It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reagans Funeral

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 07:02 AM
link   
It is estimated that Ronald Reagans funeral costs $650 million dollars. Quite the chunk of money if you ask me. Granted he was the 40th president of the United States but c'mon. Was it really necessary?

The media of course airing it on all local channels where I live had nothing to show except a car driving down the highway and shots of a plane in the sky for how long? Do we need to see such things as that? I feel it was only necessary to show the funeral itself and not all the useless stuff before hand. I was interested in seeing the funeral aspect but not all the other crap that was not needed. I don't have cable television so I had no choice if I cared to watch television. All in all why in the world was any of this necessary for taxpayers?

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by I See You
All in all why in the world was any of this necessary for taxpayers?

Yes, I believe it was. For those that loved this man, it was a healing process.

I'm sure others complained about the JFK state funeral and Johnson's also.

Further, I believe there is much more than $650 million wasted on worthless programs per year in the US. That money I would question far more than how much was spent on a President's funeral.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I think your cost numbers are extremely flawed. Please provide support.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Even if the numbers are correct, which I doubt, I think the funeral was totally appropriate. This was to honor the man who brought the cold war to an end without firing a single shot. Gorby's interview about
Reagan really summed it all up.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   
sosuemetoo

Yes many things are wasted at that expense or more. I'm sure Reagan was loved. Many people die everyday and they are loved just as much as Reagan by his loved ones. No difference. I didn't dislike him at all...I just thought the expense was quite high. No bitterness here it's only $2.00 from my pocket.

Valhall

Front page of Rochester Democrat and Chronicle of yesterdays paper. Figure all federal and state employees having the day off and all the other expenses. My cost was correct.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I think that the coverage was a bit overkill, but --

It wasn't just about Reagan's death. It was like the death of an era. An era where the president could be folksy & smile a lot & there was no major terrorist attack yet on our soil. The US'll never get that innocence back again. And so I think that when Reagan finally died, that point was really driven home to the American people, and they mourned not just for him but probably even more for a part of their past.

Also, I was a little kid when Reagan was in office so watching this funeral & people like Thatcher & Bush Sr. be so old--I felt so old!!!!

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I think we need to think about this 2 different ways :

1 the acutal cost of the funeral itself. Cars, gas, burial, airline usage, etc.

and then personnel used, missed work, etc.

I found this site : us.rediff.com...

While the cost of the entire security framework for the former president's funeral is several million dollars, the Friday holiday for government departments will result in a loss of at least $423 million, reports the Los Angeles Times.

this site says [ A D.C. official told the Los Angeles Times on Wednesday that the district had already incurred $2.3 million in expenses for employees in police, transit, public works, and other departments.]
www.villagevoice.com...

[edit on 12-6-2004 by elevatedone]

[edit on 12-6-2004 by elevatedone]

new topics

top topics

join