It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electronic Armageddon: How An EMP Bomb Would Be A Deathblow To Life As We Know It (VIDEO)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
While the title "EMP bomb" implies a man-made weapon to be the cause of the disaster, the Sun itself could could soon deliver the same disaster. While most of us have known this to be possible, two recently published articles warn that this could happen sooner than later. A NASA scientist tells us that the Sun is waking up and that solar activity is entering its peak.

"In less than a billionth of a second, the electrical intensity on Earth's surface would become so hot that microchips would fry, power lines would overload and the electric grid would collapse," says National Geographic, describing . "Everything with microelectronics in it would stop: your car, your computer, the subway. There would be no electricity."

Source (with video explaining the physics)

Another article goes on to say that the Sun itself is "waking up" and may wreak havoc on our electronics, including satellites, and cost over $2 trillion in one year.

While so far we've escaped any big solar storms, one NASA scientist says, "the Sun is waking up from a deep slumber," and that massive solar activity is likely to increase.

Source:
A Massive Solar Storm Could Cause Damages 20 Times The Cost Of Hurricane Katrina (VIDEO)

I wonder what steps we would take to recover from such a disaster. Imagine no cell phones, no internet, no car. What about pacemakers and people in the hospital on life support?

Talk about chaos!

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by glitchinmymatrix

Dear glitchinmymatrix

There are communities even in the US of A that will not be affected in anyway, well not by the sun having a tantrum anyway. The vast majority of Africa will go untouched and a hell of a lot of Asia.

Why because they don’t use it. We moronically think we are smart they won’t even know it happened.

So now who is a fool.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by MAC269]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by glitchinmymatrix

I think the worst thing would be that a global EMP could knock planes right out of the sky. I guess the chaos from loss of infrastructure would technically be worse but hopefully there are contingency plans for things like this.

I doubt the sun will do something so drastic though it is meant to enter its maximum in the next few years lately the sun has been acting strange and its lead scientists to believe they don't have as good a grasp on solar cycles as they once thought. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but at the same time it doesn't hurt to have a survival kit.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Imagine no cell phones, no internet, no car.

What ever will we do? Kids might have to play outside, neighbors might have to accually talk to each other and UGH help each other...

But seriously, the real dangers would be no help in case of emergencies. Again, people would have to help each other but the good news is disasters tend to bring out the best in us (or maby I've been watching too many movies?)

Unfortunatly I think people with pacemakers and on life support would be SOL. I wonder if back up generators would still be useable or easily fixable in this situation? They might at least help the people on life support...

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
A common misconception.

The Sun does not produce an EMP. The effects of a geomagnetic storm produced by a CME from the Sun are quite different from those produced by a nuclear weapon. A powerful geomagnetic storm can produce power surges in electrical transmission lines which can burn out transformers and cause portions of the electrical grid to become inoperative. It can also cause problems for satellites. But it does not destroy electronics. Unless your laptop, iPod, or car is plugged into the power grid at the time, they will experience no problem. Pacemakers are not affected.

Yes, a powerful geomagnetic storm would be a bad thing due to our dependence on electricity but it would not mean the end of civilization. Geomagnetic storms affect mostly higher latitudes, they are not global events.

[edit on 6/18/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

yes ... but 99,9999% of the world economy will go DOWN hard

reply to post by Phage

it wont end civilization, but it could end the economy as we know it and the system as we know it if it destroys communication and energy systems

[edit on 18/6/10 by Faiol]

top topics

join