It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bubble gum boy says he always chews Hubba Bubba after court stoush

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawkwind.

Dunno about Australia, but in Britain contempt of court is a jailable offence.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Contempt of court is never supposed to be meted out without due warning. Blowing bubble-gum is hardly standing up and repeatedly swearing at the judge. If the guy didn't do it out of contempt and it wasn't apparent to him that it was contemptible then the judgment is bogus.

[edit on 18/6/10 by pieman]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mike_A
So what? What kind of attitude is that?

So I’m sick of six year olds giving people the eye and swearing at strangers because their parents think “so what, deal with it”, so I’m sick of people blowing smoke in everyone else’s face because they think “so what, deal with it”, so I’m sick of people disregarding other people, being generally rude and disrespectful all because no one has taken them aside and told them that they’re being an arse.

If it takes a court to do that then so be it; there are established rules and norms of behaviour in court, breaking them has consequences.

You don't need laws or judges for this? You need to address them one by one. I have scolded other people's kids. I have even taken on by the hand and led him around my retail lobby and made him fix everything he destroyed. His mother was so mad she could hardly breathe and she stormed out and didn't buy anything, but the rest of the lobby applauded when she left!

You handle these situations in person, when they occur. There is such a thing as personal responsibility. Let someone blow smoke in my face! See if they do it a second time after I bring it to their attention. Better yet, see if they enjoy smoking through a straw after they ignore my first warning.

We don't need more laws, and more judges, and more whining......what we need is more responsibility, and more people that will stand up for what is right! We know what it is, and most people are afraid to point it out when it slaps them in the face. (I was once sitting outside an Olive Garden about to spank my 3 year old for not quieting down inside, he was warned and warned, and he knew better, and he was disturbing the other people, this lady stops to look at me and basically dare me to spank him, I literally "barked" at her. I turned and said, "go on" in my gruffest voice and she scuttled away. The kid got a couple of swats and sat on my knee and we talked until he quit crying. We went back inside and he was an angel for the next 45 minutes. I'd like to see that lady's kids. :roll

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Power-tripping judge, ought to grow some balls and quit complaining at everything in his life. What next, sending someone to jail because they wore the wrong colour tie or for having Blue eyes instead of Brown.
The Law is unjust as its Christian based, and as such unfairly treats those who otherwise should be judged in a societal means, and not by some mythical book written 2000 years ago to which we all (for some reason never told to us) have to adhere to.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by RUDDD49]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Not particularly. It's an admirable quality but I see nothing to suggest that it should be mandatory.

Well then f**k you, you sh***y, stupid, c**t; I think you’re probably a pedo and I hope your knob rots off.

Not really of course but if you’re seriously advocating a total moratorium on respectful behaviour or discourse then you can’t really complain whether I meant it or not; not morally at least.

As for who decides what is respectful, society does, as a collective we develop social rules and norms. They’re not universal of course and someone drunk in a bar or chewing gum while having a casual conversation probably wouldn’t bother most people but put those into a different context and you change the meaning; most people know this tacitly if not explicitly. Most people probably wouldn’t go around swearing in a school playground and they probably wouldn’t get drunk on a bus in the middle of the day; that’s because we have collectively developed these informal conventions that say you don’t do that because most people don’t like it.

The key principle being that the world does not revolve around you and what you like; you don’t have to act like you’re visiting your gran all the time you just have to take care in your behaviour and balance it against what you need to do/say and how it affects other people.

And that principle of natural justice has nothing to do with this; as the man was held in contempt of court the offended party was the court not the magistrate.

reply to post by Hawkwind.

If you go through some of my past posts in this thread you’ll see I agree that a lighter punishment would have been more appropriate. I am arguing against the general attitude that this persons right individual freedoms comes above all else.

reply to post by getreadyalready

I totally agree. I’m not arguing that we need judges or new laws; my point is the attitude that personal freedom comes above responsibility is massively lopsided and that when even a court of law can’t enforce respect within its chambers then this attitude has reached a dangerous level.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
the offender was a grubby arrogant little turd that needed a good kick up the
bum.

fact: he went to court for bashing some.

fact: he turned up to court chewing bubble gum like an 8 yr old kid on a class outing.

it would actually be interesting to find out the opinion of the poor bloke he assaulted.

the assaulted is the REAL victim here.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

Originally posted by seenitall
Well firstly he went in for assault.

Have you heard of innocent until proven guilty?

Secondly did you see the guy?

There's a picture of him in the article that I linked. So you think that Justice should apply to people based on their looks?

You do realise that some Judges wear fake wigs - right? They should be arrested for trying to disguise their identity. Are they that afraid of owning up to their poor rulings?

Thirdly, you have respect in court.

No, you don't. Respect is earned. Why should you have to show respect to someone who doesn't know you, yet is going to pass judgement on you?

Other than studying at University, what fundamental right does that person have to dictate how the rest of your life will pan out?

I've got nothing but contempt for almost all aspects of the legal/justice system. It's a sham.

All I can say : Owned

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join