It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions About Future Of Internet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
As you are already aware, efforts are underway to grant TPTB an option to shutdown the internet as we know it. Companies would face severe fines if they don't obey.

Some related threads here-
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Anyways I was wondering what would happen when and if they do, in fact, shut it down. Some replacement will eventually be offered, but would it be anything close to what we have now?

You have to think sites like ATS would not be allowed to continue, it would be identified as a homegrown terrorist gathering spot or something of that nature.

Most futuristic movies depict an interactive, positive experience....

What do you think Internet 2.0 will be like?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
They can't shut down the internet, there is no magic 'kill switch' as its been dubbed, thats a total load of bull. Although they can severely damage existing organizations and infrastructure, the internet can still be accessed and utilized even if it would be in a less user friendly way. If extreme gets to extreme, instructions on how to wire through remotely organized VPN's can spread like wildfire through the populace.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I dont believe they will be able to shutdown the internet, if they do a lot of $$ will be lost

the reality is that everything will become cloud computing:your files, songs, movies, you will watch only what you want

even gaming eventually if they can progress the latency issues may become cloud computing (yes, there is companies offering services, but I assure you it will suck)

you wont need any high tech device in your house, you will probably be able to access any service you want from anything thought the internet, instead of having to install anything or buy devices/services

security >

they are already working on E-ids, so we probably will need to have an ID to access the internet and everything we do will be logged, since it is going to be more easy to do it, more control, less freedom

websites like this wont exist, for sure in countries like the US, only if it is a government study

the only way to avoid all of this will be to advanced users try to bypass the system, but that wont matter much, since most users wont be able to access these private contents

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
The future internet will probably be just a place for advertisements, since the FCC is now going to regulate it:
thehill.com...
The cost for sites like this one will likely sky rocket, leaving only the most greedy corporations to have a presence.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

What about the not-so-computer savvy masses? Surely something will be offered, that's where I was going. A system to track us, or even alert authorities when certain sites are accessed, or key words typed in searches.

I suppose that's already happening anyway though...

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

lol try to surf the net without the major internet backbones and it wont be pretty
Plus if they shut down all the service providers you couldn't really do crap.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
The future does look bleak for the internet, the main points:

- Large industries (music, movie, gaming) want to control the internet because people keep copying their copyrighted files.

- Television networks and their advertisers want to control the internet because people are moving away from TV, and these guys didn't get involved with the internet early enough, and are now losing money because of it. Internet is surpassing TV.

- Governments want to control the internet because, unlike old media, they can't control what their people can watch or read.

I believe that at some point in the future, a government will stage a devastating "cyber terrorist" event which will bring down multiple high-profile sites, and maybe shut down certain services. They will use this faked attack as an excuse to introduce Internet Passports/IDs, removing anonymity from the internet.

What happens from then on? Well, that's up to us. I'm certain that someone, somewhere, will set up their own version of the internet after the old net has been ruined by corporations and governments, the question is, will those governments make alternative networks illegal? Probably.

It may take something drastic to keep control of our (Al Gore's) internet.

top topics

join