It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Methane levels 40% instead of normal 5% in Gulf - Scientists are Worried

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Pellevoisin

What post are you referring to? I didn't see the link that went to Joye, and I want to read it. I have been following a Professor Joye's blog.

www.gulfblog.uga.edu...

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Oceanographer ... Kessler in the OP ... truth-teller (in my experience).

Joye ... keep following....

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Perhaps things aren't as bad as they seem...

Allen: Oil collection rate from ruptured Gulf well increasing

You've seen the devastation. Now it's your chance to help. Tune in Monday night for a special "Larry King Live, Disaster in the Gulf: How You Can Help" telethon featuring an all-star panel of guests joining forces in the Gulf region. Don't miss "Larry King Live," 8 ET Monday night on CNN.

(CNN) -- Efforts to contain oil gushing from BP's ruptured well in the Gulf of Mexico are becoming more effective, according to Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen, the federal government's point man for the disaster.

Approximately 25,000 barrels of oil -- slightly more than 1 million gallons -- were collected from the well in the 24-hour period ending at midnight Thursday, Allen told reporters Friday. The total represents an increase of nearly 6,700 barrels -- or roughly 281,000 gallons -- compared with Wednesday's tally.

Federal officials anticipate a total collection capacity of up to 80,000 barrels per day by July.

A team of government and independent scientists announced Tuesday that the flow rate from the well might be as high as 60,000 barrels a day.

On Thursday, Allen said the drilling of two relief wells -- viewed as the ultimate solution to the Deepwater Horizon gusher -- was ahead of schedule, but he shied away from saying the well would be plugged early, citing the complexity of the operation.

I don't know about anyone else, but I think I'll sleep better knowing there's going to be a "telethon featuring an all-star panel of guests joining forces in the Gulf region". A telethon??? After 2+ months and right after BP agreeing to $20B be set aside for those affected in the Gulf?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it if any monies or offers of assistance are made for those affected by this tragedy, but IMO, it just smacks of sensationalic journalism to up ratings and get a few faces in the public limelight. I certainly hope that's not the case, so perhaps I should give them the benefit of the doubt, yet why wasn't this telethon put together two months ago if they really care that much?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
'We are not pwerless we are powerful, let's take charge and do our own clean up'

DR. MASARU EMOTO'S PRAYER FOR THE GULF OF MEXICO.

I just received this prayer from a friend and want to pass it along to you all.

Hello Friends -

The Chain of Love and Forgiveness is beginning to grow. Join the prayer of Masura Emoto for the Gulf. Miracles can happen. Below are two versions written about the prayer from two different sources- Scroll all the way down to the end and see the dolphins swim…

Dr. Masaru Emoto's prayer for the Gulf of Mexico

Dr. Masaru Emoto is the scientist from Japan who has done all the research and publications about the characteristics of water. Among other things, his research revealed that water physically responds to emotions. Many people have the predominantly angry emotion when we consider what is happening in the Gulf.

And while justified in that emotion, we may be of greater assistance to our planet and its life forms if we sincerely, powerfully and humbly pray the prayer that Dr. Emoto, himself, has proposed. I am passing this request to people I believe may be willing to participate in this prayer, to set an intention of love and healing that is so large, so overwhelming that we can perform a miracle in the Gulf of Mexico .

We are not powerless. We are powerful.

Our united energy, speaking this prayer daily...multiple times daily... can literally shift the balance of destruction that is happening. We don't have to know how...we just have to recognize that the power of love is greater than any other power active in the Universe today.

(The Prayer)

"I send the energy of love and gratitude to the waters and all living creatures in the Gulf of Mexico and its surroundings. To the whales, dolphins, pelicans, fish, shellfish, planktons, corals, algae ... humankind ... to ALL living creatures ...

I am sorry. Please forgive me. Thank you. I Love You."

Please join me in often repeating this Healing Prayer by Dr. Emoto. Feel free to send it around the planet. Let's take charge ... and do our own cleanup.! All of us together, ONE MIND ONE SPIRIT, One Planet, ONE GOD….

Please share this note with your friends and contacts around the world.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

I have Dr. Masaru Emoto's book about water. Unfortunately, this water is already so poisoned, and the biggest deal here is the poison and the methane.

I guess prayer won't hurt though, the gulf needs all the help it can get.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen
'We are not pwerless we are powerful, let's take charge and do our own clean up'

DR. MASARU EMOTO'S PRAYER FOR THE GULF OF MEXICO.

What's that religious phony's prayer have to do with this THREAD?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by etcorngods

Now, there is no need for `name calling`.

Personally, I believe in the power of intention. So much negativity surrounding the oil in water has been generated that we forgot to `pray` for healing and move on with our lives, for crying out loud!

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   

You can imagine how devastating a methane explosion could be watching these bubbles. creepy

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
They detected Methane on Titan, if this is in the absence of biological forms, then Abiotic oil makes sense, but it is open ended since there is a possibilty that there could be biological activity on Titan, which has internal heat in any case. I suppose there could be something in between, and that scientists have not got to grips with in the different ways that chemistry and biology interact on a given time scale or whatever context you want to use.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by smurfy]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Having read this thread it takes very little imagination to understand the severe danger that this situation poses to the people around the gulf with respect to a methane bubble fuelled tsanami let alone the destruction of the eco system locally and all over the world.
I live on the extreme west coast of Scotland so when this dicharging muck enters the Gulf Stream we are at the other end of the conveyor belt let alone if the sea floor blows. We here also pride ourselves on the quality of our shellfish fisheries and unspoilt ecosystem.
It is rumoured that there are massive oil deposits under the Sound of Mull at great depth. Over recent years millions of pounds have been spent developing the harbour at Mallaig and on double laning the single track road to Fort William so all the pieces are dropping into place. The government are slowly granting exploration/drilling licences westwards towards us.
If all I read is true about the implications of the gas bubble the American goverment should be openly warning the people and arranging mass evacuation even if it is just case untill things are better understood.
One of the reasons proposed for the Bermuda Triangle ship sinkings was rising methane gas bubbles effectively lowering the water density therefore causing most solids to sink.
I also belong to a very small forum at www.richplanet.net and have posted this that I found on ATS. The forum suffers from lack of fresh and tech input so can I ask people to keep it up to date with some of the latest discoveries.
It absolutely breaks my heart to see birds and other sealife coated, gagging in the oil sludge. How the hell can there be any recompence for these innocents? Do all of us have a case against BP for the trauma caused by such sights? If so, I Would directly pass the money onto wildlife sancturies and the poor. Im sure you Americans who appear to be such experts of litigation could raise a class action based on trauma caused to people who view such upsetting images.

[edit on 18/6/10 by IMOVERHERE]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I recently read an article where research showed that a number of events in the past which were blamed on Methane clathrate or methane ice was the cause for a sudden warm up.
This is no longer the case. The methane levels were all from after the initial warming.
The methane trapped in the ocean floor was at that time stable. The higher levels came from methane that was released from ice..

Which happens right now by the way where the tundra is turning into a swamp.

What does this mean ?

That means that the 35% extra methane is not only replacing oxygen levels in the sea, it will also affect the climate when it is released in the atmosphere. Every 1 % extra will effect the worlds sea and climate. How much is needed to be a danger to us and eventually to the whole world ?

Edit:
I have to add that our climate model could also be wrong.

[edit on 6/18/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
what exactly would a hurricane do to this? as hurricane season is coming? im interested to know what sort of an effect it would have on the methane?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I came across this report while looking up something completely different. However, I have never heard of this site and one of the sources the article sites is skeptical at best. I did want to post this and see if this may seem like it's feasible or if it can be debunked.

Here is a small excerpt from the article:
"Yes, radioactive elements occur naturally and can be found and detected in trace amounts in shallow oil reserves. Oil reserves that do not produce large amounts of methane also lack uranium and thorium. The presence of methane is proportional to the presence of uranium and thorium, both radioactive elements."

______beforeitsnews/news/81/409/Urgent_-_Radioactive_Oil_From_BP_Blowout.html

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
Is there ANYWHERE on earth that we will be safe?????
I live in s. illinois and i am already panicking about the new madrid quake/landslide to the gulf..You guys have me so stressed out about all of this..

NO! No where is safe and secure, so don't worry, be happy! There are too many good things in life to worry about what might happen. If earthquakes are your areas danger, get a camp stove, buy 20 lbs of dry rice and beans, then the enjoy the day. Life is for living!

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I came across this on Huffington Post. I know it's fairly MSM, but the guy on the video seems quite credible and settling of oil from correctix to the bottom of the gulf is an immense problem, though he doesn't talk about methance explosions, but less dramatic if equally disastrous long term effects.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthKix

Here's some educated speculation about the effects of hurricanes on this:

public.shns.com...

and

www2.tbo.com...

I think the sum up is they don't really know!

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
If the big shot oil tycoons do not STOP buying out, and crushing technologies that eliminate our need for oil, we better start searching for a DIFFERENT PLANET to live on, as we are certainly DESTROYING this one FAST!!!!

We, the common folk, wouldn't have to rely on oil if the CORRUPT oil tycoons who have only PROFIT and GREED on the their minds 24/7 would try to think about our planet and life itself for a CHANGE.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
DRILL BABY DRILL

BOOM BABY BOOM!

YEE HAW

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

I just came across an interview with Dr Deagle who echoes Hoagland's claims towards the last half. When it was pointed out that what he was saying was much like what Hoagland said, Deagle claimed he knew nothing about what Hoagland had said and this info had come to him via scientists he'd been talking to. Take it as you will....

I watched the vid and really don't know what to think, but I intuit that the language is much like Hoagland's and so I feel there is a common source (all 'these scientists' they are referring to). I am not sure I believe Deagle's claim that he was unaware of the Hoagland stuff. Also, we had billyjack (who seems very knowledgeable) lay out how it's impossible to have the sorts of pressures these guy's are claiming. Just trying to sort all this out here.

Anyhow, there seems to be a canned presentation of these certain scenarios that has my skeptical flag up. I suspect a gloom and doom dis-info agenda with this Deagle and Hoagland (to what end I don't know, and I suspect common ties at some level).

[edit on 18-6-2010 by whatsup]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Watching the plume on MSNBC right now. The color has completely changed. It used to be black. Now it is looking silvery white. I am assuming much less oil now
and way more methane and other gases? The amount coming out is still looking the same, just a lot lighter. I can easily think of the plume as at least 40 percent methane the way it looks.

Also, they are saying they are going to capture 80,000 barrels a day, or 90 percent of the oil, and they are only admitting to 60,000 barrels. I am no math whiz, but how does that even make sense? Especially when it now looks like mostly gases coming out? They don't even care any more that they aren't making sense

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join