It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slippery Lithospheres, Geomagnetics, and Recent Disturbances of All Kinds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Lately it seems like there are more earthquakes – just maybe in the last month or so – but it has not proven because it remains within the range of extremes over the years that USGS gives in their online statistics. It does seem like every time I log on to ATS, I see a little box on the right about an EQ >5 somewhere in the world.

Then there are the sinkholes, namely in Guatemala City and in China. Granted, the Guatemala hole is probably attributable to old and substandard infrastructure under the buildings in the area. The sinkhole in 2007 is less than a mile away, from what I understand. In addition, rains also contributed to the subsidence in both places.

But…there is a nagging thought in my head that we are experiencing a rare but not impossible or unheard of geologic event on the Earth. Another symptom, or indication, of this is the oil rig accidents in Pennsylvania and I think, Texas? There was a bad oil spill in Ohio. Not to mention some increased volcanic activity in various places.

The thought I have is that the Earth’s crust is on the verge of slipping, in one piece, upon the liquid underneath. Not the same thing as the tectonic plates working to and fro against each other until a slip causes an earthquake; this is more like a loose fruit skin, maybe a peach, sliding over the flesh underneath.

The pole shift is a familiar subject to most of us here, and it has a myriad of different scenarios and consequent aftermaths attached to it because although we know that magnetic reversal does happen, from the evidence in the rocks on the seafloor, we do not know what exactly happens, both within the Earth as well as upon it.

We truly have no idea what to expect and are only just beginning to understand some of the mechanics behind the phenomenon.

I will now give an overview of my thought, and then follow by elaborating anything necessary to give the reader the clearest possible description of my idea.

The theory that the Earth’s crust might slip, as one piece, dramatically and over a relatively short time period, geologically speaking; over the course of a few centuries, was presented by Charles H. Hapsgood in the early part of the last century. Albert Einstein supported Hapsgood’s ideas and gave good reasons for doing so.

Hapsgood’s Theory of Earth Crust Displacement

His ideas were eventually somewhat discredited in the eyes of the scientific world due to some inadequate supporting evidence in regard to his idea that Antarctica was actually the lost continent of Atlantis, having slipped around 30° around the globe from where many think of the original location of Atlantis, near the Bermuda Triangle, all the way down to the South Pole.

But throwing that one part of his theory out, since it really isn’t part of the theory but rather what was probably the inspiration of his curiosity into the matter, and was probably a personal wish rather than a public possibility, the rest of his thinking on the subject seems pretty logical and plausible to me.

I guess I have a pet theory of my own, similar to Hapsgood’s, in regard to Atlantis. It maybe a plausible theory and then again, it may turn out to be unlikely or even impossible.

I think that there was a crustal displacement, just as he hypothesized, connected with the end of the last ice age and the resulting re-arranging of the Earth’s body mass to maintain a stable rotation and orbit.

Instead of going south, though, I think that part of the lost island of Atlantis ended up on the East side of the North Sea, on the west coast of Mainland Orkney Scotland, at a place called Skara Brae.

Skara Brae is supposedly an abandoned Neolithic community site, but there are some out of place clues and anomalies that seem to suggest otherwise.

Hieroglyphics at Skara Brae

The author of this site really did some good investigating and research and it is very interesting, but she proposes that the inhabitants of Skara Brae came there from Egypt. Given the evidence she is working with, it is far more likely that the residents left Skara Brae and wound up in Egypt.

A recent find by an ATS member, resulting in this thread, supports a migration from Skara Brae to Egypt, but not from Egypt to Skara Brae: King Tut’s DNA is a 99.6 percent fit with the R1b haplogroup, which is the most common Y-chromosome haplogroup in Europe reaching its highest concentrations in Ireland, Scotland, and western England.

Skara Brae is on the western coast of Orkney, right in the heart of haplogroup R1b’s concentration!

Going back to the crustal slip theory, Albert Einstein outlined his support for Hapsgood’s theory in a forward written for one of Hapsgood’s books:

In a polar region, there is continual deposition of ice, which is not symmetrically distributed about the pole. The earth’s rotation acts on these unsymmetrical deposited masses, and produces centrifugal momentum that is transmitted to the rigid crust of the earth. The constantly increasing centrifugal momentum produced in this way will, when it has reached a certain point, produce a movement of the earth’s crust over the rest of the earth’s body... (Hapsgood, 1958, p. 1)

So, the causal agent in one theory of crust slippage has to do with the re-distribution of mass necessary following an event that greatly changes the topography in regard to weight and and mass. Such an event would be inevitable in response to a melting or freezing event in the ice caps, such as what took place 12,000 or so years ago, at the end of the last ice age.

A melting event of that magnitude would, according to Hapsgood’s theory, have the potential to slide the crust, as a unit, a full 30° in any direction, and quite possibly this could relocate ruins from a southern Atlantic ocean point all the way to where Skara Brae is, today.

Therefore, given that possibility, that what is left of Atlantis is called Skara Brae today, having migrated through the processes of the slipping lithosphere, we can then consider what might be the cause behind the mysterious polarity-swap of the North and South poles.

A full explanation is found here, and I will mention the highlights as they pertain to the topic at hand:

1. Two of the "new" authors, J. Kirschvink and D.A. Evans, are at the prestigious California Institute of Technology, while Hapsgood was a PhD-less history professor at Keene State College. Status is important when theorizing.
  2. Kirschvink et al propose a scientifically acceptable mechanism for the onset of rapid crustal slippage. They visualize a huge chunk of the seafloor suddenly foundering and thereby changing the planet's mass distribution. This imbalance caused the continents to shift rapidly in order to restore the smooth rotation of the earth around its spin axis. Within a period of 15 million years, they envisage, the continents had slipped about 90°. Part of what is now North America moved from the South Pole to near the Equator. Evidence for this huge shift is seen in measurements of the earth's magnetic field frozen in the rocks. In other words, Kirschvink et al used the methods of paleomagnetism.
  3. The "new" crustal slippage is really only accelerated continental drift (a dominant and well-established paradigm) and not the more radical notion of the entire outer layer of crust slipping over the earth's mantle like a greased onion skin. Nor is the proposed process anything like pole flipping, where the entire planet flips 180° like a Tippy-Top -- a dynamically impossible event. (SF#6/224)
  4. The proposed foundering of that chunk of seafloor occurred 534 million years ago, roughly coincident with the Cambrian Explosion of new life forms (new phyla). The resulting gross climate changes and environmental havoc could have been conducive to the rapid evolution of life. Although today's scientists favor this linkage of catastrophism to rapid speciation, Berkeley paleontologist J. Valentine admitted that, "...it doesn't provide a specific mechanism by which animals suddenly evolved new "body plans." Even so, scientists have long searched for an event -- any -- that might explain the puzzling Cambrian Explosion.

What I found significant in that list is this: “They visualize a huge chunk of the seafloor suddenly foundering and thereby changing the planet's mass distribution.”

The disaster in the gulf might very well fit that description, following the latest rumors that the earth surrounding the well casing is a crumbling mess that is collapsing underneath the sea bed.

This could be a causative event. It also might be the effect of the geologic changes from a slipping of the lithosphere, brought on by the efforts toward redistribution of weight in response to the melting ice caps at both poles, in recent years up until right now; something still in the process of major change.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
We are in the age of communication. It may seem that we are experiencing more problems of late, but that fact remains, we get information much quicker than we used too and in much greater detail. We are not at all in any worse shape than anytime before.

Yes, the world heats and yes the world cools. Then, there are many other miniscule things that happen to the earth that make major changes.

We have become a paranoid society. Lets evaluate things on our mere several hundred years of observation and place in that very miniscule time period. Lets chill out a bit. Well, I will admit BP is huge mess. I would like to use expletives, but I will get deleted.

Nothing but love OP.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by queenannie38

And guess what BP tapped into .
Bingo ,
wait till the bearings start to get hot and make a humming noise and the grinding starts to cause friction, and all that sea water they have been pumpimg into the earths crust for years, to replace the oil pockets, starts to heat up as steam, and the foundation cracks again, like the 8.8 mag earthquake which made the earth shudder and move 10ft to the right, easter weekend, remember.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

yes, i am of the mind that BP tapped into an ARTERY as opposed to a VEIN in our dear Mother.

i think that the oilfields down in that strata must surely be of a different breed entirely, from what gets tapped into with land-lubber rigs.

they went down a mile and then drilled a very deep hole - we really don't get to those depths except for mining and drilling. when drilling, there isn't really any way to get a clear understanding of what is going on with the added variables like water pressure and increased intensity of oil flow and perhaps even factors we don't known about yet!

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by queenannie38

Ya i mean there have been numbers like 30,000 ft deep, and pressure in the 70,000 p.s.i range,,,totaly unheard of. They blew it big time i do believe that is exactly what they did, and u know what they say about mother nature and a vacumn. not looking good may only be a matter of a small amount of time before physics takes over.
God help us.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
You get a star and flag because:

This was a fresh interesting post beyond the norm of late.. everyone posting the same things over and over said different ways.

You have given us an interesting theory to look at. You have solved the riddle of Atlantis, (if true) and have related the theory to the gulf oil spill. That's pretty good I think.

I will enjoy the links you posted about this theory.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Geez i have a better reason why we might be facing all these new starnge and all these impossible events we had, have you ever wonderd for one min about the crossing of planet x maybe?

You should if theres a huge planet or star coming our way, our earth will experience great changes.

Of coruse your dare trusted buddy NASA wont help you or tell you the truth about it, cause they are trying to prevent a global painc.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

[edit on 18-6-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

S & F to you OP, great post and interesting ideas !

At Agent_USA_Supporter : I love the good ol' nibiru theories, but with all the people with professional telescopes and all, where's the proof ? 2012 is like one and a half years away, Nibiru should be in our solar system and visible.... but where is it ?

Peace !

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
In the Webbot report it describes a movement that would be the result of a 9.0+ but in slow motion. (maybe not those exact words)

I have seen such strata on earth and I have seen where sediment layers are twisted and folded on top of each other like they were put in a mixer.

Lecture XVI. Folding Rocks

I also live in the Rocky Mountain range and I can attest to the formations that something dramatic created them. Undulating and floundering is not hard to imagine based on the evidence in the rock.

There is also the new thought about how the Grand Canyon was not created over thousands of years, but in rather in a single event. The oceans thrust up and out of their basins washing across the ground and cutting a gorge in a matter of weeks. I can see it now. I used to think slow glacier melt to river to "the power of the river" cutting through, not any more I don't.

I could imagine what that would be like when the ground turns Plastique. Like a drunkerd. Wow S&F

new topics

top topics

join