It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

REAL ID going into effect; PASS ID next

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I came across this the other day.

Starting July 1, Delaware’s blue and gold drivers’ licenses will change from simple cards with basic information to high-tech pieces of plastic designed to be more secure and harder to forge than anything that’s come before.

The new identification cards are designed to comply with federal regulations formulated in the wake of the September 11 attacks and crafted to unify procedures and security measures that vary greatly from state to state.

Beginning in 2014, only identification cards designed to the federal standards will be accepted when boarding an airplane or entering a federal building, though no one will be forced to obtain a federally compliant ID.

Source

After reading this, and through the Delaware site I can see why they want to get the PASS ID through.

This version of the REAL ID is seemingly pointless. From what I can tell, they just want more proof when you apply for it. It doesn't have any biometrics, stored data, or RFID. It is a regular, perhaps more detailed printing, license. I don't know if other states are doing the same, but Delaware even allows those who don't want the 'REAL ID' version to obtain a 'regular' one which is only different in that it lacks a star and has the words 'Not for Federal Identification' line. I could see some cops using that to deem you suspicious or a trouble maker/non-conformist.

I am curious about how the regulation stating you will require a REAL ID to fly or enter a Federal building after 2014. First, how can they make it a requirement for domestic travel? I haven't seen the details of how it works, how kids are exempt (but can still be on a no-fly list), etc.

Second, if a person doesn't have one and gets called for jury duty, can they call in and say 'I can't go in because I don't have the id so take me off the list?' More reason not to have one!

I wouldn't have a problem getting one if I moved to Delaware, because they don't need anything but proof of who I am. However, if the PASS ID goes through and realizes all that the REAL ID failed to get them, hell no.

PASS ID would eliminate REAL ID requirements that are considered excessive, such as the obligation to verify birth certificates with the issuing department, and shared national databases. However, critics charge PASS ID will still require the storage of digital records of documents proving citizenship, such as birth certificates. It may also permit technology like RFID to be incorporated into drivers' licenses.

Wikipedia entry

RFID is a big no no for me. Also, having something act as a National ID.

More on PASS ID
GovTech
GovTrack

They say it may seem abandoned. I think they are really just waiting to sneak it into an emergency Gulf clean-up or defense bill like they did with the REAL ID.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by Wolf321]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I think something like this will be used as something to sterotype like you stated. It most likely will turn out if you don't have you are a terrorist.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
What is so bad about a National ID card? Why shouldn't we take more steps towards safety. FACT: terrorist want to destroy this country. FACT: Terrorist did 9/11 it was not an "inside job" or whatever you want to call it. I'm starting to think that the terrorist may have made these 9/11 and NWO conspiracies to keep us blind from the real enemy. I support the National ID card.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Just what AZ needs a counterfeit proof ID.

Then they pass a law that requires them for employment.

The illegals would not be able to get them and would not be able to get work.

Without work they would have to leave the state.
Problem solved even if the feds lawsuit over the AZ anti illegal is over turned.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Y2Zgt

Fact: a national id card won't do a damn thing to stop terrorists hell bent on destroying this country. Fact: a national id card, and even a state id card has no basis in law, and people are not mandated by law to possess any form of identification. Fact: why people have gone into agreement with id cards is because they have agreed to be licensed to drive, and because businesses have demanded identification in order to do business with people. Fact: People can simply swear a verified oath as to who they are and this is all they need in terms of identification. Fact: I don't need an id to know who the hell I am!

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
real ID scares me, its all part of the 666 sytem to enslave everyone

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Aren't you surprised Arizona didn't do your proposal in the first place?

Would have saved them a lot of time and money.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Y2Zgt

Fact: 9/11 hijackers came in legally so National ID card wouldn't have stopped them anyway IMO.

new topics

top topics

join