It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crude-Sucking Barges Stopped by Coast Guard

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Eight days ago, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal ordered barges to begin vacuuming crude oil out of his state's oil-soaked waters. Today, against the governor's wishes, those barges sat idle, even as more oil flowed toward the Louisiana shore. "It's the most frustrating thing," the Republican governor said today in Buras, La. "Literally, yesterday morning we found out that they were halting all of these barges." Watch "World News" for David Muir's report from Louisiana tonight. Sixteen barges sat stationary today, although they were sucking up thousands of gallons of BP's oil as recently as Tuesday. Workers in hazmat suits and gas masks pumped the oil out of the Louisiana waters and into steel tanks. It was a homegrown idea that seemed to be effective at collecting the thick gunk. "These barges work. You've seen them work. You've seen them suck oil out of the water," said Jindal. Coast Guard Orders Barges to Stop So why stop now? "The Coast Guard came and shut them down," Jindal said. "You got men on the barges in the oil, and they have been told by the Coast Guard, 'Cease and desist. Stop sucking up that oil.'" A Coast Guard representative told ABC News today that it shares the same goal as the governor. "We are all in this together. The enemy is the oil," said Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Dan Lauer. But the Coast Guard ordered the stoppage because of reasons that Jindal found frustrating. The Coast Guard needed to confirm that there were fire extinguishers and life vests on board, and then it had trouble contacting the people who built the barges. Louisiana Governor Couldn't Overrule Coast Guard The governor said he didn't have the authority to overrule the Coast Guard's decision, though he said he tried to reach the White House to raise his concerns. "They promised us they were going to get it done as quickly as possible," he said. But "every time you talk to someone different at the Coast Guard, you get a different answer." After Jindal strenuously made his case, the barges finally got the go-ahead today to return to the Gulf and get back to work, after more than 24 hours of sitting idle. Along Gulf Coast, Governors Ask, 'Who's In Charge?' Fifty-nine days into the crisis, it still can be tough to figure out who is in charge in Louisiana, and the problem appears to be the same in other Gulf Coast states. In Alabama today, Gov. Bob Riley said that he's had problems with the Coast Guard, too. Riley, R-Ala., asked the Coast Guard to find ocean boom tall enough to handle strong waves and protect his shoreline. The Coast Guard went all the way to Bahrain to find it, but when it came time to deploy it? "It was picked up and moved to Louisiana," Riley said today. The governor said the problem is there's still no single person giving a "yes" or "no." While the Gulf Coast governors have developed plans with the Coast Guard's command center in the Gulf, things begin to shift when other agencies start weighing in, like the Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. "It's like this huge committee down there," Riley said, "and every decision that we try to implement, any one person on that committee has absolute veto power."

abcnews.go.com...

The more I read, the more I just shake my head. What is wrong with these people?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I'm guessing there is a dispute as to who owns the salvaged crude. Maybe BP can press charges against the people cleaning up beaches for theft of their property. Maybe pirates will save the day. I'm depressed today.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Whats the big deal?

Seems there were safety concerns that the Coast Guard had to look into, once those concerns were addressed the barges were allowed to continue. It explains everything in the article, did you read it or just hear that boats were stopped and your conspiracy light went off?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Their is one person responsible for coordinating all the different agencies. He has the authority to order the Coast Guard to stand down and back off. His name is Barak Obama. The only people who can override him is the state's Governor's. They need to grow some spines and protect their individual states. As for the safety concerns, what is more important? The proper amount of fire extinguishers or total devastation to the entire gulf coast, many animal and plant species, health of the entire coastal human population?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
These state's Governor's need to call out there state guard units just to run off the feds.

Lets see a coast guard sailor stand up to a state guardsmen with a M16.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Sounds like an inexperienced rookie is running this country, er, I mean this disaster response

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThaLoccster
Whats the big deal?

Simple answer to a
question:

A "furious" obama wanting to "kick some a$$", should be ordering EVERYONE under his command to expedite things that will help clean up and stop the spill. Instead he is partying and grandstanding - all fluff and no substance.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

I didn't think this thread was about Obama. I thought it was about the Coast Guard stopping these barges.

My bad for posting on topic.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

I didn't think this thread was about Obama. I thought it was about the Coast Guard stopping these barges.

My bad for posting on topic.

At least you'd like to hope obama could avoid having this disaster pinned on him like Katrina was for Bush.

The buck stops where?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

The Coast Guard needed to confirm that there were fire extinguishers and life vests on board, and then it had trouble contacting the people who built the barges. Louisiana Governor Couldn't Overrule Coast Guard

lame

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

No I'd HOPE to avoid petty blame games and your president is worse than my president games.

I'd HOPE to find a way to stop this disaster that is destroying the Gulf.

But instead...

Its Bush's fault for not enforcing stricter regulations on oil rigs.

OoOo this IS fun.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Wow,

So the own governor isn't allowed to clean his own states water.

How despicable can the Corporate gov. get?

[edit on 18-6-2010 by Quickfix]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

No I'd HOPE to avoid petty blame games and your president is worse than my president games.

I'd HOPE to find a way to stop this disaster that is destroying the Gulf.

But instead...

Its Bush's fault for not enforcing stricter regulations on oil rigs.

OoOo this IS fun.

We've all heard over and over how EVERYTHING negative that happens on obama's watch is Bush's "fault". And the oil rig was last certified to be safe under which administration?

The OP IS about doing everything it takes to clean up and stop the oil spill. Last time we checked, Bush hadn't been in charge for over a year. Time for the o-man to grow a set and be responsible for something going on during his watch.

Paraphrasing Reagan, "Mr. Obama, fix this issue".

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I am not into blaming Bush. I am not into blaming Obama. I am not even into blaming BP. What makes me sick is for the past 60 days, all the powers that be seem to be acting like they are in a giant pi$$'n contest. I don't care who is at fault and who is to blame. Just fix the dang problem! As I type this message, I am waching the live feed of the oil leak. Guess what, it is still flowing like crazy. There will be enough time later to point the fingers. My message to the powers that be, pull your pants back up and quit trying to see who has the biggest member as part of your power struggle. Focus on stopping this! Communicate with each other! Understand that in times of national emergency, all the hoops and red tape are not as critical. Sorry, I am just very frustated with all this.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by indigothefish

The Coast Guard needed to confirm that there were fire extinguishers and life vests on board, and then it had trouble contacting the people who built the barges. Louisiana Governor Couldn't Overrule Coast Guard

lame

It is more than lame it is stupidly insane. Why in the world couldn't they just get verbal confirmation from the ships Captain?

new topics

top topics

join