It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tony Hayward Hearing - Plans to Siphon 80,000 Barrels - Is the Spill over 100,000?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
During today's hearing regarding Tony Hayward and the Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill, Tony Hayward was telling the committee how much oil they plan to be able to siphon off and capture in the following months. At one point he said they hope to capture up to 80,000 barrels per day.

To my knowledge, this seems to mean that the the size of the spill is now officially around 100,000 barrels per day, or 4.2 million gallons per day. BP has repeatedly said that what they do the well, if they fail, could increase the flow rate of the spill, and they have failed everytime. Tuesday's announcement of the new flow rate, 40-60,000 barrels per day, was based on old readings as well. Include all that along with BP's PR strategy which is simply damage control, or "down play the negative, point out the positive," which I assume they are still using, and it becomes fathomable to believe the spill is still larger than 100,000 barrels per day.

I know the oil threads are getting old, but this story just gets deeper and deeper, and as a Broadcast Communications Journalism major, I feel it is my duty to keep you all informed, as many of us do. Besides it is good training.

abcnews.go.com...

articles.latimes.com...

www.independent.co.uk...

"By mid-July this should rise to between 60,000 and 80,000 barrels a day, he said."

Also, Check out this heckler.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 17-6-2010 by SubPop79]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
It doesn't matter if we're talking 10K or 80K barrels a day.

But my question is to all you clever ATS'ers is : -

When that much oil is coming out of the ground, what happens to the space it occupied?

Do it fill up with seawater or does it remain a large air pocket with potential to collapse in on itself etc?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by minkey53

This is actually a very astute observation. Is this place geologically stable? What will happen when the oil and gas holding up the ceiling of the chasm escapes leaving the rock structure the bulk of the stress of itself and a mile of seawater?

That would be a very bad, and hopefully unlikely scenario, but I have thought about it.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by Lunatic Pandora]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SubPop79

You may have got the calculation wrong and misunderstood that bastard was saying.

The flow daily may be anything from 5000 to 40000 barrels daily and it had been flowing daily for the past few weeks, meaning there are still plenty of existing oil flowing around the gulf even should the dome be working.

It is those existing oil that BP MUST capture as well, or with the weather patterns comming up, it may contaminate other shores.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I have been watching that thing since day one and there is no way it was fluctuating from 5- 40,000 barrels. Maybe 20-40,00. The gush has been steady throughout every phase of thing. The initial leak. The top hat. The top kill. From observation the spill size has increased in phases and is now truly at the catastrophic level we have feared from day one.

When it comes to the actually impact of it all, the amount of oil is one thing, already a problem. There is the corexit, just as toxic as the oil if not more. Then there is the gas leak. Ecosystems are destroyed if the average temperature rises but just a few degrees. Imagine what happens when the oxygen levels are depleted to the point of breathlessness. Here we have organisms being coated in sure death, a gas "cloud" or unknown size, and corexit. We have three problems. Oil is one of them.

new topics

top topics

join