It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Victim of Identity Theft. need help tracking IP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Not sure if this is appropriate here but can't hurt to ask. My daughter was the victim of identity theft while she was in boot camp for the guard last fall. It just came to light. I have the ip of the person who did it, but not computer savoy enough to know how to track it.
I figured with all computer gurus around here, someone may know how to do it. Please U2U me if you would like to help. Who ever did this. didn't do a lot of damage. but she may not have been the only one so it would be good to stop them. Thanks so much in advance.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
You can't (or at least shouldn't be able to!) use that IP to personally identify someone, the best you can do on your own as a private citizen would be to work out who that persons internet service provider is and the general location down to the closest city usually.

And that is only if that person didn't take any sort of precautions to anonymize their internet use (a very simple to do to some degree).

The police would be able to investigate further (if they are interested) and they could probably get more specific information from the ISP.

Another thing you could do is google 'IP lookup' and pop the ip in one of those, just to see what information comes up.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Yes thank you, I thought of that after I posted! I at least now have a city. Wish it was that easy to get the name... guess she will have to go to the police. Thank you for responding

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
If she is in the military take all the information to the JAG office for her command.

Id theft while someone is in boot camp is more common then many think.

While in boot camp the service member does not have access to anyway to check bank accounts or other information.
Plus there are many people working with there critical information at boot camp that can use or sell the information during the time the service member is unable to keep a eye out for problems. all it take is one that want to make money selling the information

Military records would be a perfect place to get ID theft information and the time period someone is in boot camp or deployed overseas would be the perfect time to use the information.

top topics

join