It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible advance in the field of Cryogenics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
io9.com...

Phew - now we can freeze Luke Wilson and save the future!!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

A research scientist in a Seattle cancer laboratory has discovered the secret to reanimating organisms that had been frozen to a temperature below survivable limits.

So were they frozen or not? From the article it sounds like they weren't. The frozen part still seems to be a problem since it destroys the cell membrane.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I created a thread about this Here sometime back...fascinating stuff

A more descriptive link can be located HERE

A general landmark:

Roth has found ways to extend that window to six hours. That’s how long he got mice to stay in hydrogen sulfide suspended animation and be revived successfully. Furthermore, those mice survived the process with only 60% of their blood! That level of blood loss represents a sever trauma – a gunshot wound or partial loss of limb.

Good news...short term, it may be very helpful when coming to an accident or in a battlefield where someone is about to die...put them on ice and take your time...those critical minutes could turn into not soo critical hours.

Long term benefits are of course obvious

I look forward to watch this technology develop...its a pity the government isn't fueling this research with multi billion dollar grants...granted, its only a gamechanger for all of humanity and making bombs to remove people verses keep everyone around is more important...-sighs-

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
That would be pretty cool I guess.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Sounds like a HUGE step forward for both medical technology and possible future application to space travel for humans.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by Practical Prodigy]

new topics

top topics

join