It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$7-a-gallon gas?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
And if other countries are paying that much, why shouldn't we?

Kids in other countries are starving. Why shouldn't ours?

Just because it happens in one country doesn't mean it should in another.

That sort of comes under that statement your mom always said, "If your friends jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge, would you, too?"

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I could agree to an extent. I would rather the higher prices be because of taxes that would actually be used for something worthwhile. Not so the companies can get more profits.

I would also atleast think that higher prices would encourage less waste. And encourage more use of public transportation, walking, bike riding, car pooling etc.... I see it every weekend here, rich kids in gas guzzlers cruising a half a mile circle for 4-6 hours straight.

I know why they do it, I did it when I was a kid. But we'd all be better off if you got out and walked the half a mile circle for 4 hours.

We have nascar if we want to watch people waste gas going in circles for 4 hours.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Exactly...maybe the Americans will really start to appreciate the cost of screwing the environment and start get more fuel efficient cars ..We in the UK have been screwed for so long ....its about time the big oil economies felt the pinch!!

If America's economy was built on oil...the problems they have now if the cost of fuel is raised pale into comparison to what is happening in the gulf!!

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThaLoccster
I would also atleast think that higher prices would encourage less waste. And encourage more use of public transportation, walking, bike riding, car pooling etc...

Those are my thoughts. I don't think we can continue to be wasteful, drive gas hogs, and be spoiled by lower gas prices. We need to change our behavior. We should see smaller cars, motorcycles and scooters on the road, but fat and happy Americans are driving their hummers across town to cruise all night... And plastics, too. We need to become aware of what's causing the problems and do something about it.

We have nascar if we want to watch people waste gas going in circles for 4 hours.

A perfect example. I don't think the US would go under if we stopped supporting NASCAR...

[edit on 6/18/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
There is still a lot of scope for belt-tightening to say the least.

We may find more oil or another technology that allows the current lifestyle to continue. I don't rule it out at all. Certainly at the moment there is no "oil shortage" in the gulf, it seems. But we also have to prepare for the possibility of oil shortages for any number of reasons. Peak oil could turn out to be real. It could happen that we don't get around to developing an alternative fuel anywhere near as efficient or affordable as oil. Oil might have to be used for other things in a shortage, like plastics, medicines, and fertilizers. There could be inturruptions in oil imports due to the volitile Middle East situation. The reaction to the gulf disaster could slow production with new regulations. The US dollar could crater or cease to serve as a gloabl reserve currency, ending the petrodollar system and sending the price of oil in dollars skyrocketing.
And so on.

Truth is, there are a whole host of reasons why we could experience temporary or long-term oil shortages. It would be wise to have strategies in place to deal with the possibility, even if the preparations never have to be used.

If there is indeed going to be a retrenchment, we could see an urban revival. City cores are much more energy-efficient than suburbs. Ring the cities with farms and we'd be good to go for some time.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I only wish our govt had the balls to do this. $7 dollar a gallon gas wouldnt wreck our economy. It would improve it. All those people riding in their f- 150's and Escalades would finally be forced to buy smaller cars, reducing our dependence on foreign sources of oil.

this would CREATE a market for smaller and/or alternative means of transportation.

We need to change our gas guzzling ways, and there is no easy way to do this.

If you are scared of $7 dollar a gallon gas, try going to Japan or Europe.

We need more public transport, and more efficient ways of travel.

Or would you rather send your hard earned $$$ to the Middle East? They are gettin fat off of our continued use of SUV's, that are mainly used to carry one person, insane!

We need $7 a gal gas, Obama. We have been decadent for long enough, show us the WAY!

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Canada Right now (about 10 minutes ago where I live, and less than 7 miles from the NY border) is 90 cents a litre... which is about 3.50ish an American Gallon... Not really great, but better than $1.15 a litre. It is unfair to everyone to just make gas go to 7$ a gallon... It's not the peoples fault that this S--t happened. Most people are open to new ideas, and fuel ideas.. but its the corporations that won't let it happen. They want to milk oil for as long as it will last. That is a FACT. They can put all the 'fuel efficient' crap out there they want, but profit is the bottom line for these greedy people. They might have new ideas, but wont put them out there until they start losing money. And with the gov. backing them pretty much, us, the average joe, is F-ed. It's a sad state of affairs... "I'd love to change the world, but I don't know what to do... so I'll leave it up to you"

[edit on 18-6-2010 by theknuckler]

[edit on 18-6-2010 by theknuckler]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
What about a system where gas prices were apportioned based on some kind of valid criteria? For example, long-distance truck drivers and hospital ambulances, say, would pay lower prices than one person in a monster SUV. This would help everybody -- the lower prices for the truckers would keep food and goods cheaper for consumers, and lower prices for certian public services would keep tax burdens down. Meanwhile, if people want to be wasteful they can, but they will have to pay something closer to the real costs of their actions. Sure, this kind of system has room for abuse and there would be lots of details to iron out. But it has the potential to work.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErEhWoN
If you are scared of $7 dollar a gallon gas, try going to Japan or Europe.

Why Gas in the US is so Cheap

This chart, from 2008 shows different countries and what they pay. Norway is in 2nd place at $8.73 per gallon. US is in 108th place at $3.45.

The cheapest country is Venezuela at $.12 a gallon!

Us comes in at #44 on that list.

We need $7 a gal gas, Obama. We have been decadent for long enough, show us the WAY!

Eww. That made me a little sick to my stomach.
"Show us the way"?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
If Gas goes to $7/ Gallon this nation will be in revolution overnight. I as others are ready to go. We have kept our heads level and we will hold our lines in the sand.

However the effect that the increase in taxes will have on the entire economy will be devastating.

You will see crimes commited by people that normaly would not think of such acts right now. Their actions will lead to martial law and widespread civil unrest.

This will lead to the Militias to spring into action independantly and start the process of removing the tyrants.

Disclaimer: This is no more extreme then the foundations of this Republic, and was the basis of it's seperation from the Tyrants in Britian in the 1770's

The statement made above in no way is to interpeted as a threat. It's is ment to put things into perspective from a historical point of view congruant with the nations founders.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by SWCCFAN]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ErEhWoN

I only wish our govt had the balls to do this. $7 dollar a gallon gas wouldnt wreck our economy. It would improve it. All those people riding in their f- 150's and Escalades would finally be forced to buy smaller cars, reducing our dependence on foreign sources of oil.

By itself it wouldn't wreck our economy, but in the presence of ever increasing easy CREDIT, it will wreck our economy!

The $4 and $5 dollar per gallon gas prices helped lead directly to the crash of 2008. Economist theories have not caught up with our easy credit and instantaneous transaction reality. Their theories are vastly lacking! (This opinion from several Economics Professors at FSU.)

If we raise gas prices drastically, it doesn't immediately change behavior, it just forces people to use credit cards and carry higher and higher balances. After several months or even years the minimum payments on those cards becomes too high to maintain. Also, the available credit starts to dwindle and purchasing power goes away. Therefore, a drastic increase in price today, will affect the economy a year or two down the road. It will only affect behavior then, not now.

If we had allowed 2008 to crash and avoided all the bailouts, we would have crucified our politicians, but our deep depression would be over by now instead of just starting! Now we have a brand new problem of the government being over indebted along with the population being over indebted. We have delayed the consequences and we are patiently waiting for the next domino to fall and finish off this fraying tight rope!

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Because of 7$ gas?!?

I'd think people were ready to revolt over the loss of civil liberties, and the merger with corporations that has turned us into America Inc.

But revolution...overnight....because of gas prices?

I'd hate to see what you do to a guy who says you probably should walk to work.

"They can have my gas can when they pry it from my cold dead hands"

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
A question. When the recession was starting to hit, didn't the big oil guys record record profits? I seem to recall a video on that here. Why are these bastards not playing by the open market? Why do they need gov't interference to achieve profit? NO ONE has the success rate of the oil companies. They are set up NOT to lose money. Your dollars.

A couple of years ago my son had a Economics class. Being the person he is he wasted his time. He asked with about a month left in the term, "What can I do to get back into this?" I told him to buy oil stock. He ended up in the top 10. Once other saw the benefit of oil stocks they jumped on the bandwagon. You vs Big Oil? Government says, "YOU LOSE!!!"

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Hey its not all bad.

Im in Scotland and in my area it is £1.27 a litre. Thats £5.72 a gallon.

$8.48 a gallon and its been like this for almost a year.

Before that it was at about £4.50 - £4. 90 per gallon for the last 2 - 3 years. Prior to that it was still over £4 a gallon for the last 5.

Not good on both sides of the pond but I can guarantee you one thing, it will only get more expensive. It seems like european prices are going to become America's norm in the future and capitalist society demands more and more profit every year. Its only ever going to go up, never down in the long term until the big fat man at the top has everything and then it will come tumbling down on everyone.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
As others have pointed out, Europeans have lived for decades with high gas prices. The reason why the Europeans have not had their economy wrecked is that their infrastructure and lifestyle do not depend on cheap gas.

Many Americans might be horrified at the idea of walking more, using public transit, and driving a car that weighs less than their wife. However, Europeans do it all the time and they seem better off for it.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

I would be interested to know something about the states though.

Is this because of a sneaky tax hike or is it because of companies needing profit?

Where I am from, we are paying something like 80% tax on fuel, its horrendous.

www.petrolprices.com...

The effects on food are pretty easy to see as well but instead of hiking the prices all the time, companies lower the nutritional values of products then after that has been exhausted they lower the gram content, finally after that the price goes up, normally by that point the government decides they need more money and raise the VAT. Living in GB is great these days, if you can ignore the inevitable sound of your own stomach growling in the future or your bank account balance has more than four digits.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

I guess I should clarify my statement.

If gas is $7+ per gallon the cost of everything else will skyrocket. A family of 4 would need to make 100,000+ just to keep their head above water. everyone else would be forced into dependance.

Dependance leads to dispare which will cause an increase in crime. The increase in crime will escalate into civil unrest. That will provoke the Government into declaring Martial Law.

That action will cause Freedom loving Americans to respond with force directed to those that Opress them.

History will repeat.

Remeber "Don't Tread On Me" is a warning not a request.

The writings of the founders spelled it out very clearly.

If Goverment is alowed by the people to grow beyond the peoples control we have a right to render such goverment null and void and put in place a new form of government.

Its not anti government reherotic its historical fact.

When people or animals are backed into a corner they are the most dangerious and will fight to the death to try and regain freedom.

It seems we have failed to learn from our own mistakes.

Edit: Bear in mind that the Dollar is loosing value day to day and we import most of the items we buy including some food. Can you say Hyperinflation?

[edit on 18-6-2010 by SWCCFAN]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
Many Americans might be horrified at the idea of walking more, using public transit, and driving a car that weighs less than their wife. However, Europeans do it all the time and they seem better off for it.

Canadians also like the original version of "carpooling." Hitchhiking. I've enjoyed this for decades. You never know who you're going to meet. Some interesting people.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion only. It doesn't reflect the opinion of ATS. Why? Because: "You never know who you're going to meet." I just enjoy hitchhiking.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

You make a great point. Simply raising gas prices is not going to fix anything. There is so much that's messed up. :shk: The extra $4 per gallon would go right in the oil companies' pockets...

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

I am not quite sure what you are asking.

Here in the states, gas (or petrol as you call it) is relatively cheap because the taxes on it are very low. Currently there is cap and trade legislation going through US Congress. Cap and trade would effectively raise the price of gas.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join