit - add "continued next post" at the bottom and than post them one after another onto ATS. If you are prepared, it's doubtful anyone will have the time to post a reply in between.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Yep, writing it in something like MS word is also handy. But I really made this post to say that new (not sure how new) avatar looks crazy (in a good way).

[edit on 18/6/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
This is the best way to do it.

Open up a new thread link and type up the first part of your post.

Go to any thread on ATS and open up the reply button in a new tab as many times as you need, each one for one extra post.

Fill in all your pages and once your done, post your main thread page and simply copy/paste what you've filled out in your other tabs into your thread by making new posts.

You can get a 5-10 part opening post up in less than 30 seconds.

[edit on 18/6/2010 by serbsta]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Ok thank you all for the help. I will use some of your ideas and try to make it work.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I agree with what everyone else said, and also,

if you write "continued in next post": mosts people will respectfully wait until your writings are done in their entirety.

I like to star and flag their OP while I'm waiting for them to finish their multiple posts.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Is this a proposal of your own thoughts? Or a copy and paste of an external source?

If it is your own work, I would suggest as the others (lots of good advice), to write it in Word and then copy/paste over into the thread in consecutive posts. And yes, add *continued in next post*

If it is from an external source, you can only copy and paste a small part and then add the link. As is noted at the bottom of every text box:

(This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page):
Please make sure every post matters.
Refrain from 1-line or very-minimal responses.
Edit-down your quoted posts to the important part.
Don't use "txting" shorthand in posts.
Use snippets and links for external content.
Provide meaningful comments for links, pictures, and videos.

Let me (or other staff) know if we can be of some help

[edit on June 20th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Easy for me.

Create a thread with the title and just reply to it however many times you need to fill the space and just put in the posts " reserved for 2nd post" and so on.

That's how I do it.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
All I do is find out how many posts I'll be using by starting a thread (but not posting) and finding out what will go into each post from the character space etc. then using copy and paste with Microsoft word

As I have them all planned out I just post my opening post and quickly hit reply and copy and paste the next post and so on...

Yu can get your entire post posted very quickly and leaving no time for anyone to reply (since assuming it's a long threads anyway) in between and subsequently messing up your posts.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
The best way I have found is, and believe me I have lost my share of fantastic posts, type in on ATS, copy and paste into word. I only use this if it is going to be a long post. Otherwise I just type and just copy in case I should lose it.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Always and I mean ALWAYS save your longer posts in a word document. Nothing is more frustrating than doing a lot of work and then losing your post.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Just an fyi.

A lot of times if you write something in Word and copy to the Web the formatting won't be the same and you will have a lot of symbols and numbers at the top. If you come across this problem, I would suggest using NotePad.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
That's right. Word can add a tremendous amount of junk, but, of course, its forte is its ability to format. So what I do is write the post in Word for all the good reasons stated here, including especially the risk of losing it mid-post if your connection snaps. Then "wash" your post through Notepad. It's just a select all, copy, paste into notepad, then another select all, copy & paste into ATS. It's very fast to do this in practice and very much worth the extra hassle of doing it.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Hello there!

I use this bbcode editor that helps with assembling long threads and topics.

BBcode Editor

I hope this helps you out.

new topics

top topics

join