It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artistic Synchronicity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Anti-mimesis as a philisophical position is summed up well by the famous Oscar Wilde quote from his 1889 essay, The Decay of Lying; "Life imitates Art far more than Art imitates Life". Seems like everywhere I look these days I find startling examples of just how true this statement can be. My interest in the matter was sparked from a synchronicity between the Mayan calendar epoch date and the supposed date of the Philadelphia Experiment/Montauk Project. Whether or not the Philadelphia Experiment was in fact fiction, one possible date for the final experiment is August 12, 1943. Being familiar to these boards and it's regular topics I have come across the Mayan epoch date of August 12, 3113 BC, where December 21, 2012 is the calendar's last day.This initially struck me as an odd coincidence but lately I'm not sure coincidence is a sufficient term to describe the implications or probability these synchronicities embrace.

Next is the curious case of The Daily Telegraph's coincidental crossword puzzles. In 1944 just prior to D-Day, UK newspaper The Daily Telegraph printed a series of crossword puzzles which contained upwards of ten specific names of allied military operations in WWII. At the time, Leonard Dawe was the crossword compiler for The Daily Telegraph. He was rigorously questioned but eventually absolved of charges. Supposedly a few of Dawe's students who helped fill in the puzzles, overheard the words from soldiers while hanging around military bases close to their school.

How about the 1898 novella titled Futility that tells of an ocean liner named The Titan which hits an iceberg and sinks in the North Atlantic. Author Morgan Robertson depicts a goliath ship which at the time was the largest in the world. Soon after it's christening The Titan sank, leaving many passengers to drown in the freezing Atlantic. Minimal life boats and excessive speed where the causes of the tragedy. Fourteen years later the famous steamship RMS Titanic sank under almost the exact circumstances as The Titan.

My last example of anti-mimesis has to do with the latest and greatest disaster in recent history, the BP oil spill. While some of you may have heard of the movie Knowing and it's prophetic oil spill reference, there is another eerie oil spill similarity I found in the childrens' cartoon Captain Planet. The following video is the pilot episode for Captain Planet and the Planeteers in which the villan's oil rig is damaged and massive amounts of oil spew into the ocean effecting many marine animals. Check out 5:55.

With all these synchronicities in mind I'm curious as to what the ATS community has to say. I'd like to compile a list of similar cases of anti-mimesis or artistic synchronicity and any possible causes or theories. Any help is much appreciated.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Don't forget the book The Final Jihad written by Martin Keating. It tells of a man named Tom McVeigh who bombs a building in Oklahoma. It was written before the attack. Here's a video:

Also, not really a synchronicity with art but this is quite interesting:
en.wikipedia.org...
"Raymond Lee Harvey was an Ohio-born unemployed American drifter. He was arrested by the Secret Service after being found carrying a starter pistol with blank rounds, ten minutes before President Jimmy Carter was to give a speech at the Civic Center Mall in Los Angeles on May 5, 1979."

"According to Harvey, he fired seven blank rounds from the starter pistol on the hotel roof on the night of May 4, to test how much noise it would make, and then spent the night with one of the men he knew as "Julio", later identified as a 21-year-old illegal Mexican alien who gave the name Osvaldo Espinoza Ortiz. At the time of his arrest, Harvey had eight spent rounds in his pocket, as well as 70 unspent blank rounds for the gun."

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Ive often felt that eerie coincidences like this prove that time looping and parallel universes exist. a glitch in the matrix maybe?

(edit to change 'exists' to 'exist'!)

[edit on 6/18/2010 by The Endtime Warrior]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot
Don't forget the book The Final Jihad written by Martin Keating. It tells of a man named Tom McVeigh who bombs a building in Oklahoma.

Wow. This is just the example I hoped for, thank you. It's almost hard to believe the Tim/Tom "coincidence". Starred.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by EvaDavE]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
The BlackJack slides hold bits of anit-mimesis. In this slide there are seventeen brackets filled with names of fictional characters set to carry out the nuclear attacks outlined in the slideshow. Yesterday a Fox news exclusive warned of a Be On The Lookout(BOLO) to all law enforcement. Seventeen Afagan military officers went AWOL in Texas while participating in a pilot training program. This thread discusses the "coincidence".

[edit on 18-6-2010 by EvaDavE]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
How about the "Pilot" episode for the TV series The Lone Gunmen which aired six months before 9/11. The plot references a possible terrorist attack in New York using 747s!

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
double
please delete

[edit on 23-6-2010 by ListenD]

new topics

top topics

join