It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immigration sweep nets suburban residents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Immigration sweep nets suburban residents

www.dailyherald.com

A government sweep targeting illegal immigrants suspected of having ties to street gangs resulted in 26 arrests, including several suburban residents, this week.

Twenty-two of those arrested are gang members, said an ICE spokeswoman in a prepared statement, and most of them are Mexican nationals who face immigration charges and deportation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I wonder if Obama feels this raid operation is "misguided"? Especially since it's happening in his "hometown" of Chicago.

I also wonder how he's going to explain this to his little buddy Calderon.

But what I *really* want to know is how they pulled this off without any "racial profiling" that they constantly use to assail the new Arizona law. Most of them are Mexican nationals say the officials, so perhaps those illegals just volunteered up that information and turned themselves in?

www.dailyherald.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
S&F for the find

How fitting for this to be in his own backyard.

I wonder if he is going to sue Chicago now too.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wayne60

No kidding, I hope this story spreads around the other media outlets. It could mean major egg on the face for his stupid policy of pro-illegal invasion.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Soloist

Why cant they just set up road blocks and check everyone?
Dont they do that for DUI?
If they ask everyone for some proof of citizenship then there is no profiling going on.
I am not saying that its not irrelevant by now.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by RRokkyy]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Well it's about damn time they started doing something. They could be doing a way better job though, there should have been way more arrests. I don't know which gives us the biggest problem, the illegals, or the gangs. Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come, maybe they're gonna start cracking down on the illegals here.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

They won't do that in Chicago, Cook County has sanctuary status. The police here aren't allowed to ask for proof of citizenship.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I think it is important to point out that the article makes the comment "surburban residents" as if they are somehow "above" being netted for being illegal and/or ties to drug cartels.

I often see people on ATS trying to make illegal immigration a racist or social class witch hunt.

I would like to make it clear, as a proponent of the crackdown on illegal immigrants, that I care not one bit what part of town they come from and that nobody should be above the law -- whether they live in surburbia or not.

Don't let the media convince you this is a racist movement, for many of us [most of us] it most surely is not.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by lpowell0627]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRokkyy
reply to post by Soloist

Why cant they just set up road blocks and check everyone?
Dont they do that for DUI?

[edit on 18-6-2010 by RRokkyy]

We don't want to profile the drunks, now too. Who well stand up for them?
and all the poor illegals in Chicago...

Good riddance...

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Soloist

I totally agree with you, I love that you posted this story. Obama is attacking us in Arizona for what amounts to the State enforcing Federal Law by adding a little bit of State punishment to existing Federal framework. To go against Arizona is the same as going against the whole country. Why can't people get that?

Oh, Hi everybody, this is my first post on this forum, I'll try to keep myself toned down and not inflammatory. For those against SB1070, I have one question, have you read the bill? I've read it. There isn't anything racist about it, period. Not one line. My second big beef is against anyone who tries to keep someone from flying the American Flag, right here in America. As a Citizen of this country I DO have the right to fly the flag of this nation anywhere I want to, any time I want to, unless its someone else's property and they would rather I stay off their property. Trespassing law still applies.

I really get irritated by the apathy that infests the world around me, my Dad being a prime example. If it isn't directly affecting him, or his life, in some way, he doesn't care. It doesn't matter what kind of horrible things are being done, or whose rights are being trampled, he's completely against even thinking about it unless it affects him.

I admit that I tend to ignore things I can't do anything about, but I'll sure as *bleep* say something about it to anyone I can if it's something I feel strongly about. Like a guy being told he can't fly the flag outside his house, because it's against Homeowner Association rules. I'd flip 'em off and say bad things to them! Or another guy who was told he couldn't fly his flag outside his apartment, within the confines of his apartment. What, people can put up satellite Dishes but not the Flag of this country?! Or kids being suspended and sent home from school because they wore US Flag related clothing to school on Cinco De Mayo, because it would be too inflammatory. That's a holiday they don't really even care about in Mexico, it is completely ignored for the most part, it's only a big deal, apparently, in the USA! Why is that?! And how would wearing the flag of This country be inflammatory to anyone living here? If you don't like it, get the *bleep* out of my country!

What are we teaching our kids if we keep them from doing or saying Anything at all that might be offensive to someone? Guess what, that's nearly impossible to do! Anyone can be offended by something everyone else thinks is OK. I am offended by the mere presence of Mushrooms, I find them disgusting and hate them. Does that mean the school shouldn't allow kids to have mushrooms in their food? Does that mean the school should try to eradicate any mushrooms they find on campus? Well, people can have common decency and try not to offend people with bad behavior, or rude language, but beyond that, come ON people, let kids learn what it means to be people, for crying out loud.

There, that's about as inflammatory as I'm gonna get. I'll be listening to Coast to Coast AM again tonight, maybe I'll stop by this forum a bit too.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by Krepta3000]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soloist
"Fill the cracks in, with judicial granite, because I don't say it, don't mean I ain't thinking it
Next thing you know, they'll take my thoughts away"

Your signature, Soloist, reminds me of something I learned today: the 9th Amendment of the Constitution has never been used in a court challenge in the Supreme Court yet. It's been avoided because it would open up the floodgates of naturally occurring and myriad rights accorded to humans precedent to the Constitution. Our founders created a truly magnificent treatise I am every day grateful for being born with.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by Mystical Sadhu]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by chise61
They won't do that in Chicago, Cook County has sanctuary status. The police here aren't allowed to ask for proof of citizenship.

You're right. and it really sucks.

I live on the edge of Cook county, I moved here from L.A. in 2007 ironically to get away from the crime, high cost of living, and crooked government in California.

Joke's on me I guess.

The taxes are sky-high, the shear amount of rules and regulations are mind boggling. I have never heard of any other place, at least that I have lived, that requires you to have a sticker for the city you live in just to be able to park on PRIVATE property.

It's almost funny that you have to have that paper proving you can park there but no big deal if you don't have papers to be in this damn country in the first place. I even got hassled 2 times about my California plates when I had just moved here, I won't even get into the problems with the DMV and that little Nazi-fest.

But the neighborhood I had moved into was nice and quiet, I wasn't getting spotlighted by the police helicopters at night like in my back yard in L.A., there were no gun shots at all hours of the night, no gangs, all the signs aren't in spanish, no streets lined with mexican flags, no illegals trying to steal my stuff like in L.A., no 12 hour neighborhood lock downs, swat team searches, etc, etc...

The times are changing here however, within the last year and a half the house across the street from me has become infested with illegals, at least 15 of them in one house. They hang around outside drinking beer and throwing insanely loud Mariachi parties, and are somehow allowed to park their beat up, broken down cars where I would have gotten a ticket for the same thing.

When the poor old woman passed away next door to them, the family put the house up for sale, but they park in that driveway, sit on that porch drinking beer without shirts on, etc. I talked to the family and they are at wits end because they need to sell the house but no one wants to live next door to that. And who can blame them?

I've talked to the police, and yes they KNOW they are illegals, but their hands are tied in the matter. Unless the laws here change nothing will be done. Nice people are moving out of here, and more illegals have invaded 3 more houses on my street alone since then.

So, I've decided to write this place off as a lost cause. I see the change happening rapidly and will be moving from this state in the next couple of years, I only wish I could go sooner. Let them have it, just like they have California, and when people begin to leave this state in the staggering numbers they are leaving Cali by the time the tax hungry, blood sucking politicians figure out why it'll be too damn late!

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Krepta3000
Oh, Hi everybody, this is my first post on this forum, I'll try to keep myself toned down and not inflammatory. For those against SB1070, I have one question, have you read the bill? I've read it. There isn't anything racist about it, period. Not one line.

Welcome to the forum.

Unlike many other topics on this board, most people on ATS seem to be in agreement that this invasion of our country needs to be stopped before it's too late. So I wouldn't worry too much about toning down

People are so quick to jump up and down and call it racist, but in my native state of Texas, even my Mexican friends have quite a disdain for illegals. Something to think about that was expressed to me was they feel cheated because when they were growing up their first jobs were working on farms, car washes, dish washers, lawn mowing etc, which their kids cannot learn a work ethic from these days due to the illegals undercutting them.

Sure, it's the fault of the business owners and all, but it's become so wide spread and nothing done about it for so long, that it's just the norm now.

We have a generation of spoiled kids who want everything handed to them without learning the true value of hard work.

I think AZ is leading the way to reverse this and it makes me happy to see so many people supporting the bill, and sticking the finger to the feds over this one.

Racist? Naw. Sensible? You bet!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
My favorite logic bomb to drop on people who scream "omg 1070 is racist!" is the following:

obviously it is pretty much everyone from the country of mexico that is what the law considered to be "illegal"

replace mexico with any of the following so it reads:

african
canadian
asian
filipino
yellow people

"American citizens are tired of the crime rates, lack of jobs, clogged hospitals, etc because of the mass amounts of illegal immigration from africa/canada/japan/phillipines/planet yellow/etc"

No matter who is illegal in the country, they are going to use it as a justification point for their illegal behavior. If it's all yellow people I see loitering around the home depots and plant nurserys/uhauls looking for work, then they will scream racist....

It's a moot point. of course they are going to profile you! because you are the prime example at this point of what is getting so many (even your own hispanic brothers/sisters who came here legally and sat in college for 2-4 years to get a education are angry at you also!)

lets think up other examples

erratic driving, swerving all over, riding the middle lane for miles, cutting traffic off, running over people on a sidewalk and thinking you must have hit a trash can = possible drunk/drug abuser.

I've seen all races and skin colors pulled over for drunk driving/drug abuse, so racism is a moot point here! you fit a "profile" the cop pulled you over!

Suspicious activity around a bank, taking photos of entrances/exits, observing security guards inside with binoculars, asking them questions like "how often do guards change a day? etc etc" = you are probably gonna rob the bank!

again, i've seen all races show cased for doing this behavior! racism is again moot!

Prowling around a house, dead of night dressed in all black peeking in windows then suddenly smashing a window on a it, jumping in to tie up the occupants and steal stuff, maybe some rape thrown in for good measure = assault/burglary!

again, i've seen all races doing this! racism is yet again moot here! "uhh officer, that's not my hammer I smashed the window with and you found my fingerprints on! it wasn't me you saw jumping in the window! not at all!"

"most shrink loss in a store is usually caused by employees, due to them knowing all weaknesses, flaws, security methods, etc in a system more then the general public"

Bingo! more profiling! Every race has used this to their advantage, that's why a "profile" has been created to allow loss prevention/cops the ability to start seeking out methods of solving the crime, so round the employees up and start using legal methods to figure it out!

No matter what, profiling is what happens to cut through a wide swath of hassles.

Is it easier for a cop to stop every single person coming and going out of a home depot and say "hey gimme your papers! lets see some!" or pay attention to the outer areas where they are loitering around, badgering people in the parking lot or waiting to be picked up?

Or a even better example. a common issue with day laborers around the mentioned places is littering, loitering, public urination in the bushes/behind dumpsters, etc. Suppose it's a law (most states have them) that it's illegal to relieve yourself in public? bam! there is your probable cause to dig deeper in their background. Had they held it in or went inside to use the bathroom, they wouldn't be on a bus for the mexico border....

I'm amazed at how dense and deaf (not saying that you are, the one I replied to) people are lately with the law.

"you are racist officer! just because I was swerving side to side on the road throwing out beer cans and blaring loud music at 2:30 am while street racing you are going to check my background and deport me! racist! how dare you profile me! I deserve to be here!"

*shakes head* Cue the ACLU for the above moron and La Raza to gummy up the judicial system!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soloist

I wonder if Obama feels this raid operation is "misguided"? Especially since it's happening in his "hometown" of Chicago.

This was in Palatine, Il, which is considered a northwest suburb of Chicago, and is also known for Brown's Chicken Massacre.

en.wikipedia.org...'s_Chicken_massacre

I also wonder how he's going to explain this to his little buddy Calderon.

Small potatoes. It's not like 22,000 people were arrested, which would still barely make a dent!

But what I *really* want to know is how they pulled this off without any "racial profiling" that they constantly use to assail the new Arizona law. Most of them are Mexican nationals say the officials, so perhaps those illegals just volunteered up that information and turned themselves in?

They wouldn't need to racially profile. I lived in Palatine, at the time of the Brown's chicken murders, right down the street. Even at that time, there was a large hispanic population there, and there has been a huge problem with gangs for years! Not all the gang members are hispanic, either. Plus, in your article, it's clear these people who were targeted for arrest, had their hands busy committing other crimes.

Among them was 38-year-old Rudolfo Lira, of the 1500 block of Silver Lane in Palatine, who authorities say faces forgery charges and has an outstanding warrant out of Cook County. After his criminal case concludes, Lira will be remanded to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement for deportation, authorities said.

and also:

Twenty-two of those arrested are gang members, said an ICE spokeswoman in a prepared statement, and most of them are Mexican nationals who face immigration charges and deportation.

Perhaps if they had stayed low profile, and out of gangs, they would never have been caught!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
How many illegals have been deported only to come right back again? If we don't protect the border or enforce our laws, we'll never get anywhere.

There are 80,000 illegal's in Florida alone. Rhode island the smallest state has 20,000 to 40,000. R.I. has a big gang problem. I don't think there is a single state that doesn't have gangs/drug cartels/illegal immigrants. I linked a map of where they all where in another thread.

Gun shots in the middle of the night even in what were once safe neighborhoods, children kept inside because it is too dangerous to play in their own back yards, murders, etc. has got to stop!!!! People can not sit back and hopes it goes away. Over the years it has gotten worse. Write/call your representatives, vote idiots out of office. Do everything in your power. This is an invasion and Government has allowed it to happen.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
This was in Palatine, Il, which is considered a northwest suburb of Chicago,

Yes, Palatine is right up the highway from me, but this wasn't just in Palatine.

Of the 26 arrests, 13 occurred in Palatine, eight in Rolling Meadows and one each in Elgin, Hanover Park, Streamwood, Wheeling and Chicago.

They wouldn't need to racially profile.

Sure they would. How many gangs allow different races in? Not all of these were gang arrests, most of them were, but :

most of them are Mexican nationals who face immigration charges and deportation.

The point of my post was to take a jab at the administration and others cries of "racial profiling" in the Arizona law. Most of us know that those people are just FOR illegals no matter what. Some will say we need to go after the businesses that hire them or go after the gangs, etc.

But there is no way to go after those businesses or gangs without the same "racial profiling" that's in the AZ law.

It's a big heaping pile of hypocrisy. And I for one think we need to all grab shovels and toss it away.

new topics

top topics

join