It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$7-a-gallon gas?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
If there is cap and trade legislation, the $4 is not necessarily going into the oil companies' pockets. Some of that money might go towards the government in the form of pollution credits.

That's my main concern. What are they going to do with all the extra tax dollars? If they were honestly going to invest it in "clean energy" technology I might not mind as much. The amount of trust I have for government oversight is very small however. Some special interest is bout to get a chunk of this money. I don't like the government telling me that they know how to spend my money better than I do.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Well where we live, we had to buy in the boonies because it was all we could afford on one income . My husband has an hour and a half drive to work each way. He drives a small car, that gets over 30 mpg gas mil. yet the fuel STILL kills us.

When it was $4.00 I had days I had to cancel Dr appointments because I had no gas. We got one trip to town once a week or my husband could not goto work.

$7.00 would kill us. There are no buses out here. In fact it would kill most small towns. Probably their goal. Get everyone in one place for control.
We would have to walk from our home, and my poor 9 pets , would have to be rehomed as there are limits in the city , only allowing 3 or 4 can not remember.

I have so had it with what corruption has done. EVERYONE knows government is corrupt yet they play along. I just do not get it. Just because you want something to work does no make it work. Its not dreamland. Something has to be done by ALL the people . You think they are just gonna say hey, this is wrong, lets work for the people ? They will not.

People in this country have become so brain dead or more I should say brain washed. Its sick. It all comes down to we are slaves to their system.
I am tired of the system. I want out.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by kybertech
Crude Oil prices and the price you pay at the gas station are not that related. And if the spill would matter in a substantial amount the crude prices would be near the previous all-time high by now.

In the big picture it may make sense, because the biofuels would be competitive at this price, which finally would give them a reason to create a real food shortage.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by kybertech]

Wha?

You realize that when crude was at an all time low, I believe aound 35 dollars, I was paying 1.50 dollars a gallon - and when the prices of crude went up so did the price at the pump.

They are not 100% directly related, but certainly to an extent.

Look at the price of crude oil, and you can see the effects at the pump a week or two later.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
A total sham.

If it were anything about curbing oil use he'd be out on a speaking tour telling everyone to stop buying crap Chinese products, and instead buy durable long lasting Made in the US products.

He doesn't mention how virtually everything in the modern world, in particular plastics, are made from oil.

He'd also be grandstanding about industrial hemp products, if this agenda had anything whatsoever to do with the environment or curbing oil use.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The problem is not so much the absolute price of gas/petrol but the rate of price rises against rate of change in public behaviour.

The UK didn't get where we are overnight. Slow year on year petrol price rises over a long time. It forces economy to be a major purchasing criteria for vehicles when they are swapped. But it doesn't go up so fast people are forced to change out of their normal sell/buy cycle.

The US could be years ahead, instead of behind. Theres nothing wrong with american engineering. A complacent auto industry management is to blame for a lot.

You dont need hybrids or full electric to make a difference. A decent 4 cylinder diesel or petrol can still get good economy and enough power for most normal personal transport eg 75 mph all day with 5 passengers getting 50mpg. I drive one and its from a cheap brand....

ps The real scandal about fossil fuel propulsion isn't 'climate change'. The scandal is oil is a finite resource we cannot replace as a fundamental raw material in manufacturing. Oil runs out? Say bye bye to plastics then, say hello 19th century. Thats why burning it wastefully is retarded...

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

While I doubt that the oil industry is less greedy in the US maybe you have more competition.
Lets just say gas prices stayed above 1 euro per litre here, do the math..
Well maybe to an extent, the price is somewhat related but not as much as you would expect and it seems they are quickly raising the price at the pump once crude prices go up but not the other way around.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Canadians also like the original version of "carpooling." Hitchhiking. I've enjoyed this for decades. You never know who you're going to meet. Some interesting people.

Yes, like Jeffery Dahmer, Charles Manson, yourJohn VanderSloot, Scot Peterson, Mary Ann Cotton, Rose West, Belle Gunness, Ted Bundy, Karla Homolka, and Ed Gein, to name a few.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Btw, why do gas companies always have to make a profit? Doesn't a car maker take it on the nose when they screw up? Toyota comes to mind. But NOOOOO let the taxpayer pay for Big Oil's screw ups. :shk:

Probably because politicians, bankers and the ruling elite are all heavily invested in oil and not car manufacturing.

They're just protecting their wealth.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I love these naive thinkers who propose that we all move into big cities, take the bus and perhaps even do each others laundry. Get bent. I lived downtown Toronto at one time and the city is rampant with crime, pollution, overcrowding and an constant odor of piss. No thanks.

Public transit is a complete joke. It is highly inefficient (from the commuters perspective, namely mine) taking 2-3 times to travel the same distance by car. In the summer you quickly determine who fails to understand the concept of bathing daily and in the winter there are constant equipment failures.

Instead I live where I have property (and not crammed into some tincan condo) with a casual lifestyle that is both comfortable and safe for me and my family. I drive a lot to commute to work (and yes I drive a LandRover because of winter conditions and hell I want the comfort). If the price of gas skyrockets so be it. I cannot drive a bike to work, completely out of the question so yes my reliance on oil is front and center.

brill

[edit on 18-6-2010 by brill]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

Canadians also like the original version of "carpooling." Hitchhiking. I've enjoyed this for decades. You never know who you're going to meet. Some interesting people.

Yes, like Jeffery Dahmer, Charles Manson, yourJohn VanderSloot, Scot Peterson, Mary Ann Cotton, Rose West, Belle Gunness, Ted Bundy, Karla Homolka, and Ed Gein, to name a few.

So true. Yes you can certainly meet some characters, and some will be sure to put your severed head in their fridge after a long days work.

brill

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by theability
reply to post by dbates

Obama has proven himself to be unworthy of the Commander In Chief.

In fact doing something like this says nothing more than Obama is completely pathetic.

If he decides to run with this, Revolt would be a word rumbling among our people.

Sad that we have gone from one horrible president to another that is bent on destroying American completely.

I agree,
and I will admit *ashamed as I am*...
That I actually voted for the worthless retard.
First time i vote in ages, and he turns out to be a fn schmuck.
(not like our votes mean anything anyway)
But still...

are we ready to fn Revolt yet!?!?!?!

I am..

and Im non violent..
but lately...
not feeling so....

put me on a podium in front of the entire world..
and I will f'ng let loose with furious anger..

I dont give 2 $***s about gas prices or anything else of the sort,
that's all fn meaningless.
I care about the sheer fn stupidity of those in power.
F***

[edit on 18-6-2010 by Ahmose]

[edit on 18-6-2010 by Ahmose]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
$7 a gallon gas would put me out of a job. My round trip drive is 14 miles a day. My wife and I share a car between us. We cannot afford a secondary car at this time. We carry no debt, no cell phones, no television, no car payment and do not go out to eat. We are flat out broke. On days when we both work, then that 14 mile trip is made twice. At the end of the month we have around $300 bucks left over, that is cutting things way closer than I would like. Unfortunately a higher paying job is not an option in this city. Sure we could live closer to my job, we could also live in a high crime area as well. I choose to spend a bit more each month to live somewhere much safer than anywhere close to the city. At 7 dollars a gallon, I would be forced to quit my job to find closer employment. Closer employment constitutes fast food or minimum wage retail. Even working two minimum wage jobs I would still not have the same level of income and benefits I do now. Any increase to that level would effectively put millions of people who are just scraping by into the poor house. If it came down to having to take assistance at the government teat I would shoot myself, no one should ever live that way.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by kybertech

Do you know the tax on your gas?

I think we have about a dollar here through state and federal in my state.

So when the gas was 1.50 dollars a gallon, a dollar of it was tax.

Maybe your gasoline is cheap, but has extreme taxes?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

And don't forget "Large Marge" from Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
A lot of people are forgetting something very important. Listen real close:

America is not Europe!

Europe is fairly heavily populated. America is sparsely populated outside the cities.

European nations are roughly the size of one state in the USA. We have 50 states.

America grows most of the world's food. Growing food takes land. More land means more distance to travel to cross it.

Growing more food on more land also means more fuel to power the equipment used in agriculture.

Europe (apparently) is covered with public transportation systems. the USA is not, except in the cities.

Cities in America are crowded, noisy, dirty, and crime-ridden. Higher gas prices is equivalent to sentencing all Americans to live in such.

Again, just in case you missed it:

America is not Europe!

Add into that mess the fact that a lot of different foods are only grown in certain areas. Oranges cannot be grown in Minnesota. You can't grow corn in a swamp. You can't grow rice in the desert. You can't fish for lobster in Kansas. So in order to have complete diets, foods must be transported form where they can grow to where they are to be eaten. You raise the gas prices to $7 a gallon in this country, and you will see an increase in malnutritional disease, since some foods will be so expensive they can only be purchased by the very wealthy, and other will not even be available.

And this will affect the cities worse than anywhere; most cities have one week's supply of food behind the shelves. When fuel is too expensive to move freight, that's empty store shelves in one week.

Now let's talk about other products... computers, TVs, furniture, tools, toys, pots, pans, appliances... all of these things must be shipped to be available. Shipping takes fuel. Raise the fuel price and you raise the shipping price. Raise the shipping price, and you raise the store price. Raise the store price enough, and people will begin doing without, because they do not have the money to buy. Stop people from buying, and companies begin to fold. When companies fold, they lay off workers.

Not to mention, you simply cannot make all the things that are made next to the mines or fields where the raw material is produced. Your clothes were made in a factory that I promise you was not situated in the middle of a cotton field. Most products go through several shipping stages, from raw materials to refined materials to components to assemblies, before they even get to the final stage to be shipped to the stores. Each plant is in a different location. Why? Because there is no single location that can handle that many jobs.

So if you live in America and want $7 a gallon gas, then please stop buying anything, pull the main fuse in your house so you don't use electricity, stop eating anything that doesn't grow in your yard, and get back to me in a month to tell me how wonderful it is. If you believe that and don't live in America, well, you simply have no idea what you are talking about. Try reading about other places besides where you live; it is shocking, I know, but they are all different! Imagine that!

Oh, and in case you forgot:

America is not Europe!

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
This is greed aand outright blame being pushed on us. DIDnt obama himself say BP will pay for it all? This sounds so intentional, the oil spill. Sounds like they wanna impose a $7 a gallon price, then be all sneaky about it, and in time sooner or later, say its a carbon tax, hoping most forget about what the cause was for.
taxing us wont fix oil catastrophies. they dont even have the technology to clean up amess, let alone contain it! i guess its governemnts way of making sure WE know whos in charge, as a reminder. all corporate stalin like

a corporate company screwed up,. let em pay for it. NO reason we should go down so they BP ammoco can survive. i mean really what have they done for us to even consider such a proposal? SQUAT

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
and..since oil is used in the making of plastics, and used in cleaning things, soaps,( petrolatum) vaseline, garbage bags, plastics used to contain frozen foods, containers for vast varietys of things, shampoos, ect....ide expect the cost of those things to go up too

plastic was supposed to be the engineering of the future, to keep costs down. apparently it aint working anymore. besides, as i read in the news, about BPA being in plastics, cans ect toxic to humans...maybe we should be going back to glass things. prob be cheaper in hte long run to do so, than use and waste precious comodities, like oil*

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
concerning the prices of anything, and why we pay....

less than 100 years ago (1920s) one could buy a car for less than $300.

if the past is any measure of what the future holds for us if we continue to not abandon the current economic model....

by 2080 my new car will cost $480,000
and i'll be required by law to pay another $80,000+ in mandatory insurance policies.

meanwhile i'm forced to pay taxes that pay lawmakers to make more laws when no one citizen alive today can live long enough to learn all the laws that exist already.

the current political model is leading us where?
has the system capsized? how many lifeboats are left?

just some thoughts,
ET

[edit on 18-6-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

Well there is a new way to eliminate to eliminate most forms of plastic commonly used today, which consumes 10% of our oil here in the U S, and the new product is biodegradable. I posted a thread about it here on ATS.

I think it's time that we start supporting these kinds of ideas, to help wean us off of oil consumption, even if it's as "simple" as eliminating plastic as now produced.

The thread is located here:

"PROGANIC(R) is the "2010 Biomaterial of the Year!"

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

That is what they want. They don't want you to be happy. The more you give in to them, the more they win.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join